LeBrun: The Salary Cap - A Referendum on Trade Proposals

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
No. LeBrun is saying that you're stuck with this team until next offseason based on the struggles with the salary cap. It's possible for them to be moved in March, but even that is unlikely.
Did he mention all the long term contracts signed, when before it was More like 5 year deals.
I don’t think I’ve ever made a trade proposal.

The salary cap is only in place to ensure smaller market teams can compete when it comes to bidding for stars players in FA. All it does is ensure an "affordable" salary for owners/gms. In a no salary cap world teams like Toronto/Montreal/New York/Boston would be throwing 20M+ at star players, smaller market teams would not be able to compete. Markets that are already struggling to stay afloat would be crushed, smaller league with far fewer teams.
Yep, and throwing all that money at stars , couldn’t even help buy them a cup, except maybe NYR in ‘93.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I'm not sure why you posted this.

Can you do a comparison to offseason/trade deadline now?

Myself or LeBrun never said that trades don't even happen in the Reg. season. His point was that most teams are stuck with who they have. Even a big trade like Eichel didn't impact VGK until this season (due to many injuries, etc.). I see your point. It's not impossible, but likely the offseason has the majority of transactions.

in the Eichel trade buffalo did not want to take salary dumps back innthe deal so it had to wait because of cap floor reasons. Tuch like Eichel were on IR st time of trade.

thr issue is, as I mentioned up thread, teams don’t have the space so these need to be cap neutral.

the best time for big trades is the period around the draft before free agency starts. Then everyone has the most space to do these deals

in season big trades have always been rare. These are cool to have but they are major shake ups between the teams.

think about the affect Calgary-Florida deal if it occurred now

Reactions: Ianturnedbull

AvroArrow

69 for Papi
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Did he mention all the long term contracts signed, when before it was More like 5 year deals.
I don’t think I’ve ever made a trade proposal.

Yep, and throwing all that money at stars , couldn’t even help buy them a cup, except maybe NYR in ‘93.

Rangers was 94 but Detroit was a juggernaut at that time too, when Motown was flourishing in the 90s/early 2000s they were the best team in the league.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
This might not be a surprise to some people on this board, but LeBrun spoke yesterday on TSN Overdrive about the reality of the cap, and in-season trades.

I'm paraphrasing, but he basically said that because of the salary cap there are fewer and fewer in-season trades. That outside of the trade deadline this is what you have for a team (the likelihood of big changes can't occur until next offseason). That most of the blockbuster trades happen in the offseason (or what little we have of blockbuster trades). Also that GMs can't use LTIR as free cap space because of the injured player could likely return.

In no way am I saying that we can't come to this board, use our imaginations, feel out the value of certain players, and speculate what certain GMs might do. But the likelihood of a trade occuring won't happen until March 3rd, 2023. Beyond that the draft and free agency.

It makes for a not so entertaining regular season, and it's worse if your team is really struggling and nothing can be done.

What do you think of LeBrun's comments?

Do many of you stay away from this board until mid-February?

I haven't been around here long enough to know the difference, but maybe this area of HF is a ghost town until March. Is it?
This reality is going to depress those poor little Leaf fans who want to parlay Nick Robertson into a top-4 dman....

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
This has been the trend for a few years. Ever since the Covid cap freeze it has become even worse

Dr Robot

Nov 3, 2011
This post seems more about the general nature of fandom and trades so I guess i will just toss in something I've noticed over the years. A lot of fanbases, when they think they are good or just playoff bound, will demand their GM spend every dollar of salary cap they have. It doesn't matter if it actually will legitimately make the team better, they just see it as their GM doing "Something". Inevitably, there's any number of trades that dont happen because of the cap like Lebrun said or teams just aren't willing to pay the price to get out of bad contracts. I don't think I've ever read a fanbase say "yeah player X was a decent signing in the offseason but I think we should have held onto our cap to see if we could have gotten something better at the deadline."

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
As a fan, the non-guaranteed contracts in the NFL are the most entertaining. Never going to happen in the NHL though.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Shouldn't be too hard to fact check but feel like he's wrong in suggesting that there would be more trades. It's not like mid season trades are common in non cap leagues outside near deadline.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Its generally pretty true, but that doesn't mean some trades don't still happen during the season well in advance of the trade deadline. And some significant ones at that. You also do on occasion see big deals at the trade deadline.

Case in point the Matt Duchene trade from a few years back.

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The salary cap is only in place to ensure smaller market teams can compete when it comes to bidding for stars players in FA. All it does is ensure an "affordable" salary for owners/gms. In a no salary cap world teams like Toronto/Montreal/New York/Boston would be throwing 20M+ at star players, smaller market teams would not be able to compete. Markets that are already struggling to stay afloat would be crushed, smaller league with far fewer teams.
I would not be saddened by this. Teams like the Arizona Coyotes have no business being in the league to begin with.

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
They need to increase the cap a week or two before the trade deadline. Increase it $3M based on a full-year salary. This creates opportunities and excitement. It's not significant enough to severely change the playing field for rich vs poor teams, but it creates a bit of room, creating a bit of excitement. The owners are still only paying 50% of HRR, so no more money is going out the door...it's just being dispersed a bit differently for the last part of the season. Teams going for it have some room...teams selling have partners able to trade with them, maximizing their rebuilds. Everyone wins.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
As a fan, the non-guaranteed contracts in the NFL are the most entertaining. Never going to happen in the NHL though.

the nfl generally does not do contracts more than 4 yrs other than QB And 1st round picks with 5 th yr options.

I’ve said this before….I see things changing where you don’t see long contracts anymore other than the true elite players that drive ticket sales.

in other sports the avg joe veterans have gotten squeezed out by going with younger players with team control.

with most free agent signings it will be short term 2-3 years.

to be more like the nfl they could adjust buyout cap formula to not be 2/3 but allow front loaded contract that you can terminate its out future salary counting in it, but only count money exceeding the cap hit Have to be accounted for.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
This reality is going to depress those poor little Leaf fans who want to parlay Nick Robertson into a top-4 dman....
Do you go around HF boards just to exact revenge on the people you don't agree with?

This is really chicken shit kind of stuff you're posting here.

Stop.

I don't care if you're bored.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad