The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
See, when I watch Sturm, I see someone who is more physical than any forwards currently on the Sabres except for Greenway and Cozens. He is also extremely competitive and works hard on the ice.

I also see Cirelli as being less physical than Sturm. He does bring more offense than Sturm, but not as good at PK or faceoffs, and he wouldn’t get enough ice time to justify the cost. He’s really not the role we need, and he costs too much for said role. Sturm fits the role and cost almost perfectly.

Again, I don’t expect anyone to agree but I want to push back against the idea that Sturm is less physical than Cirelli and less physical than most Sabres forwards.
I never said he was less physical than Cirelli, I said he doesn't fit the definition of a physical forward. KA says he wants an identity for the bottom 6 so I'm hoping for some bangers not a gonna lean into the opposing player

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
I never said he was less physical than Cirelli, I said he doesn't fit the definition of a physical forward. KA says he wants an identity for the bottom 6 so I'm hoping for some bangers not a gonna lean into the opposing player
Branching off for only the highlighted...who ya got?

I like Hathaway, Joshua, Lomberg.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Branching off for only the highlighted...who ya got?

I like Hathaway, Joshua, Lomberg.
Depends on how big of moves and whether you look at 4th line or 3rd. You have to look at who's going to be in a cap crunch but I wouldn't mind looking at players like Blueger, Appleton not as bangers but flexibility. Obviously someone like Colton might shake loose. Not my favorite but if Kotkaniemi is waived, he's a decent 3C

If I'm going big game hunting this year's 2nd, 2025 1st with top 5 protection, any prospects except Wahlberg and Ostlund

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Depends on how big of moves and whether you look at 4th line or 3rd. You have to look at who's going to be in a cap crunch but I wouldn't mind looking at players like Blueger, Appleton not as bangers but flexibility. Obviously someone like Colton might shake loose. Not my favorite but if Kotkaniemi is waived, he's a decent 3C

If I'm going big game hunting this year's 2nd, 2025 1st with top 5 protection, any prospects except Wahlberg and Ostlund
4th line wing is specifically my focus.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

Kotkaniemi was playing as a 4th line winger by the end of his time in Carolina (I feel he’s getting bought out). Not exactly a ringing endorsement for the 3C role.

Hasek

Jan 2, 2013
Was looking at some random stats today and one that popped out was Girgs with 688 games played as a Sabre, which puts him 10th all time and 24 behind Zhitnik.
Would like to see him come back next year and make the playoffs. I think Ruff has the ability to stamp out any "losing culture" that this guy has developed over the years and on the other hand, i think Girgs can adapt and be a contributing factor, even if a 4th line checking role player. Just some food for thought.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022
Except that's not what it would be at all. Cirelli ticks a hell of a lot of boxes for what the Sabres are looking for, see the last post I replied to. He also doesn't have trade protection which a lot of players that we are looking to obtain do have. Another +

-------------------

Honestly even though I don't like him as a player very much I wouldn't mind taking Jeannot off Tampa's hands either as I'm sure they're looking to get rid of him.

Now that would be making a deal just for the sake of it and trying to get more "identity" on the 4th line. With an expiring deal after next season, who cares?
No trade protection certainly helps.

Depends on the price for Jeannot but why not.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Was looking at some random stats today and one that popped out was Girgs with 688 games played as a Sabre, which puts him 10th all time and 24 behind Zhitnik.
Would like to see him come back next year and make the playoffs. I think Ruff has the ability to stamp out any "losing culture" that this guy has developed over the years and on the other hand, i think Girgs can adapt and be a contributing factor, even if a 4th line checking role player. Just some food for thought.
Girgs has not been close to one of the many problems this team has had to deal with during his career. But right now i think it is time to move on. More for the sake of change than anything else.

8 returning forwards are already signed for next year & i strongly suspect Krebs will be resigned to make it 9. I guess it's possible to resign Girgs too - but then you are only realistically adding two new players to the group. Which might be enough - but probably not for the majority of the fanbase.

Reactions: Jacob582

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Yea I agree that's a big price. I'd do Ostlund + Jokiharju + whatever else Tampa may be looking for because that's what I think we'd be VERY lucky if Ostlund ended up as an equivalent to Cirelli.

Mystery box and what not.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'd have no problem doing that deal.

This team needs guys like Cirelli on the roster more than they need to "win a trade."
Also agree with this. I think I'd be like whew that's a lot and it hurts but by the time the season rolls around I'm feeling great about how our lineup looks.

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Carrier, Duhaime, Trenin, Martinook, Blais.
Good list but...
1716383516961.png

...I think we also need some faceoff winners. None of these guys are good at faceoffs.
1716383625117.png

... maybe get one of these guys for faceoffs too, in addition to your list.
1716384229469.png

Attachments

• 1716384144378.png
    1716384144378.png
    39.9 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
I'd have no problem doing that deal.

This team needs guys like Cirelli on the roster more than they need to "win a trade."
Like I said, it’s tempting, but I’m more worried about salary structure than winning the trade. So, you give a bunch of futures, which could be cost controlled assets to invest a huge chunk of cap space in a non-premium position. It’s bad cap management. I’d give up that package for the player, but the combo of high salary and premium futures is too rich for me.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
The Cirelli hate is hilarious.

Guys stats are almost all EV points. He gets some second unit PP time and that is it. He's an elite penalty killer and shot blocker. He's the best PK forward on a top 10 PK unit. He scores shorthanded.

Cirelli is almost the best possible embodiment of what we need as a complementary 3C.

The closest comp I could find was when Carolina traded for Jordan Staal. Pittsburgh got two good young players and 8th overall. I don't think we'd quite have to pay THAT price, but the idea that trading 11th OA for a center like Cirelli is stupid because "POINTS" is silly.

Stall finished his ELC and would be 22 st start of the next season
Cirelli is going to be 27.
I believe he has NMCs that kick in st 27 we are also stuck with

I get it, it’s not perfect and does have risks attached. But again, these guys are always POTENTIALLY available for a reason.

If Cirelli was playing fully to the capabilities they expected from him, their posters wouldn’t be saying it’s a possibility.

We need a matchup center; Cirelli has no trade protection, is signed long term and has experience we’re looking for at a great age for our core.

Yes there’s risks, but ones I’m absolutely willing to take if he’s available. If we trade a prospect it can be replaced with the 11th. If we trade the 11th our cupboard is still very deep.

Not saying this is you specifically because we know who the main culprit is but I’m so sick of the bullshit about how we need to hold our picks and prospects unless the perfect trade comes along because our cap situation in 2029 will be disrupted. f***ing enough. Sometimes good is good enough.
Hes 27. Therr isnt any potential. Hes played on the a strong off team over thr years yrt not much production...that'd before you look at contract.

Not selling the farm for that.

There was s reason Mitts was trsded because he did not want a 3C making $6M+ contract
Again, people are thinking that Cirelli is Point 2.0 and he's not even close. He's a decent to good player on a good team but he's not some type of superstar. Definitely not worth the insane packages I'm seeing on here. And he's expensive.
Hes overpaid for his role.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad