The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
We should have played Riley Stillman at forward. He would have been better than Robinson or VO on the 4th line. No?

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I would think that Thompson would require the highest ceiling.

I’ll show myself out.
FB_IMG_1705538930209.jpg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
We should have played Riley Stillman at forward. He would have been better than Robinson or VO on the 4th line. No?

No. Robinson was fun at what he did. And they didn’t use him to PK which was one of his strengths in CBus. Since he tends to use his speed to get in to finish checks, has good straight line speed, and Granato was anti hitting. It isn’t a surprise he didn’t get much run, he wasn’t one of the NTDP chosen ones.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
We know he has attempted to acquire a couple of guys who have trade protection in Matt Murray and Brett Pesce. You never know, at least they ask.
The proposed trade for Murray was all about moving up in the draft & nothing about acquiring the player concerned.

Pesce... I haven't ever seen or heard anything that says they had a concrete deal in place which broke down because of a NTC. Just rumours linking us to trading for him because it made sense on paper.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
The proposed trade for Murray was all about moving up in the draft & nothing about acquiring the player concerned.

Pesce... I haven't ever seen or heard anything that says they had a concrete deal in place which broke down because of a NTC. Just rumours linking us to trading for him because it made sense on paper.
Lebrun had reported Adams reached out to Carolina

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
If I recall correctly, @Chainshot has already started writing up a post for Rossi when Quinn's name was called. Or maybe that was Emerson Etem.
To be fair, I think Rossi got a pretty bad case of COVID that sidelined him for a while which is unpredictable and he's still a productive player now even after that but I doubt anyone has him over Quinner anymore.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Murray was needed for goaltending. They still needed someone to put in starts and then fell back on Anderson. Murray had a relationship with Bales so there was also that.

Pesce was last summer and it came around that they asked and Carolina let them no they were on his list. They didn’t get to a trade.

Reactions: TheMistyStranger

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Marek pretty much confirmed he thought Sabres and Pesce were a done deal until he declined to be moved.
I never knew it was that close. As others have posted above - there is a big difference between enquiring (which is basically due diligence on Adams' part) compared to going so far to get a trade agreed only for the player to veto it. Even if it did get that far - I'm pretty sure Adams would have lost any interest himself once he knew the player wasn't interested.

I'm not saying you are wrong or that I don't believe you. Did Marek say what the proposed deal was? I listen to his podcast sporadically but no more regular than that. Pesce is a player I've always liked.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
No. Robinson was fun at what he did. And they didn’t use him to PK which was one of his strengths in CBus. Since he tends to use his speed to get in to finish checks, has good straight line speed, and Granato was anti hitting. It isn’t a surprise he didn’t get much run, he wasn’t one of the NTDP chosen ones.
I thought I was alone in wanting to keep Robinson. He can be one of the league top 4th liners but his downfall has been doing whatever shitty coach has told him to do.

Reactions: Dingo44 and Ehran

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I thought I was alone in wanting to keep Robinson. He can be one of the league top 4th liners but his downfall has been doing whatever shitty coach has told him to do.
Nope. FWIW, I think he would be a good, solid, 4th line player and help the PK. IMO he just needs a coach that will put him in a situation to work to his strengths.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
One thing which i think gets lost when people draw up lists of trade targets - Adams clearly wants players who want to be here. Those aren't false words. You look at his major acquisitions such as Tuch or Byram as examples.

I can't imagine he'd target a player who wouldn't waive any NMC/NTC for us anyway.
He has targeted such players and been rebuffed.

Exhibit A: Matt Murray

Rumored Exhibit B: Brett Pesce

I think the "guys that want to be here" is more of a cliche that Adams likes to use after he gets guys. And most NHLers are pros and won't pull the pouty "not happy to be here" after they are drafted here, traded here, or especially if they sign here as a UFA.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
He has targeted such players and been rebuffed.

Exhibit A: Matt Murray

Rumored Exhibit B: Brett Pesce

I think the "guys that want to be here" is more of a cliche that Adams likes to use after he gets guys. And most NHLers are pros and won't pull the pouty "not happy to be here" after they are drafted here, traded here, or especially if they sign here as a UFA.

Part of the problem is how the front office has acted. Players see where the spending level is. The Eichel debacle didn’t help either.

there will always be players who don’t want to live in Buffalo, and that is fine. But until the front office proves it is willing to spend and can put together a winning team, it’s going to be an uphill recruiting battle.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I have had a few discussions with some Sabres fans on a trade between the Avs and Sabres involving Ross Colton and was wondering what sort of trade could be worked out.

Is there a world where the Avs add to Colorado could add to him to get 11th overall? If so, what sort of add would the Sabres be looking for?

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I have had a few discussions with some Sabres fans on a trade between the Avs and Sabres involving Ross Colton and was wondering what sort of trade could be worked out.

Is there a world where the Avs add to Colorado could add to him to get 11th overall? If so, what sort of add would the Sabres be looking for?

I could get behind Colton + Lehkonen for 11th.

Not sure Colorado would do that though.

Reactions: Jacob582

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I don't see any possible way giving up 11th OA for Colton. Colton would be a sweetner in an 11th OA deal...and I don't see any way of getting there

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

I don't see anything realistic that Colorado could add to Colton to get #11 out of us.

I'd think it'd also be a major uphill battle to get Colton to waive his NTC to come to Buffalo.

Reactions: MOGlLNY

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad