The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
The Marner doesn't perform in the playoffs is kind of a misnomer, he has 50 points in 57 games. However both those trades are ugly moreso the 2nd one Leaf fans proposed.

Reactions: Jacob582

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I'd take on Tavares to be a 3C. Would be relatively cheap and I think it buys us a year to decide what we want to do as well. Tavares is solid in his own zone. Gotta think it wouldn't cost much more than a middling pick.

Reactions: jc17

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
I recommend listening to the Vinny prospal interview on Sabres live last week. We’re lucky to have him. I reckon he’s every bit as good as Peca, if not better. I hope they don’t let him walk away.
Can someone get a link for this? Can’t find it…I dumbs

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I'd take on Tavares to be a 3C. Would be relatively cheap and I think it buys us a year to decide what we want to do as well. Tavares is solid in his own zone. Gotta think it wouldn't cost much more than a middling pick.
Pylon Cinderella. At any moment he may transform. I hope we spend resources better.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I've been out of this thread for a while & im somewhat scared to jump back in.

This is how i see the current landscape / how i think they need to approach this offseason & beyond:

Locks/core pieces:

Thompson
Tuch
Skinner (buying him out makes no sense at this point, I'd see how he does under Lindy & reevaluate in 2025)
Cozens
Quinn
Peterka
Greenway (i saw enough good from him last year - he has the potential to bring something every game which is otherwise completely lacking)
Benson

Dahlin
Byram
Power
Samuelsson (the constant injuries are concerning however)
Clifton (he's a fine yet overpaid bottom pair guy)

UPL
Levi (preferably he'll be alpha #1 in the AHL)

Based on the above - needs :

Third line C (two way / defensive)
An actual NHL calibre 4th line, who do 4th line things.
Physical bottom pair D (who wouldn't look totally out of place in a bigger role).
Legit NHL backup goalie, (preferably a 1B type)

Literally everything not mentioned above should be on the table in order to acquire said pieces. I don't care if we 'lose' a trade in terms of perceived value because we'll be getting what we need & trading away what we already have an abundance of.

Id look to move on from RFAs Krebs, Jokiharju, Bryson & Clague. Krebs is a tough one but if he can't become the type of player we need right now - he has limited value.

I'd move on from all UFAs. I love Girgs but both parties need a change of scenery.

The likes of Rosen/Kulich/Savoie/Ostlund etc. can't all possibly make the roster. Trading them before their value potentially plummets makes more sense to me than trading #11 who would be on a different timeline. Not saying you have to trade them all but I'm confident that 2/4 will never factor for this team. That said - im not averse to trading away picks in the right deal.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Capture.PNG

I went through a mental exercise this morning with the various roles that they might be looking to address this offseason and some of the options that are out there.

It will be interesting to see what Adams actually pulls off this summer.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
View attachment 870504

I went through a mental exercise this morning with the various roles that they might be looking to address this offseason and some of the options that are out there.

This is a good list

I think the real question is, who is out.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Greenway-Krebs-Benson
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Joker
Samuelsson-Clifton

UPL
Levi

As far as forwards though, here is my realistic expectation:

Peterka-Thomspon-Tuch -> Primary scoring line
YYYYY-Cozens-Benson -> Matchup line
Skinner-ZZZZZ-Quinn -> Secondary Scoring line
Greenway-XXXX-XXXXX -> 'Character'/High D-zone starts line
Krebs

Byram-Dahlin
Power-DDDDD
Samuelsson-Clifton

UPL
Levi

YYYYY = Mid grade two way winger. Iafallo is my betting favorite considering he is a local kid
ZZZZ= a competition of kids for the secondary scoring line. Krebs/Savoie/Ostlund/Kulich, with Savoie probably the betting favorite.
XXXXX - 4th line 'character' guys. My guess is the center is probably someone we can play up the lineup with the initial play is to have Cozens in the matchup C role.
DDDDD - A more complementary defensemen top 4 D-man. In Crayon, I have written Hakanpaa

Joker is out (probably for picks). No forwards moved out though, just Krebs moved to 13th forward with the secondary scoring center up for competition.

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
This is a good list

I think the real question is, who is out.

Skinner-Thompson-Tuch
Peterka-Cozens-Quinn
Greenway-Krebs-Benson
XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

Byram-Dahlin
Power-Joker
Samuelsson-Clifton

UPL
Levi

As far as forwards though, here is my realistic expectation:

Peterka-Thomspon-Tuch -> Primary scoring line
YYYYY-Cozens-Benson -> Matchup line
Skinner-ZZZZZ-Quinn -> Secondary Scoring line
Greenway-XXXX-XXXXX -> 'Character'/High D-zone starts line
Krebs

Byram-Dahlin
Power-DDDDD
Samuelsson-Clifton

UPL
Levi

YYYYY = Mid grade two way winger. Iafallo is my betting favorite considering he is a local kid
ZZZZ= a competition of kids for the secondary scoring line. Krebs/Savoie/Ostlund/Kulich, with Savoie probably the betting favorite.
XXXXX - 4th line 'character' guys. My guess is the center is probably someone we can play up the lineup with the initial play is to have Cozens in the matchup C role.
DDDDD - A more complementary defensemen top 4 D-man. In Crayon, I have written Hakanpaa

Joker is out (probably for picks). No forwards moved out though, just Krebs moved to 13th forward with the secondary scoring center up for competition.
The challenge is what do other GMs want in trade from a roster player POV.

Jokiharju is the name that will get put out there the most. Given how RHD are valued around the league, it makes sense.

Skinner falls into the "I doubt they move him, but that would be great if they did" bucket for most fans. I just don't see them buying him out and I doubt they can figure out a trade that Skinner would accept.

Krebs is a guy that I could see getting moved. Although, with Krebs being a part of the WHL hive with Cozens and Byram, I am not expecting it. But, I don't see where he really fits with what the roster needs.

I think guys like JJP, Quinn, and Greenway are low key trade candidates. Greenway because he was "Don's guy" and JJP and Quinn because they have not been locked up yet and they have Kulich, Rosen, & Savoie coming up.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015

Jokiharju is the name that will get put out there the most. Given how RHD are valued around the league, it makes sense.

Skinner falls into the "I doubt they move him, but that would be great if they did" bucket for most fans. I just don't see them buying him out and I doubt they can figure out a trade that Skinner would accept.

Krebs is a guy that I could see getting moved. Although, with Krebs being a part of the WHL hive with Cozens and Byram, I am not expecting it. But, I don't see where he really fits with what the roster needs.

I think guys like JJP, Quinn, and Greenway are low key trade candidates. Greenway because he was "Don's guy" and JJP and Quinn because they have not been locked up yet and they have Kulich, Rosen, & Savoie coming up.
Lindy's high praise for Peterka along with Benson's play lead me to believe there's no room on this roster for Jeffery D Skinner.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
View attachment 870504

Good list but I'd add Colton and Paul to the "Center trade" list.

There are a lot of options for a mid 6 C, no reason at all for Adams to fail at landing one.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Lindy's high praise for Peterka along with Benson's play lead me to believe there's no room on this roster for Jeffery D Skinner.
The challenge is Skinner's contract and full NMC.

Adams could surprise a lot of people by buying Skinner out. But, I will believe that when I see it. And I just do not see trading Skinner out of town being a realistic option.

Good list but I'd add Colton and Paul to the "Center trade" list.

There are a lot of options for a mid 6 C, no reason at all for Adams to fail at landing one.
Adams should be calling every GM of a solid playoff team with cap issues and see if they have a solid veteran middle 6 C that they want/need to move for some cap relief.

I tried to stay away from guys like Paul that had significant trade protections. With Paul having a full NTC, I doubt the Sabres can land him.

MeenOlViks

May 25, 2015
The challenge is Skinner's contract and full NMC.

Adams could surprise a lot of people by buying Skinner out. But, I will believe that when I see it. And I just do not see trading Skinner out of town being a realistic option.
Skinner will get the extended Ralph Plus plan if there's no buyout.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Apparently plenty of teams are calling about Kjell 2.0

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Adams should be calling every GM of a solid playoff team with cap issues and see if they have a solid veteran middle 6 C that they want/need to move for some cap relief.

I tried to stay away from guys like Paul that had significant trade protections. With Paul having a full NTC, I doubt the Sabres can land him.
Ah, yes. I keep forgetting that Paul is the one with the full NTC and Cirelli's hasn't kicked in yet...I keep thinking it';s the other way around.

Low cap hit, long deal, no NTC, and logs a ton of minutes = high value.

Adams is asking for trades but no one wants our prospects or picks

Reactions: Jim Bob

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Teams were calling on Tuch, too. I doubt either of them is getting moved. They fit what Lindy wants.

Adams is asking for trades but no one wants our prospects or picks
I doubt that is the case. We know Arizona wanted them in a potential Chychryn trade and Adams shut the talks down because he was unwilling to move Kulich or Savoie.

Picks and high end prospects will be attractive to GMs, especially those dealing with cap issues.

Reactions: Zman5778

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad