Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
Small skilled winger who had been very productive in the KHL. He got suspended for steroid use or something, but he's allowed to play in the NHL somehow. Not exactly sure how it works.

I am seeing that he was suspended for the stimulant ingredient in allergy meds and some masking agents, apparently none of which are banned in the NHL, so he was approved to play this year here. I guess that's why no one was talking about him until now, he was only cleared to come to the NHL as of 8/28.

Interesting, would help our LW depth.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

This makes no sense to me at all unless JR is planning on trading a winger.

Even if JR is trading a winger this isn't the guy i would want.

Why not/

Seems like a skilled one year stop gap, that you can get affordably. Thats also familiar with one of your star centers.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Small skilled winger who had been very productive in the KHL. He got suspended for steroid use or something, but he's allowed to play in the NHL somehow. Not exactly sure how it works.

I dont think it was steroids, it was some substance banned in the KHL but not NHL.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I dont think it was steroids, it was some substance banned in the KHL but not NHL.

Yeah that was my mistake, I just knew it was an illegal substance in the IIHF but not the NHL. All I'm concerned with is cost, he doesn't have to sign an ELC since he's 36, so he can ask for as much money as he wants.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Yeah that was my mistake, I just knew it was an illegal substance in the IIHF but not the NHL. All I'm concerned with is cost, he doesn't have to sign an ELC since he's 36, so he can ask for as much money as he wants.

Well, yeah. If he's expensive then you pass. But i dont think a 36 YO with no NHL experience is in line for much for than a million plus maybe some incentives.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Upgrade over our 4RW.

God help us if we're bringing in a 36 year-old skilled Russian to play next to Ryan Reaves & Carter Rowney :laugh:

This would all depend on the price...there is absolutely no need for Zaripov, but depending on the price it could be a very nice gamble.

Not really a surprise to see the Pens making a push, Zaripov spent the previous 4 seasons with Geno's hometown team and is originally from Gonchar's hometown.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
God help us if we're bringing in a 36 year-old skilled Russian to play next to Ryan Reaves & Carter Rowney :laugh:

This would all depend on the price...there is absolutely no need for Zaripov, but depending on the price it could be a very nice gamble.

Not really a surprise to see the Pens making a push, Zaripov spent the previous 4 seasons with Geno's hometown team and is originally from Gonchar's hometown.

I think the most interesting thing is the trickle down.

Does that mean there looking to move on? upgrade some fringy players like Wilson and Kuhnackl or do they think he's good enough to move an more impactful guy for a 3C like Sheary or to a lesser extent Haglin.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well, yeah. If he's expensive then you pass. But i dont think a 36 YO with no NHL experience is in line for much for than a million plus maybe some incentives.

The nice thing is that he'd almost definitely cost less than Sheary, who the Penguins could possibly move to get a 3C if Zaripov is a NHL caliber top-6er. You could start the year with:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Zaripov
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

If Zaripov shows he's a NHL caliber top-6er, you can trade Sheary for a center and then move Guentzel back to Crosby's wing.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
6-foot is small?

The nice thing is that he'd almost definitely cost less than Sheary, who the Penguins could possibly move to get a 3C if Zaripov is a NHL caliber top-6er. You could start the year with:

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Zaripov
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

If Zaripov shows he's a NHL caliber top-6er, you can trade Sheary for a center and then move Guentzel back to Crosby's wing.

I'd much rather Hagelin be traded.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
His age and lack of NHL experience doesn't make him all that enticing.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Acquiring a skilled winger certainly allows you to move on from another wing. Makes sense if someone is being flipped for a center. Also the khl has twenty less games than the NHL so maybe he has a little more mileage than his age suggests.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Hey more skilled wingers is better than less and maybe this opens up trade opportunities to bring in a better 3C. I'm cool with pursuing him and seeing what he's got.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Zaripov
Hagelin-Guentzel-Kessel
Wilson-Rowney-Reaves

So it looks like he would be slotted in top 9, if he can hang. His last known salary in the KHL was 1.5m USD, so maybe something around 1M + incentives so you could bury most of the cap hit if he washes out.

I would think a team desperate for offense might pay more, maybe the Geno and Gonch comfort level helps.

If he came and could handle it, it makes Wilson truly expendable, though I agree we'd want to keep Hags.

Last edited:

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
He's 163 lbs according to hockeydb. He's also listed at 192 on eliteprospects, so I have no clue :laugh:

I think you'd have too few defensively strong wingers if you moved Hagelin right now to be honest.

His KHL page has him at 87 kg, which is 192 pounds.

And, in my scenario, Hagelin would be traded for a defensively responsible center.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So it looks like he would be slotted in top 9, if he can hang. His last known salary in the KHL was 1.5m USD, so maybe something around 1M + incentives so you could bury most of the cap hit if he washes out.

I would think a team desperate for offense might pay more, maybe the Geno and Gonch comfort level helps.

If he came and could handle it, it makes Wilson truly expendable, though I agree we'd want to keep Hags.

You might want to keep Hags, but we need to move some meaningful salary out if you are replacing Wilson with a player that costs 400-500K more and still want to acquire a 3C.

I like Hagelin, but at some point, you need to decide if 4MM is the best allocation of resources for him.

Let's say this dude is signed and he's legit. The only names you can really move are Sheary or Hagelin. Sheary has more trade value, so I suppose I could get behind moving him depending on return.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012

:laugh:

6-foot is small?

Could be. Is he 6 foot like Bonino is or is he 6 foot like Theo "I'm actually 5'5" Fleury "was" at one point?

I don't think Wilson being "expendable" really does anything for us. He's established himself as an NHL player at this point, but not as the sort of guy who makes sense as a key piece in the return for a 3C.

Last edited:

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
:laugh:

Could be. Is he 6 foot like Bonino is or is he 6 foot like Theo "I'm actually 5'5" Fleury "was" at one point?

I don't think Wilson being "expendable" really does anything for us. He's established himself as an NHL player at this point, but not as the sort of guy who makes sense as a key piece in the return for a 3C.

Probably not. Sheary is our best trade chip by a long shot in a 1 for 1, or close to 1 for 1 deal for a good 3C.

And as Shady points out, at Wilson's cap hit, he's a good depth player for us and helps make our cap work.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Probably not. Sheary is our best trade chip by a long shot in a 1 for 1, or close to 1 for 1 deal for a good 3C.

And as Shady points out, at Wilson's cap hit, he's a good depth player for us and helps make our cap work.

Agreed.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
His KHL page has him at 87 kg, which is 192 pounds.

And, in my scenario, Hagelin would be traded for a defensively responsible center.

Yeah that looks more right, he's not small but he's not exactly big either. I think I'd rather see Sheary traded for a defensively responsible center if Zaripov proves he's a NHL caliber player. The Penguins have an abundance of skilled wingers if Zaripov comes here works out and I'm not sure Sheary's value will ever be higher. Trading a defensively responsible winger while adding a skilled winger imbalances the team IMO, but who knows, maybe Zaripov and Kessel would mesh well.

If you trade Sheary and sign Zaripov, you still have Hagelin, Rust and Hornqvist as the top-9 grinder type forwards and you have a logical replacement for Zaripov in Sprong. If you trade Hagelin, you still have a logical replacement for Zaripov, but your either have to put Wilson on the top-9 with a skilled winger on the 4th line to have an equal split or you won't have an equal split of skilled and grinder wingers. I think there are more workable forward lines with the 1st option than the 2nd option.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Is Zaripov poor defensively? Or are people making that assumption because he's a Russian who puts up points?

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I guess if you want to run under the assumption the better team wins every series that is cool.

it doesnt matter who deserved to win. it matters who did. I'm so confused. The pens have literally won two stanley cups in a row.

its 2017, you can get away with lying about a couple inches here and there but if someone listed as 6 foot, they arent gonna be below like 5-10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad