News Article: The Sam Girard Question

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
If the mods wish to merge this with another thread I'm more than fine with that, just have no idea where to even post this so I just created a new thread.

The above link is free to read.

tl;dr, AJ does a pretty by-the-numbers breakdown of Sam's game, and concludes that while he's nowhere near as bad as his detractors suggest, he's not great either. His contract is good value, but he is not exceeding that value at present.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
If the mods wish to merge this with another thread I'm more than fine with that, just have no idea where to even post this so I just created a new thread.

The above link is free to read.

tl;dr, AJ does a pretty by-the-numbers breakdown of Sam's game, and concludes that while he's nowhere near as bad as his detractors suggest, he's not great either. His contract is good value, but he is not exceeding that value at present.
Damn there's a lot of work in that article

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Damn there's a lot of work in that article

Good article, my conclusion is it's Kadri & JT's fault.

Middle of the roster sucks more. More mistakes, less scoring, plenty of injuries, etc.

Cmac made the dudes job harder exponentially.

JudoKoala

The Ghost of Joe Sacco
Aug 10, 2020
Toronto
For many, it’s a confirmation of what they suspected to be true based on what their eyes were telling them: Girard is a terrible defender whose weak netfront defense is often exposed and he is the weak link on Colorado’s defense, especially at a $5M price tag that might be too hefty.

...was he giving up more scoring chances and, specifically as it relates to defense in front of the net, more high-danger chances than anyone else on the Avs?

Ah geez, it's like AJ just went through my entire anti-Girard shitposting history on his and Baugh's Twitter feeds.

Thanks very much for sharing this, very absorbing and informative read.

Last edited:

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I mean, it's not news that he hasn't played well the last couple years, but I am heartened by the fact that he's been quite good since about mid January. This also coincides with him using a longer stick.

I've been very critical of him in the past, but I've liked his game for quite a while now. So I'm hopeful for the playoffs.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Well that article tracks. He’s clearly been worse since the Covid season, which I don’t think anyone has argued. But it’s nice to see some numbers that show he isn’t a complete waste of space that so many people would have you believe

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Kinda funny that Manson was brought on board to be Sammy's defensive partner more or less, and they've gotten to play together hardly at all.
They were playing together in the playoffs IIRC

When Sakic traded for Manson he mentioned in the post trade interview that they were looking for a partner for Girard.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They were playing together in the playoffs IIRC

When Sakic traded for Manson he mentioned in the post trade interview that they were looking for a partner for Girard.
I know, they had the epic embrace after Manson's OT winner, and then Sammy got drilled into the boards by Barbashev with a hit I still to this day think was dirty AF. So that was, like, one game maybe?

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
For what it's worth, I dug up some numbers in another thread, at one point in the season Girard had an xGF% in the lowish 30s at 5v5. He's worked hard and almost gotten back above 50 (49.96%). Over the last 15 games he's 55.79% at 5v5. He's rounding into form at the right time.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Cypher

May 25, 2011
Edmonton
avalanche.nhl.com
The problem with trading G is Toews is due a hefty raise summer 2024, if he even re-signs as a UFA, and Bo is always a question mark for his health. We have no one else to play on the left side.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
The problem with trading G is Toews is due a hefty raise summer 2024, if he even re-signs as a UFA, and Bo is always a question mark for his health. We have no one else to play on the left side.
We just have to gamble with Bo, no better option.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
It’s an interesting puzzle. If they try to sign both Byram and Toews, is one going to drive up the price of the other?

If you only sign Byram this summer and kick the can down the road on making a decision, you can see whos’s trending well when that time comes. Maybe the cap even goes up more than what it’s been.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
It’s an interesting puzzle. If they try to sign both Byram and Toews, is one going to drive up the price of the other?

If you only sign Byram this summer and kick the can down the road on making a decision, you can see whos’s trending well when that time comes. Maybe the cap even goes up more than what it’s been.

I'd gamble with Bo and throw him a long deal this summer. Its a gamble but it's the best gamble we have. The kid has great potential.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
I'd gamble with Bo and throw him a long deal this summer. Its a gamble but it's the best gamble we have. The kid has great potential.
I would too. He has an enormous ceiling. He’s a very competent player now in spite of all the setbacks. Not many guys could look this good in spite of “delays in development”.

I think it’s dangerous to lowball him too.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad