The ROR Beatification Station and Exclusion Zone (Discussion of ROR trade goes here!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
let-it-go-let-it-go.jpg

itwasaforwardpass

I'll be the hyena
Mar 4, 2017
Continued from The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

With the Cellino & Barnes play a big hit, the time is ripe for a Ryan O'Reilly play.
Cellino & Barnes public feud turned into comedy play

Who would you cast to play the characters? Jay Leno has a big enough head to play Botterill, but he'd need some serious makeup work.

Going with an all Game of Thrones cast.

ROR - Kristofer Hivju (Tormund)
Jack Eichel - Jack Gleason (Joffrey)
Sam Reinhart - Iwan Rheon (Ramsay)
Conor Sheary - Peter Dinklage (Tyrion)
Terry Pegula - Julian Glover (Maester Pycelle)
Kim Pegula - Sybel Kekilli (Shae)
Ralph Kreuger - Charles Dance (Tywin Lannister)
Jason Botterill - Conleth Hill (Varys)

Feel free to add more

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Nah, it's at the 'finish him' point of the debate. No one can deny it was a terrible trade.
There may be only one or two misguided posters actually trying to argue it isn't a bad trade.

The rest of us are just trying to make a case now that it isn't the worst thing to ever happen to the Sabres.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
The Ryan O’Reilly Discussion Quarantine Zone [All ROR Posts Here] (Mod Notes OP)

Not sure how to quote from the previous thread, but I wanted to reply to @La Cosa Nostra here:
"Hopefully the Sharks close it out in 5 so they can be fresh against the Bruins.

Bruins Sharks is a dream cup final. 14 years after one of the most shocking trades in NHL history the future HoFer Thornton plays the only other team hes played for in an epic cup final.

Thornton vs Bruins..Chara vs Karlsson. Brent Burns and Marchand. Bring it on."

The Sharks did not possess the lead in any game for a single second from the moment of this post on, and lost three games in a row. With that luck, you'd better openly cheer for the team you DON'T want to win in the finals!

Reactions: Chainshot

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
this thread needs to die..

Then be prepared to hear about more this trade in other threads moreso than already, instead of having a place where mods can move if it gets out of hand.

If you’re not interested in the topic you may be able clean up your forum by ignoring it.

Kublakhan

Lets Go Buffalo !!!
Jan 24, 2013
North Tonawanda
Then be prepared to hear about more this trade in other threads moreso than already, instead of having a place where mods can move if it gets out of hand.

If you’re not interested in the topic you may be able clean up your forum by ignoring it.

well then one of our mods should lock up the one on the trade forum if one black hole should exist..

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
well then one of our mods should lock up the one on the trade forum if one black hole should exist..

I’m not on the trade forum, so I don’t venture into that part so I didn’t know it’s bad there. Unfortunately we have yet to see what the draft pick brings, so a little piece of that is still alive

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
what’s the point of keeping the thread open? ROR was not going to play like he is in STL in Buffalo. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery and expectations and Kane, Lehner, and ROR fit that bill. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
what’s the point of keeping the thread open? ROR was not going to play like he is in STL in Buffalo. Sometimes players just need a change of scenery and expectations and Kane, Lehner, and ROR fit that bill. [MOD]
The point has been explained many times. Unless you want a ban on all ROR talk, it's better for it to go here than in every other thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
I tried searching the previous iteration of this thread but had difficulty finding anything, so apologies if this has been discussed to death.

Did Housley cost us O'Reilly?

O'Reilly of course has culpability for the fractured relationship.

But if we had a coach that wasn't a tire fire with a shitty system, would O'Reilly still be here?

Heck, it's how many coaches that it didn't "work out" with O'Reilly, but O'Reilly seems to be doing just fine this year.

How much of it is the lockerroom leadership? Does St Louis having a veteran captain make the difference?

tl;dr What would the right conditions have been for O'Reilly to have worked out "better" in Buffalo?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
You say that like it doesn't go in every other thread anyways. :laugh:

It's one thing to discuss a gameplan for roster moves, due to holes done by Bott's decision for this trade. If people are just going to post snarky comments in a random thread, say like in a Skinner thread or Dahlin thread, then I don't think that's a good use of a post in that particular thread.

If we're talking about posts in the Roster Speculation or the Jason Botterill thread, then I think it's okay to post, though I probably would post those type of comments unless you can tie it in with the topic. I don't see the issue with bringing it up in terms of why we have the hole and discussing the long term impact on development of players and building the roster and using assets to fill said hole. I think that's fair game. As well as discussing about Botterill's job on his merits. I know those that don't like hearing about the ROR trade, but so far that has been his biggest move so far. If you're expecting people to ignore that, especially when it was his biggest decision/test so far in the context of being a GM, you're going to have a bad time. It encompasses everything you would want to see from a GM. Can he plan long term? Can he get the most out of his assets? Can he determine what is a good/bad move for the organization? Does he take the proper steps to re-structure his team accordingly to be competitive when he trades a player away, can he evaluate players, is he getting the best possible return for the organization to be successful?

Whether we like it or not, people are going to post things we don't want to read or hear for 100th time. You could read it, get mad about it, and stew over it, or just carrying on not let it bother you and most onto other posts that are more interesting to you. Nobody is forcing us to reply to every comment. Only you control what you respond to and what you dont (this is coming from someone who posted "classy" about a post that I should've probably ignored, but decided to respond to. I'm accepting the consequences that may follow from that post).

Reactions: Baccus

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
I tried searching the previous iteration of this thread but had difficulty finding anything, so apologies if this has been discussed to death.

Did Housley cost us O'Reilly?

O'Reilly of course has culpability for the fractured relationship.

But if we had a coach that wasn't a tire fire with a ****ty system, would O'Reilly still be here?

Heck, it's how many coaches that it didn't "work out" with O'Reilly, but O'Reilly seems to be doing just fine this year.

How much of it is the lockerroom leadership? Does St Louis having a veteran captain make the difference?

tl;dr What would the right conditions have been for O'Reilly to have worked out "better" in Buffalo?
I think it all depends on what the real reasons were for trading him, but I think it's quite likely that if we'd had a decent coach and gotten decent results, the notorious locker cleanout comments wouldn't have been made and he would quite possibly still be here. But, like I said, it depends on what the real reasons were for trading him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad