Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Seal, I think we were alone in that crusade. The good news is in a couple of months we'll get to see how good of an idea it was. I wanted Perron like a fat kid wants a smartie... worked out great for the first couple months. Hopefully Hunwick does a little better.

I don't really have any faith in Pouliot taking that next step... but who knows. Maybe he too will surprise us. Would be nice.

Win-Draw for everyone else, Lose-Draw for us.

If he does well, everyone can be happy. We can gloat but it's a "well we told you so". That's assuming the goal posts aren't continuous moved with him. If he can be similar to Cole, it's a win for me. I'm not expecting Letang, Dumo, Maatta, or Schultz with him though in order to concede, that's what those who do not like the signing will be asking for. If he doesn't do well or reach that level, everyone gets to gloat and say what a bad signing it was. All in all, I'm still happy with the signing. Slightly expensive, but like I said, I think he will prove valuable to us. At the very least, it hopefully means we never have to see someone like Hainsey here ever again.

Pouliot is such a mystery to me...I have no idea how that will go.

He was shipped out last year because he asked to be traded - the year before, prior to the 16 cup win. He was upset that he wasn't getting a chance to be the #3C he signed here to be.

Yeah...can't say I blame him. Course if he would have shut his mouth he'd have another cup ring.

No idea how he would feel if he came back.

Sheary Sid Horns
Rust Geno Sprong
Hags Jake Phil
Wilson Rowney Reaves/Kuhn

I think Jake at 3C is stupid and the people the argue for it are as dumb as the day is long. That said, that's the first line up that makes me say "hmmm...".

Still 110% against it.

I mean... Eric Fehr has versatility and can PK. He also wanted a bigger role in Pittsburgh. Is he a legit 3C option for us?

I think if you got him back, he'd be 3C with Rowney or McC as the 4C. You then bring in a real 3C and make him the 4C.

Legit 3C...meh. Stopgap 3C, yes. Legit 4C for us, sure.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's really all he knows...

I learned to ignore it when the first 14 posts of the thread, he was trying to fish for the argument 3 separate times. :laugh: Just constant fishing to the argument. I don't even think it's real at this point for how much the bait is being dangled out there.

But I just knew our board wouldn't let it go. Always have to respond.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Hey Cole, i was wondering if i could make a poll for who everyone expects the 3C will be in April. Should I make it, or does the discussion just belong here?

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I think Jake at 3C is stupid and the people the argue for it are as dumb as the day is long. That said, that's the first line up that makes me say "hmmm...".

Still 110% against it.

No one is saying that its ideal, only that with the assumption (not likely, but possible) that no one else is brought in for 3C, Jake as 3C with Hags and Kessel is one of if not our best option.

If Jake pans out as an effective scoring center, isn't he exactly what Duchene would be here minus pk mins/great faceoffs? We would be filling a need long term, and he can always jump up to wing if we are down late and shorten the bench... Again, not ideal, and I fully expect a 3C to be brought in via trade, but in the scenario that they don't, I'd go with Jake at center and Sprong at wing as our best team we could put out there.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
No one is saying that its ideal, only that with the assumption (not likely, but possible) that no one else is brought in for 3C, Jake as 3C with Hags and Kessel is one of if not our best option.

If Jake pans out as an effective scoring center, isn't he exactly what Duchene would be here minus pk mins/great faceoffs? We would be filling a need long term, and he can always jump up to wing if we are down late and shorten the bench... Again, not ideal, and I fully expect a 3C to be brought in via trade, but in the scenario that they don't, I'd go with Jake at center and Sprong at wing as our best team we could put out there.

Pascal Dupuis has played as many games at center as Jake has. Do you consider Dupuis an effective scoring center? Would you have given him the go head?

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Pascal Dupuis has played as many games at center as Jake has. Do you consider Dupuis an effective scoring center? Would you have given him the go head?

Jake was a center in college I believe? Last year was when he converted to wing? That's one year removed from playing center and Sully literally played him there when Geno went down for a game. With a training camp there you don't think we could develop him as a scoring center with minimal d zone starts?

Again, not ideal, someone else should be brought in (and most likely will). But if they are not, I'd like to see Jake at center. What's the down side to see how he does for a month or two?

Edit: also, Dupuis was a ten year vet at wing. Jake is one year removed from being a C

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Jake was a center in college I believe? Last year was when he converted to wing? That's one year removed from playing center and Sully literally played him there when Geno went down for a game. With a training camp there you don't think we could develop him as a scoring center with minimal d zone starts?

Again, not ideal, someone else should be brought in (and most likely will). But if they are not, I'd like to see Jake at center. What's the down side to see how he does for a month or two?

Edit: also, Dupuis was a ten year vet at wing. Jake is one year removed from being a C

I don't really have a problem with putting Guentzel as a center, but I do think you're basically cutting our best chemistry and production from our first line and likely putting Jake in a situation where he could very easily lose his confidence.

Plus, Sully came out and said he wasn't doing it.

TheMalkinEra

May 1, 2017

Dupuis played several games at C in 11-12, when both Staal and Sid were out of the lineup, and a took some shifts in 2012-2013 when both Geno and Sid were out at end of the regular season. I thought he didnt look out of place at all from what i recall, and even played alittle point on the power play in 11-12 and recall one game when the Pens were down a couple of defensemen and one of the annoncers said that Dupuis was the emergency defenseman.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't think so, they're not going to trade Maatta when Cole is a free agent after next year. If Pouliot steps up and actually proves to be a NHLer, they'll keep all 7 D throughout the season and then let Cole walk as a free agent after this year.

Also, on that 4th line, where is Kuhnhackl? Why don't you start Sprong in the NHL in the top-9 if Guentzel is playing center to start the year, which keeps Wilson on the 4th line? There are a lot better ways to make that 4th line than Rowney-McClement-Reaves.

The best 4th line I think the Penguins can make right now is Wilson-Rowney-Kuhnhackl, which I actually think would be a decent to solid 4th line. Replacing Kuhnhackl with Reaves and I still think that line is decent.

I mean, that is the situation you assume, but if Pooh comes in and has a Dumo like season and secures a top four role, I have no issue running Dumo - Letang, Pooh - Hunwick, Cole - Schultz.

It would make the Hunwick signing make more sense if that is what they are projecting.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Hey Cole, i was wondering if i could make a poll for who everyone expects the 3C will be in April. Should I make it, or does the discussion just belong here?

I think we had that discussion a couple threads ago. It will be interesting and interesting in the fact that I have no clue what JR will give up. I think we can keep it here for now. 3C is going to take over every single thread in less than 1 month.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
I don't really have a problem with putting Guentzel as a center, but I do think you're basically cutting our best chemistry and production from our first line and likely putting Jake in a situation where he could very easily lose his confidence.

Plus, Sully came out and said he wasn't doing it.

I believe there was a tweet that said Jake and Rowney are options for 3C. Then a tweet about Sully saying its unlikely to be Jake... Which is what has been presented.

In the unlikely scenario we don't bring anyone else in (unlikely, we almost definitely will) for 3C, right now, I think Jake at 3C, Rowney at 4C, and Sprong at wing is the better route than Rowney at 3C, Jake at wing, and McC/Teddy/Dea at 4C.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I believe there was a tweet that said Jake and Rowney are options for 3C. Then a tweet about Sully saying its unlikely to be Jake... Which is what has been presented.

In the unlikely scenario we don't bring anyone else in (unlikely, we almost definitely will) for 3C, right now, I think Jake at 3C, Rowney at 4C, and Sprong at wing is the better route than Rowney at 3C, Jake at wing, and McC/Teddy/Dea at 4C.

I guess. I'd just load up lines one and two with Guentzel - Crosby - Sheary and Rust - Malkin - Kessel and just run up the score and let Murray do the rest. We can at least go .500 like that.

Plus I think Hags - Rowney - Hornqvist can do well enough in the regular season with Hags and Horny pushing the play. It is just that Wilson - McClement - Reaves line. Ugh.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I mean... Eric Fehr has versatility and can PK. He also wanted a bigger role in Pittsburgh. Is he a legit 3C option for us?

It kind of depends on Rutherford's plan, if he has one. If he doesn't think he can land a respectable 3C at this time, Fehr might be okay for a couple of months there. I wouldn't want him as our full-time 3C.

I think it depends on who he's looking at for a #3C. Most of the names we've tossed out make ~1.5m. We have 3.3m in cap space. If we bring back Fehr, that leaves us with 1.3m in cap space and a full roster. So we'd have to move someone or send someone down to acquire another C. Which means money wise, while it would be tight, it would probably be doable. But we'd have zero room to maneuver.

We all know Toronto cares less about their budget then most teams... but I wonder if they're going to put Fehr on waivers if they'd trade him back to us with a little retention? Say him at 1.5m? That would save them 500k off the cap (vs having him count for ~1m while in the minors), and give us a little more room.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I highly doubt Fehr wants to come back after asking for a trade because he didn't get the role he thought he was getting here.

Of course, I suppose a role at all is better than healthy scratch in Toronto.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Edit - Shady beat me to it.

Yeah...can't say I blame him. Course if he would have shut his mouth he'd have another cup ring.

No idea how he would feel if he came back.

If he was playing a #3C role, honestly I don't think he'd have an issue. Especially if he was on the verge of getting sent back to the minors or being a healthy scratch. He can ***** about things all he wants about his time here. But A) he won a Stanley Cup, and was a regular in that run. And B) he was a regular for us. When he was traded to Toronto, he played 1 game for them, and then was a HS for the rest of the season. Pretty sure that sucked more for him then playing reduced minutes for us.

So looking at it that way, I'm not even sure if he'd complain about being our #4C if we acquired a better #3C at some point.

Still 110% against it.

It helps when Sprong is in the lineup, meaning that we should have some sort of skill on all 3 lines - or at least enough of it to attempt something like that. The Q then becomes, is Sprong good enough to actually help us immediately in that regard?

Last edited:

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

If he was playing a #3C role, honestly I don't think he'd have an issue. Especially if he was on the verge of getting sent back to the minors or being a healthy scratch. He can ***** about things all he wants about his time here. But A) he won a Stanley Cup, and was a regular in that run. And B) he was a regular for us. When he was traded to Toronto, he played 1 game for them, and then was a HS for the rest of the season. Pretty sure that sucked more for him then playing reduced minutes for us.

So looking at it that way, I'm not even sure if he'd complain about being our #4C if we acquired a better #3C at some point.

It helps when Sprong is in the lineup, meaning that we should have some sort of skill on all 3 lines - or at least enough of it to attempt something like that. The Q then becomes, is Sprong good enough to actually help us immediately in that regard?

Tbf, fehr was a HS for awhile and then broke his hand in the first game he played. I doubt he'll be a regular in Toronto, though.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010

And that's a big unknown, you shift Jake to center away from Sid. Does the new wing with Sid + Jake at 3C outperform Jake+Sid + other 3C?

It's like the Staal @3C vs Staalkin debate all over again.

Tbf, fehr was a HS for awhile and then broke his hand in the first game he played. I doubt he'll be a regular in Toronto, though.

Indeed. It was like a parting gift from the Penguins.

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
If you're "depressed" by the state of the Penguins--3 months after they won a 2nd Stanley Cup in 2 years--that's something you need to get a clinical professional to look at. There's nothing "Jim" could possibly do that would be good enough to correct any problem that would lead to this being possible.

After two Cups in two years, my personal benchmark for this coming season to be a success is for the Pens to make the playoffs. Nothing more than that. Anything beyond that will be gravy :laugh:

Seriously, the Pens have played a lot of hockey the past two years - and at times, they looked like it had all caught up to them in the playoffs this last season as it was. I can't fathom having enough in the gas tank to go for a third run in as many years!

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I agree. Bad things are bad, like Coldplay and gefilte fish milkshakes.

What?!

As for moving Jake away from Sid - Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist is a horrible, horrible line for other teams to play against. Arguably better last RS than anything with Jake the Snake on there.

I would have zero qualms about moving Jake away if needed (would rather not, but if needed) if that's the replacement line.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Slightly OT, but Toronto just signed a massive new arena naming rights deal. Previously the deal by Air Canada was paying MLSE 4 million (CND) a year. Starting next July 1st (2018), Scotiabank will be paying Toronto somewhere around 40 million a year as part of the 800 million 20 yr deal. This is the highest arena naming deal in NA sports. :amazed: :eek:

It won't all count towards HRR, but I imagine that part of it certainly will.

Last edited:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
As for moving Jake away from Sid - Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist is a horrible, horrible line for other teams to play against. Arguably better last RS than anything with Jake the Snake on there.

I would have zero qualms about moving Jake away if needed (would rather not, but if needed) if that's the replacement line.

Not sure I agree with that... however I think that Sheary - Crosby - Hornqvist is effective enough that we could put Guentzel with Malkin and move Kessel to the 3rd line (or Guentzel on the 3rd line) which would effectively give us 3 legitimate scoring lines. I do not see that happening if both Sheary and Guentzel play on the same line with Crosby. I also think that Sheary is better on LW then RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad