The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Looking at how Tocchet has made it mandatory for players to do certain things physically, it IS possible to have some new personnel sprinkled into an existing lineup to support that initiative. The problem with Ott/Scott was there was no demand that the existing personnel buy in. The same with Rivet and Regher teams - they need both some abrasiveness from outside AND people to buy in or GTFO on the current roster.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
As compared to everybody putting it into every deal for every player ever? That’s what I’m talking about. Ryan Strome is not worth 11oa. Anthony Cirelli is not worth 11oa. But here we are, just shoveling that pick into every thought.

Strangely, that was one of the few nuggets of wisdom from Tim Murray: he said if I use all of these pics, how can I sign them all. We already see a guy with a skill set missing from the prospect stable who was pushed down a tier rather than getting opportunity to hone his craft in a better league because they have so many small skill guys.

The writing was on that wall when they used all of those draft picks in the first and second rounds over two seasons.

Or even - shockingly - taking someone who is over 6’ tall.

Most prospects start to devalue the moment pick is made. Part of the value of the selection is that the selector has the option to use it in any of a variety of manners with whoever is still available. It holds even greater value when the outcome is nebulous, when the draft order is as yet unknown, not set in cement as it were. There’s far more possibility of just the pic than the reality of the prospect player.
Using all your picks is a particularly bad strategy when you do nothing but repeatedly draft the same exact player.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I've had a hard time letting go of Zemgus. But it's just time.

Old Zemger

giphy.gif

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I wonder if its realistic that Draisatl goes on the market this summer. Thompson + 11th OA +++
Goes on the market, probably less than 2% chance. Goes on the market and waives his NMC to come here, probably less than 1% on a good day.

I’d say there’s a chance that a Draisatl and Marner swap is probably the biggest chance of happening if he would go anywhere.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Goes on the market, probably less than 2% chance. Goes on the market and waives his NMC to come here, probably less than 1% on a good day.

I’d say there’s a chance that a Draisatl and Marner swap is probably the biggest chance of happening if he would go anywhere.

Drai for Marner makes sense for neither team.

The reason the trade Drai is so you aren't spending nearly 30M on two centers. If the Leafs trade marner they run into the same issue as soon as Drai is up for extension.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
Looking at how Tocchet has made it mandatory for players to do certain things physically, it IS possible to have some new personnel sprinkled into an existing lineup to support that initiative. The problem with Ott/Scott was there was no demand that the existing personnel buy in. The same with Rivet and Regher teams - they need both some abrasiveness from outside AND people to buy in or GTFO on the current roster.
Practice one - ten, Oklahoma drills.
Day off
Practice eleven - twenty, More Oklahoma drills.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004

Some interesting names on there that Adams would need to get moving on if he is interested in trading for them...

One thing which i think gets lost when people draw up lists of trade targets - Adams clearly wants players who want to be here. Those aren't false words. You look at his major acquisitions such as Tuch or Byram as examples.

I can't imagine he'd target a player who wouldn't waive any NMC/NTC for us anyway.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
One thing which i think gets lost when people draw up lists of trade targets - Adams clearly wants players who want to be here. Those aren't false words. You look at his major acquisitions such as Tuch or Byram as examples.

I can't imagine he'd target a player who wouldn't waive any NMC/NTC for us anyway.

We know he has attempted to acquire a couple of guys who have trade protection in Matt Murray and Brett Pesce. You never know, at least they ask.

TageGod

Aug 31, 2022

Strictly what this player can max out as:

1) Dahlin
2) Power
3) Thompson

Top 3 are obvious

4) Tuch
5) Byram
6) Savoie
7) Quinn
8) Peterka
9) Levi
10) Cozens

Tuch PPG game breaker potential as seen previous season
Byram has Dahlin type offensive ability
Savoie has the highest upside of anyone remaining with good two way play
Quinn just needs to stay healthy and will be a top 6 two way all situations player
Peterka Will lose points for defense but has top end offensive upside.
Levi is small, deflections will always be a disadvantage and will get less "player hit the goalie" saves
Cozens VS Benson is interesting to me. I still think Cozens has higher upside than Benson. Everyone above Cozens has 1C/1W/1G or 1D potential

I do like Benson, I will take more of him on the roster, but he slots at 11 for me. Not a great goal scorer, and way too slow for that size. 2W potential upside is still nice. The shiny new toy syndrome strikes again, people wanting him in the top 5 is hilarious.

Leaving out UPL is an odd take as he could slot in the top 5 easily.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad