The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Teams were calling on Tuch, too. I doubt either of them is getting moved. They fit what Lindy wants.

I doubt that is the case. We know Arizona wanted them in a potential Chychryn trade and Adams shut the talks down because he was unwilling to move Kulich or Savoie.

Picks and high end prospects will be attractive to GMs, especially those dealing with cap issues.
The reason they're asking about Sammy and Tuch are probably their low cap hits -- so teams with cap issues seem to be looking for cheap contracts over prospects first and foremost. But they ultimately will probably have to back down and accept prospects once they aren't able to acquire the players they want.

Arizona accepted Savoie and Kulich because they were rebuilding. The problem I'm seeing at the moment is that all of the rebuilding teams have already sold off everything of value. Except for maybe Philly, but they still haven't gone full-rebuild. We need some new teams to enter the rebuild phase!

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The reason they're asking about Sammy and Tuch are probably their low cap hits -- so teams with cap issues seem to be looking for cheap contracts over prospects first and foremost. But they ultimately will probably have to back down and accept prospects once they aren't able to acquire the players they want.

Arizona accepted Savoie and Kulich because they were rebuilding. The problem I'm seeing at the moment is that all of the rebuilding teams have already sold off everything of value. Except for maybe Philly, but they still haven't gone full-rebuild. We need some new teams to enter the rebuild phase!
You still have capped out contenders that move guys for picks or prospects strictly to open up cap space for other moves. Or, moving an RFA they can't afford to re-sign for picks or prospects.

Capture.PNG

Here is an example of it from last offseason.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Rethinking the 2024 pick. I'd hold onto it. I'd look to see if the 2025 1st hold similar value for other teams.

I haven't gotten real deep into this season's draft yet, but I've read that it seems like a year where the top ten are good and then sometime after 10-15, there's a steep drop off. If that's the case, the 2025 pick might be more valuable to some teams. Or maybe pick 11 becomes more valuable? Who knows.

That said, Catton would be a good pick. I think Adams may use organizational depth to add to the team, and using the pick would back stop a trade.

I could see Adams waiting out on the 11th pick to see if he gets a sweetheart deal, then making the pick. The "big trade" we're looking for might be similar to the O'Reilly trade, after the draft and right before free agency.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
This is a good list

I think the real question is, who is out.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Greenway-Krebs-Benson
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Joker
Samuelsson-Clifton

UPL
Levi

As far as forwards though, here is my realistic expectation:

Peterka-Thomspon-Tuch -> Primary scoring line
YYYYY-Cozens-Benson -> Matchup line
Skinner-ZZZZZ-Quinn -> Secondary Scoring line
Greenway-XXXX-XXXXX -> 'Character'/High D-zone starts line
Krebs

Byram-Dahlin
Power-DDDDD
Samuelsson-Clifton

UPL
Levi

YYYYY = Mid grade two way winger. Iafallo is my betting favorite considering he is a local kid
ZZZZ= a competition of kids for the secondary scoring line. Krebs/Savoie/Ostlund/Kulich, with Savoie probably the betting favorite.
XXXXX - 4th line 'character' guys. My guess is the center is probably someone we can play up the lineup with the initial play is to have Cozens in the matchup C role.
DDDDD - A more complementary defensemen top 4 D-man. In Crayon, I have written Hakanpaa

Joker is out (probably for picks). No forwards moved out though, just Krebs moved to 13th forward with the secondary scoring center up for competition.

In your set up ...the ZZZZ would probably be Savoie because I just don't see Kulich as an NHL Center.. he will thrive much more on Wing tho I do think it was good for his development to play Center in Rochester. I really don't think Savoie should be up next year.. he should be in the AHL. I think they should all be in Rochester and Rosen traded

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Given Florida's lack of picks in the 2024 draft, I imagine pick 11 would be quite interesting to them. They'd also likely want to cheaply replace the roster spot.

sooo.....11 and Krebs? Probably plus another piece?
11 I'd do. + Krebs I wouldn't for a 1 year rental. It would have to be a prospect, and not Savoie or Kulich. I don't know if that breaks the deal.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
View attachment 870504

I went through a mental exercise this morning with the various roles that they might be looking to address this offseason and some of the options that are out there.

It will be interesting to see what Adams actually pulls off this summer.
Compared to my post immediately above yours:

- We're thinking along very similar lines for the 'middle 6C' role although one or two of your guys are probably a little expensive for me to believe are realistic.

- re RHD, do you really think we need another guy of this calibre? To me a top four of Dahlin / Byram / Power / Samuelsson is tantalising however you want to draw them up. I don't care that they're all lefties - i think too many people get fixated on handedness. Just give me a Radko Gudas type to play on the bottom pair with Clifton & i think we're good.

- re scoring winger, I'm surprised you think we need to add a player of this calibre given what is already on the roster & in the pipeline. Short of a fantasy type blockbuster move for Brady Tkachuk that adds a completely different element i really don't see the need to add a huge chunk of salary & take away a roster spot from Tuch, Quinn, Peterka, Benson, etc. Plus Skinner - because there's no sense in buying him out now, he's realistically untradeable & he's of more use in a scoring role than on the fourth line or worse still rotting in the press box. We simply don't need more skill IMO.

- we're also thinking on similar lines re 'B6 gritty winger'. I'd look at more traditional '4th line' guys who will be out there too, because we need a bunch of these guys not just one. As said above - i think we need an entirely new 4th line like successful teams have & i don't see where these guys are coming from internally.

- aside from Gustavsson i really don't like the goalie options you listed. There must be better options out there?

I'll need to take a look at the free agent list & into various teams' cap situations to do what you have done here, but i see the needs as:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - ? - Greenway
? - ? - ?

Byram - Dahlin
Power - Samuelsson
? - Clifton

UPL
?

I don't think that any of the question marks are currently in the organisation.

Last edited:

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Compared to my post immediately above yours:

- We're thinking along very similar lines for the 'middle 6C' role although one or two of your guys are probably a little expensive for me to believe are realistic.

- re RHD, do you really think we need another guy of this calibre? To me a top four of Dahlin / Byram / Power / Samuelsson is tantalising however you want to draw them up. I don't care that they're all lefties - i think too many people get fixated on handedness. Just give me a Radko Gudas type to play on the bottom pair with Clifton & i think we're good.

- re scoring winger, I'm surprised you think we need to add a player of this calibre given what is already on the roster & in the pipeline. Short of a fantasy type blockbuster move for Brady Tkachuk that adds a completely different element i really don't see the need to add a huge chunk of salary & take away a roster spot from Tuch, Quinn, Peterka, Benson, etc. Plus Skinner - because there's no sense in buying him out now, he's realistically untradeable & he's of more use in a scoring role than on the fourth line or worse still rotting in the press box. We simply don't need more skill IMO.

- we're also thinking on similar lines re 'B6 gritty winger'. I'd look at more traditional '4th line' guys who will be out there too, because we need a bunch of these guys not just one. As said above - i think we need an entirely new 4th line like successful teams have & i don't see where these guys are coming from internally.

- aside from Gustavsson i really don't like the goalie options you listed. There must be better options out there?

I'll need to take a look at the free agent list & into various teams' cap situations to do what you have done here, but i see the needs as:

Skinner - Thompson - Tuch
Peterka - Cozens - Quinn
Benson - ? - Greenway
? - ? - ?

Byram - Dahlin
Power - Samuelsson
? - Clifton

UPL
?

I don't think that any of the question marks are currently in the organisation.
This isn't what I would target, but just some of the positions and players that I have seen people talk about that I could see some sort of logic with regards to the Sabres adding this offseason.

The top 6 scoring winger was based largely on the Sabres trying to sign Patrick Kane last season and him hinting that he's testing the UFA market this summer.

As far as a top 4 RHD, I just think that they are likely to move Jokiharju and I think they need to bolster the D position because I don't think they can count on Samuelsson playing 70+ games in 2024-25. Chris Tanev is a perfect UFA D target for me in that he is a proven vet and a guy that could look good next to Dahlin, Power, or Byram. And then having Samuelsson-Clifton as the lockdown 3rd pair that can eat PK minutes is perfect for me.

And yeah, Cirelli is likely too expensive for Adams's taste. But, I would love to see him playing C for the Sabres. So, I put him on the list.

Gustavsson would be a roll of the dice because he didn't have a great year last year. Stolarz is the guy I would like the best. I just want a veteran guy to backup UPL to start the year and backup or be a 1B to Levi if UPL gets hurt. Stolarz has been good in that role and likely won't get a big deal this summer. But, I wouldn't expect a goalie without some sort of questions to be available this summer. Those kinds of goalies are rare and teams almost never move them if they get one.

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Also if we're having real talk. I'd rather give Stephenson 6.5 over trading for Cirelli with 11th OV. Thats so dumb. Yal'll shoud be ashamed. A 40pt C. Get real.

And I dont want to go after big name fish.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Also if we're having real talk. I'd rather give Stephenson 6.5 over trading for Cirelli with 11th OV. Thats so dumb. Yal'll shoud be ashamed. A 40pt C. Get real.

Oh no not a versatile center who can take d-zone draws, help the PK, has won two cups already.

We might be strong down the middle, have a potential strong D and a good starting goalie then.

Just a terrible blueprint for success.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Samuelsson for Laughton and Hathaway? Ready made 4th line of Greenway-Laughton-Hathaway?

And then they need a physical defender for the top four. Opening one hole trying to close another is just walking in place.

As soon as we acquired Bennett the league would suspend him a year for that sucker punch

Indeed. Buffalo grooming it up again would be a constant trip to the DOPES offices. But better to start than wait.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY

The challenge is that the Sabres might not be able to sign a UFA like Stephenson unless they massively overpay.

Cirelli doesn't have trade protection until 7/1. So, if the Lightning want to move him and gain cap flexibility, I think the Sabres should be in on it and not hope they can land Stephenson in FA.

Reactions: Mattilaus

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
And then they need a physical defender for the top four. Opening one hole trying to close another is just walking in place.

I mean, in theory there are a few out there as UFAs that play the right side. Who knows what the bidding will be like this summer with extra cap space though

A fever dream.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (12)
Right Wing: Alex Tuch ($4,750,000) - Jack Quinn ($863,333) - Zach Benson ($950,000) - Garnet Hathaway ($2,375,000)
Centre: Tage Thompson ($7,142,857) - Dylan Cozens ($7,100,000) - Anthony Cirelli ($6,250,000) - Scott Laughton ($3,000,000)
Left Wing: John-Jason Peterka ($855,833) - Jiri Kulich ($918,333) - Alex Iafallo ($4,000,000) - Jordan Greenway ($3,000,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Rasmus Dahlin ($11,000,000) - Jani Hakanpää ($3,500,000) - Connor Clifton ($3,333,333)
Left: Bowen Byram ($3,850,000) - Owen Power ($8,350,000) - Ryan Johnson ($925,000) - Jacob Bryson ($1,500,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen ($4,750,000) - Casey DeSmith ($2,000,000)

BUYOUTS (2)
Christian Ehrhoff ($0) - Jeff Skinner ($1,444,445)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
Salary Cap: $87,500,000
Cap Hit: $81,858,134
Cap Space: $5,641,866

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I mean, in theory there are a few out there as UFAs that play the right side. Who knows what the bidding will be like this summer with extra cap space though

A fever dream.

CapFriendly.com Armchair-GM User-Generated Roster

FORWARDS (12)
Right Wing: Alex Tuch ($4,750,000) - Jack Quinn ($863,333) - Zach Benson ($950,000) - Garnet Hathaway ($2,375,000)
Centre: Tage Thompson ($7,142,857) - Dylan Cozens ($7,100,000) - Anthony Cirelli ($6,250,000) - Scott Laughton ($3,000,000)
Left Wing: John-Jason Peterka ($855,833) - Jiri Kulich ($918,333) - Alex Iafallo ($4,000,000) - Jordan Greenway ($3,000,000)

DEFENSE (7)
Right: Rasmus Dahlin ($11,000,000) - Jani Hakanpää ($3,500,000) - Connor Clifton ($3,333,333)
Left: Bowen Byram ($3,850,000) - Owen Power ($8,350,000) - Ryan Johnson ($925,000) - Jacob Bryson ($1,500,000)

GOALTENDER (2)
Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen ($4,750,000) - Casey DeSmith ($2,000,000)

BUYOUTS (2)
Christian Ehrhoff ($0) - Jeff Skinner ($1,444,445)

DETAILS
Roster Size: 21
Salary Cap: $87,500,000
Cap Hit: $81,858,134
Cap Space: $5,641,866

That is an interesting group, would be very deep though I wonder at Kulich making the team out of camp.

RHD get paid if they make it to UFA. I know fiscal responsibility is something you would like out of Adams based on how you have had qualms about some of his previous deals so I wonder at trying to outbid at that spot particularly. I would like them to shop for RHD in trade - particularly if the comments that someone like Whitecloud is a likely casualty in Vegas then go hard there. Vegas uses picks to make their deadline deals so offering them a couple of picks (say a second and a third spread over two years) as an opener gets another right shot on the blueline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad