Confirmed with Link: The Sabres have signed goalie Michael Houser to a one-year, $700k contract

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

The Houser signing is on the heels of the Lekkas PTO with the Amerks. It sure seems like they are preparing for a goalie trade.

It definitely feels that way.

I have to say I’m somewhat amazed we may actually be able to trade one of our goalies not named Ullmark. Or I guess its amazing that one our goalies would be the possible first guy moved out. As opposed to some of our other players.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

I have to say I’m somewhat amazed we may actually be able to trade one of our goalies not named Ullmark. Or I guess its amazing that one our goalies would be the possible first guy moved out. As opposed to some of our other players.

Given the extra need for depth goalies due to COVID and the lack of cap space in general, I'm not going to be overally surprised if JJ gets moved relatively soon.

And Hutton might move merely off of his rep as a great locker room guy.

Reactions: joshjull

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

UPL might be part of a package :dunno:

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo

It has to be JJ, right? There were those rumors recently, and I can't imagine anyone wanting Hutton with his numbers.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
It has to be JJ, right? There were those rumors recently, and I can't imagine anyone wanting Hutton with his numbers.

The numbers on Hutton and JJ are similar.

The + for JJ is he's cheaper.

The + for Hutton is his experience and rep as a great locker room guy.

We will see which one moves....

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I really don’t get why teams would be interested in JJ. He’s never shown any signs he can handle the NHL. At least with Hutton they can have a vet presence whose great in the room and maybe has something left behind a good team.

EDIT: Unless some teams goalie coach thinks they can work with JJ and get him where he needs to be.

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC

Didn’t someone mention about how if JJ doesn’t start a certain number of games he’ll become a UFA? Perhaps it’s a team that wants to give him starts to evaluate and possibly retain his rights :dunno:

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY

There were murmers a couple weeks ago about teams inquiring on JJ for some reason, so I reckon he'd be the one traded.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012

JJ has career AHLer written all over him. Not sure who is taking a chance on that, but you never know.

SackTastic

Mar 25, 2011
Didn’t someone mention about how if JJ doesn’t start a certain number of games he’ll become a UFA? Perhaps it’s a team that wants to give him starts to evaluate and possibly retain his rights :dunno:

I thought he was going to be Group 6 after this year, but I think I brought this up once and someone showed that I was incorrect.

Reactions: sabresEH

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse

There were murmers a couple weeks ago about teams inquiring on JJ for some reason, so I reckon he'd be the one traded.
While a catchy tune indeed (never heard it, but I like it, thanks for link).

Has no one realized that this signing of Michael Houser is causing Widespread Panic among the healthy Sabres goalies? (He died too young IRL.)

Edit: I think this show was a little less than 2 years before Houser's death. Houser used to prefer to sit to play, so it's not a consequence of his cancer, which was only diagnosed a few months before he passed.

Last edited:

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
Given the extra need for depth goalies due to COVID and the lack of cap space in general, I'm not going to be overally surprised if JJ gets moved relatively soon.

And Hutton might move merely off of his rep as a great locker room guy.

Carter Hutton and I share something in common. We're great locker room guys, but neither one of us can play NHL goalie.

Reactions: dang111

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I thought he was going to be Group 6 after this year, but I think I brought this up once and someone showed that I was incorrect.

NHL CBA FAQ - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

What is a Group 6 UFA?

A player whose contract is expiring and meets all of the following conditions will become an unrestricted free agent (UFA):
  1. The player is 25 years or older (as of June 30th of the calendar year the contract is expiring).
  2. The player has completed 3 or more professional seasons - qualified by 11 or more professional games (for an 18/19 year old player), or 1 or more professional games (for a player aged 20 or older). This can include NHL, minor league, and European professional league seasons played while under an SPC.
  3. The player has played less than 80 NHL games, or 28 NHL games of 30 minutes or greater for a goaltender.
Jonas Johansson - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

I'm not sure why he wouldn't be a group 6 UFA after this season.

:dunno:

He's 25.

He's had more than 3 seasons on an SPC.

And he has 13 NHL games so far. Although, he could hit 28 NHL games.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
I really don’t get why teams would be interested in JJ. He’s never shown any signs he can handle the NHL. At least with Hutton they can have a vet presence whose great in the room and maybe has something left behind a good team.

EDIT: Unless some teams goalie coach thinks they can work with JJ and get him where he needs to be.

@Jim Bob would like a pair of 7ths for JJ

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad