News Article: The Sam Girard Question

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Very well put together article.

A little bit overpaid is pretty much where I come out in him too.

I’d also agree that he hasn’t been as bad as the +/- indicates.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

At his current play he's under paid. If he doesn't keep it up through the playoffs I'll agree though.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
If you trade anyone on the defense, it’s Manson. Health has been an issue going back to Anaheim. Not likely to get better.
Manson fits the AVS on that topic. :laugh:

Take a look at our D without Manson. Soft as butter. Especially when the playoffs roll around.

The odd man out will be Toews. And it will be this summer. He will ask 6 mill north at least, and he deserves his paycheck.

Reactions: Alienblood

Brett44

Feb 11, 2017
i think we can trade both Toews and Girard(i like him).
Toews + somebody like Beaucage for Kuznetsov (3M retain) and Fehervary
Girard + Ranta for Bennett

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
i think we can trade both Toews and Girard(i like him).
Toews + somebody like Beaucage for Kuznetsov (3M retain) and Fehervary
Girard + Ranta for Bennett

1680703241464.png

Reactions: Pokecheque

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

I don’t even think he’s overpaid. Market value I’d say. Even with the bad start he’s pacing for ~40 points and has been significantly better defensively the back half of the season.

AvBuff

May 1, 2019
Nothing really surprising in AJ's analysis. SG's strengths are significant: great awareness, a tremendous skater, fast, a good shot, good on the PP, a great puck mover.

He's just . . . not big. Most of the time SG's positives outweigh the negatives. But when he gets, uh, "outsized" we really notice it.

Reactions: Vk1ing

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
Nothing really surprising in AJ's analysis. SG's strengths are significant: great awareness, a tremendous skater, fast, a good shot, good on the PP, a great puck mover.

He's just . . . not big. Most of the time SG's positives outweigh the negatives. But when he gets, uh, "outsized" we really notice it.
And the size issues are amplified when he's not paired with a larger, more physical guy. This Byram/Girard pairing has been bad for both of them defensively.

Put Girard back with EJ or Manson ASAP.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
If you trade anyone on the defense, it’s Manson. Health has been an issue going back to Anaheim. Not likely to get better.
Can't right now, but nobody will touch that contract until he's a pending UFA. I've loved Manson forever, and have been historically one of his biggest supporters... that contract is utter trash though. It'll be one of the biggest mistakes this front office has made in the last few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad