Salary Cap: The Salary Cap Thread | Trust me... nothing has changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Out of curiosity, what type of center are people thinking about that may be available for Sheary?

Is Haula quality enough to move for Sheary? I'd say he's the floor of what I'd want, but I'd probably do that trade.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Personally, I don't think Hagelin or Sheary nets us the type of center JR is apparently waiting for. I think he is going big-game hunting here.

I still think it's Hornqvist. Last year of his contract. Does not kill penalties. Bad fit for Malkin. He would be the guy I'd move for my No. 3 center. There could be no shortage of centers to choose from. Athanasiou for Hornqvist still makes a lot of sense to me, whether it's 1-for-1 or with other parts to it.

As for Zaripov, I suppose it would not be a bad idea to bring him on board, especially if Geno is excited to play with him, but why not Jagr instead? He is the perfect RW to play with Rust and Malkin on the second line, and he replaces the net presence of Hornqvist on the power play (last season, Jagr spent a lot more time in front of the net than he ever had before, with Barkov kinda taking over the half wall on their PP).

I don't know. To me it's simple. Trade Horny for Athanasiou, sign Jagr, drop the puck.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Jagr
?-Athanasiou-Kessel
??-???-Reaves

? - Hagelin, Wilson, Aston-Reese
?? - Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Aston-Reese, others
??? - Rowney, McClement, others

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is Zaripov poor defensively? Or are people making that assumption because he's a Russian who puts up points?

No one is assuming he's bad defensively, but no one is assuming that he's going to be able to be good defensively in the NHL or be able to kill penalties. It's the safer pick to say that an offensively gifted winger isn't going to be that good defensively.

Out of curiosity, what type of center are people thinking about that may be available for Sheary?

Is Haula quality enough to move for Sheary? I'd say he's the floor of what I'd want, but I'd probably do that trade.

It depends on what teams need a top-6 winger and have a 3C to spare. I think Sheary for Henrique is close to fair in value, but that doesn't really help New Jersey all that much to make that trade. They need defensive help much more than wing help, even though they're deep at center.

Speaking of a guy that we have talked about here in the past, maybe you can pull off Sam Bennett if Calgary's negotiations with him aren't going well for Sheary? I feel like that's aiming too high though.

Also, signing Jagr makes literally negative sense. Immediate pass on him.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
it doesnt matter who deserved to win. it matters who did. I'm so confused. The pens have literally won two stanley cups in a row.

We were talking about this coming season and pixies and I were disputing a claim that Nashville was an 8th seed fluke and that they are more likely to miss the playoffs next year than make it to the finals again.

We believe Nashville is legit and has as good a shot as any to make it out of the West (although the Central is so much better than the Pacific so I guess odds are better for Edmonton, Anaheim, or Calgary because the rest of the division blows).

Pixies was trying to show that Nashville is legit by saying they outplayed Pittsburgh during stretches of the series. Of course the Pens won, but that doesn't mean the same result would occur if you played the series over again.

Does that help?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
A free player is a free player and it may allow the Penguins to move another winger for a center without hurting the wing depth. I have no issues if the Penguins get him. Trying to think logically, I think signing him could open up a Sheary trade. You could go with:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Zapirov
Hagelin-3C-Kessel

It allows Sprong to just step in for Zaripov and the rest of the lineup would stay the same.

I just wonder whether he'd play LW or RW. RW with Malkin may make more sense, but the Penguins are really deep at RW already.

That's really the only thing that makes much sense. That or moving Guentzel to C full time. Unless the plan is to move Hagelin/Rust and just try to go with pure skill. :dunno:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
It depends on what teams need a top-6 winger and have a 3C to spare. I think Sheary for Henrique is close to fair in value, but that doesn't really help New Jersey all that much to make that trade. They need defensive help much more than wing help, even though they're deep at center.

Speaking of a guy that we have talked about here in the past, maybe you can pull off Sam Bennett if Calgary's negotiations with him aren't going well for Sheary? I feel like that's aiming too high though.

I think the Henrique ship sailed (if it was ever there) when Zajac got injured.

Sheary+ for Sam Bennett could be cool. I like that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I don't know if they'd move Bennett for a guy that only has 3 years of control left (plus they have another small winger in Gaudreau), but it does make some sense. The Flames are deep at both center and LW, which are the two positions Bennett plays, but they're weak on RW. Getting Sheary allows them to run with a top-9 of:

Gaudrea-Monahan-Frolik
Tkachuk-Backlund-Sheary
Versteeg-Jankowski-Brouwer

I'm still not sure if they would do that without adding something significant, nor am I sure that Bennett is the type of guy the Penguins should be targeting to be their 3C. I think that deal would only work if Bennett is asking for too much money from Calgary and won't lower his demands, or if he bolts overseas.

The issue is I can't find any teams with any spare 23-26 year old good 3Cs that also needs wingers more than anything else. You have teams with spare good prime aged 3Cs like Dallas (they have either Faksa or Shore), but they don't need wingers. You have teams who need wingers, but they don't have spare 3Cs.

Actually, I just found a name that might work, JP Pageau. The Senators can move Zach Smith to center to be their 3C and Sheary would slide into their 2nd line LW spot with Brassard and Ryan.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't know if they'd move Bennett for a guy that only has 3 years of control left (plus they have another small winger in Gaudreau), but it does make some sense. The Flames are deep at both center and LW, which are the two positions Bennett plays, but they're weak on RW. Getting Sheary allows them to run with a top-9 of:

Gaudrea-Monahan-Frolik
Tkachuk-Backlund-Sheary

I'm still not sure if they would do that without adding something significant, nor am I sure that Bennett is the type of guy the Penguins should be targeting to be their 3C. I think that deal would only work if Bennett is asking for too much money from Calgary and won't lower his demands, or if he bolts overseas.

The issue is I can't find any teams with any spare 23-26 year old good 3Cs that also needs wingers more than anything else. You have teams with spare good prime aged 3Cs like Dallas (they have either Faksa or Shore), but they don't need wingers. You have teams who need wingers, but they don't have spare 3Cs.

Actually, I just found a name that might work, JP Pageau. The Senators can move Zach Smith to center to be their 3C and Sheary would slide into their 2nd line LW spot with Brassard and Ryan.

I'm not sure they'd move Bennett either with Sheary as the main piece. I just know I like it.

Pageau works too. I'm cool with that. Almost same dollars too. Nicely done.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Personally, I don't think Hagelin or Sheary nets us the type of center JR is apparently waiting for. I think he is going big-game hunting here.

I still think it's Hornqvist. Last year of his contract. Does not kill penalties. Bad fit for Malkin. He would be the guy I'd move for my No. 3 center. There could be no shortage of centers to choose from. Athanasiou for Hornqvist still makes a lot of sense to me, whether it's 1-for-1 or with other parts to it.

As for Zaripov, I suppose it would not be a bad idea to bring him on board, especially if Geno is excited to play with him, but why not Jagr instead? He is the perfect RW to play with Rust and Malkin on the second line, and he replaces the net presence of Hornqvist on the power play (last season, Jagr spent a lot more time in front of the net than he ever had before, with Barkov kinda taking over the half wall on their PP).

I don't know. To me it's simple. Trade Horny for Athanasiou, sign Jagr, drop the puck.

Guentzel-Crosby-Sheary
Rust-Malkin-Jagr
?-Athanasiou-Kessel
??-???-Reaves

? - Hagelin, Wilson, Aston-Reese
?? - Wilson, Kuhnhackl, Aston-Reese, others
??? - Rowney, McClement, others

Given Detroit's cap hell, if they can't afford to sign AA, how would they fit Hornqvist?

As much as I would love, love, love to have Jagsy back, I don't think he fits here anymore :(

Zaripov seems like a mystery bag to me. Free player is a free player but what's the price tag on him? Is he looking at $2mil? Or is he willing to take a 1yr 750k deal? If JR is serious about bringing him in for any sort of money, to me, that signals he has a deal in place to send some money out for a 3C coming back. Otherwise...bringing in another wing? I mean, why?

Could be something as simple as Wilson+pick out for Karlsson/Lindberg. Or Wilson for Sheahan. Something simple like that. I'm intrigued by Zaripov but weary...are we getting Panarin or Plotnikov? We have no need for any Plotnikovs. Not with Sprong and ZAR and guys like Kuhnhackl and Archibald in the press box already.

While I would love to have either, I don't think either team sends us their guy. They like them for the same reason we would like them.

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011

When I thought Sheary would get 4M on a short deal like 1 year, I was more than fine with Sheary for Haula. Now, I'm more in line with your sentiments. I'd do it, but it would hurt.

Of course, Vegas will want nothing to do with Sheary or any other hockey trade. They are probably demanding our 1st for one of their non-Haula centers, and that's probably JR's fall back plan.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don't know if they'd move Bennett for a guy that only has 3 years of control left (plus they have another small winger in Gaudreau), but it does make some sense. The Flames are deep at both center and LW, which are the two positions Bennett plays, but they're weak on RW.

I think Ottawa moving Smith is much more likely then them moving Pageau. That said if I'm moving Sheary, I'd want Pageau.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Ottawa moving Smith is much more likely then them moving Pageau. That said if I'm moving Sheary, I'd want Pageau.

The issue with them moving Smith is that I don't think the Senators moving Smith would really help their team all that much. They could get legit top-6 help for Pageau, even if it's not exactly what they need the most (they need top end centers more than wingers). Their 3rd line wouldn't take much of a hit either, it would go from Smith-Pageau-Burrows with Dzingel on the 2nd line to Dzingel-Smith-Burrows with Sheary on the 2nd line.

A smaller deal that may make more sense is Hagelin for Smith. Same logic as the Sheary for Pageau deal, but make it the older and probably more expendable guys being swapped.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
No one is assuming he's bad defensively, but no one is assuming that he's going to be able to be good defensively in the NHL or be able to kill penalties. It's the safer pick to say that an offensively gifted winger isn't going to be that good defensively.

Agreed it's a safer bet, but I don't think that's good enough to use it as 'a' reason to trade Sheary over Hags.

Gaudrea-Monahan-Frolik
Tkachuk-Backlund-Sheary

I could definitely get on board with a Sheary for Pageau, though. Contracts almost identical and he's exactly what I'd be looking for at 3C.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Given Detroit's cap hell, if they can't afford to sign AA, how would they fit Hornqvist?

As much as I would love, love, love to have Jagsy back, I don't think he fits here anymore :(

Zaripov seems like a mystery bag to me. Free player is a free player but what's the price tag on him? Is he looking at $2mil? Or is he willing to take a 1yr 750k deal? If JR is serious about bringing him in for any sort of money, to me, that signals he has a deal in place to send some money out for a 3C coming back. Otherwise...bringing in another wing? I mean, why?

Could be something as simple as Wilson+pick out for Karlsson/Lindberg. Or Wilson for Sheahan. Something simple like that. I'm intrigued by Zaripov but weary...are we getting Panarin or Plotnikov? We have no need for any Plotnikovs. Not with Sprong and ZAR and guys like Kuhnhackl and Archibald in the press box already.

I'm not leery in the least - as long as the money is around 1m. I think 975k is what can get sent to the minors this year without counting against the cap. And given the fact that he can't play in the KHL, his options are Europe (maybe? or maybe his ban carries over there too?) or the NHL. Either way if he's coming here, odds are he'll be cheap.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The issue with them moving Smith is that I don't think the Senators moving Smith would really help their team all that much. They could get legit top-6 help for Pageau, even if it's not exactly what they need the most (they need top end centers more than wingers). Their 3rd line wouldn't take much of a hit either, it would go from Smith-Pageau-Burrows with Dzingel on the 2nd line to Dzingel-Smith-Burrows with Sheary on the 2nd line.

Then how does moving Pageau help them, if the deal is around Sheary/Smith? Obviously if you're talking smaller pieces, it's easier, but if you're talking those two, there's very little difference on their end between Smith/Pageau in the middle.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could definitely get on board with a Sheary for Pageau, though. Contracts almost identical and he's exactly what I'd be looking for at 3C.

I don't know if Ottawa would do it though, mainly due to the questions about what Turris will be doing after this year since he's a UFA. I think a safer bet for both sides would be Hagelin for Smith, it's a smaller deal based on the same concept.

Then how does moving Pageau help them, if the deal is around Sheary/Smith? Obviously if you're talking smaller pieces, it's easier, but if you're talking those two, there's very little difference on their end between Smith/Pageau in the middle.

No, I mean Pageau can help bring back a legit top-6 forward for the Senators, while trading Smith would likely only bring back a Hagelin caliber winger (which they already have in a guy like Dzingel). They'd improve more from trading Pageau because they'd get a better player back.

Smith wouldn't bring back Sheary, that's just not a deal the Penguins would do IMO. He's not as old as I thought he was, he's only 29 and he's signed for 4 years, but I can't see the Penguins making that kind of trade. If the Senators add something on top of Smith, that becomes a little bit more interesting though.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I could get on board for Hagelin for Smith, too.

I don't think that would be enough, though after thinking about it some more.

I've started thinking about it some more, and if the Senators would throw in a center prospect on top of Smith, I think I'd do Sheary for Smith and a center prospect. They're actually only separated by 4 years, so it's not that huge of an age difference, and Smith is signed for an extra year over Sheary. Like if the Penguins could pull off Smith and Chlapik (Sprong's center in the Q, 2nd round pick in 2015) for Sheary, that might sway me.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I think our best bet right now is to move pieces out for a fringe 3C like Karlsson or Girgs and hope we can acquire a UFA center at the deadline.

Crosby - Malkin - Karlsson - McClement will get us at least until March if we pray Malkin or Crosby won't get down and I'd rather let our roster play and see who is actually performing in our bottom six with mediocre centers. We can eventually get a center in March ( likely trading our 1st+) and push Karlsson down to the fourth line.

I don't see us acquiring a 23-26 year old center without moving some major pieces or having to acquire a risky contract like Eakin which I hope we can avoid.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think our best bet right now is to move pieces out for a fringe 3C like Karlsson or Girgs and hope we can acquire a UFA center at the deadline.

Crosby - Malkin - Karlsson - McClement will get us at least until March if we pray Malkin or Crosby won't get down and I'd rather let our roster play and see who is actually performing in our bottom six with mediocre centers. We can eventually get a center in March ( likely trading our 1st+) and push Karlsson down to the fourth line.

I don't see us acquiring a 23-26 year old center without moving some major pieces or having to acquire a risky contract like Eakin which I hope we can avoid.

maybe instead of looking for a 3c, we should look at getting a winger for sid, to replace jake.
edit; bad idea.....just trying to look at all the options.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I don't think that would be enough, though after thinking about it some more.

I've started thinking about it some more, and if the Senators would throw in a center prospect on top of Smith, I think I'd do Sheary for Smith and a center prospect. They're actually only separated by 4 years, so it's not that huge of an age difference, and Smith is signed for an extra year over Sheary. Like if the Penguins could pull off Smith and Chlapik (Sprong's center in the Q, 2nd round pick in 2015) for Sheary, that might sway me.
I think we have differing opinions on Sheary vs. Hags. I'd prefer Hags for Smith than Sheary for Smith+, but I'd probably do either.

....or maybe my impatience is getting the best of me.

Fedex26

Sep 22, 2009
Any players potentially hitting waivers that anyone has interest in for 4c? Thoughts on Scott Laughton if he gets waived?

EVGENIMERLIN

Jun 29, 2009
Los Angeles, CA

Sam Bennett is the name I keep coming back to as "pipe dream acquisition" for the Pens this off season. I'd have no issues unloading Seary+ (depending on the plus) For a kid with Bennetts upside. He is also only 21.

Sign me up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese