The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The prime window for reshaping a roster starts the week before the draft and ends around 7/15 (my birthday is 7/9, hence the comment about my birthday).

Yet last year, when I said that I didn't expect much to happen after the Clifton and EJ signings happened that first week of UFA, I had so many people telling me that I was being too pessimistic and big moves could still happen.

And we all saw how that played out...

Everyone who hangs onto the possibility of a move points to the Skinner trade which was one of the few outliers that happen in August as the reason why is so much grasping at straws.

Rosters are built Draft Week. If things aren't done then, it likely isn't happening because teams will have their cap allocated and roster positions filled by the time Dev Camps start.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Coots is 31yo, is already showing signs of wearing down, and has 6 more seasons left on his deal with a $7.75M AAV.

I can't see the Flyers retaining enough to make it worth it with him being on that contract until he's 37yo.

That is the issue, I doubt Philly is willing to make the math work

Archie Lee

Apr 13, 2018
When do you see a spot for them on the roster? Answer: never. They need to be traded, and the sooner you do it, the less value they lose. As it is, Rosen was probably worth more as a raw draft pick than he is now. I could be wrong but I’d guess most teams would prefer our first rounder than him, a former first rounder.
I’m not opposed to trading one or more of our top prospects, I just think that they are worth more than what you are proposing. I think we can add players through free agency, or by trading lesser assets, who can give us similar to what Dowd or TVR would give us. No need to part with high end prospects for that type of a return.

There is no reason why Rosen and Kulich can’t spend another year in Rochester or why Savoie and Ostlund can’t spend the next two seasons there. If things go as hoped, we will have cap issues as soon as next year. Having multiple good young players still on ELCs is a good thing. I like Dowd and the d-men you reference, but that price is too high for me.

Reactions: Selanne00008

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Given that I expect Stamkos to get a much bigger deal, it might not be the lesser of two evils.
Not sure he'll get a long-term deal considering he's about to turn 35. In general, as I said earlier, I don’t like both options. Better to get a good 3C and a versatile winger for the top 9.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Not sure he'll get a long-term deal considering he's about to turn 35. In general, as I said earlier, I don’t like both options. Better to get a good 3C and a versatile winger for the top 9.
Over the last 3 seasons, Stamkos has played in 241 out of 246 regular season games (98% of games) and scored 116 goals and 271 points. That's .48 G/GP and 1.12 Pts/GP.

If Buffalo is going to land him, they are likely going to have to pay a premium. No thanks.

And in comparison, over the past three seasons, Kane has played in 123 games (50% of games), scored 41 goals and 104 pts. That .33 g/gp and .85 pts/gp.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
I’m not opposed to trading one or more of our top prospects, I just think that they are worth more than what you are proposing. I think we can add players through free agency, or by trading lesser assets, who can give us similar to what Dowd or TVR would give us. No need to part with high end prospects for that type of a return.

There is no reason why Rosen and Kulich can’t spend another year in Rochester or why Savoie and Ostlund can’t spend the next two seasons there. If things go as hoped, we will have cap issues as soon as next year. Having multiple good young players still on ELCs is a good thing. I like Dowd and the d-men you reference, but that price is too high for me.
Fair enough! It’s hard to even say what prices are this year so we’ll have to wait and see.

Watching the playoffs, I just don’t see a lot of these guys ever really making an impact, but I too would want to maximize the return we get. Just not so sure they hold much value, or will ever hold much value to other teams. I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Over the last 3 seasons, Stamkos has played in 241 out of 246 regular season games (98% of games) and scored 116 goals and 271 points. That's .48 G/GP and 1.12 Pts/GP.

If Buffalo is going to land him, they are likely going to have to pay a premium. No thanks.

And in comparison, over the past three seasons, Kane has played in 123 games (50% of games), scored 41 goals and 104 pts. That .33 g/gp and .85 pts/gp.
Money is hardly a problem, but term... Without Kucherov, he would not have scored so much.

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Post of the day.
Where was this enthusiasm when I said these things in 2021?

when everyone told me I was stupid and impatient and Adams had a plan? That next year was the year for moves. And then the next year was the year was. And now it’s definitely now.

I’ve been blasted for saying we’ve been waiting too long on moving futures for years. Oh…you want to be like Tim Murray?!?! Years of that shit

Welcome to the f***ing party

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Hey Buffalo Fans!

what are your thoughts on savoie, kulich and rosen ? seems like you guys have a ton of talent on the nhl roster and ahl roster! would you be upset if any of them got traded ? sorry, not a buffalo fan so trying to get a feel of what you guys think ?

I don't see savoie or odtlund getting moved.
How do people feel about Iafallo as a bottom 6/9 pickup if WPG wants to move on from him? One year left on his deal, kinda an average PKer/body. Local kid from Eden.

I'm good with it as long as I'm not trading 1st. 2nd, top prospects.
When do you see a spot for them on the roster? Answer: never. They need to be traded, and the sooner you do it, the less value they lose. As it is, Rosen was probably worth more as a raw draft pick than he is now. I could be wrong but I’d guess most teams would prefer our first rounder than him, a former first rounder.

I see Savoie and Ostlund primarily in rochester next year

I see Rosen and Kulich getting more time in buffalo next year

I seethem trading Peterka more than other prospects

Long term wingers are(8) benson, Quinn, tuch, greenway is resigned if low hit.
Decide on Savoie, Peterka. Rosen, Kulich, wahlburg, Poltapov, others

At center there is (4)-- Tage, Cozens, Ostlund

I'm not trading the top young players for short term rentals.

2025 is where I see them moving thr young players.

This summer its Krebs, Jokiharju, and maybe Rosen/ kulich get moved in a trade with an outside shot in byram being trade if my hunch is right.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

when everyone told me I was stupid and impatient and Adams had a plan? That next year was the year for moves. And then the next year was the year was. And now it’s definitely now.

I’ve been blasted for saying we’ve been waiting too long on moving futures for years. Oh…you want to be like Tim Murray?!?! Years of that shit

Welcome back!

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES

I lean even more towards holding onto them. I mean JFC, it took Sam Reinhardt until he was 25-26 years old to truly break out. Same with Mitts and others.

Marinate those high end picks until they are 23 for all I care. Let em build some true man strength before their entry level contracts kick in. What's another 2-3 more years of suffering at this point.

I don't really see guys like Kulich, Savoie and Benson challenging the top echelon of playoff worn vets like Tkachuk, Hedman, Marchand, Pasta, etc. Yet, at the same time, there's no way I am giving them away for 1-2 years of a vet D.

We can move one of our high end pieces, but it would need to be someone in the 24-27 years old range that will stick here (think Tuch).

Reactions: Archie Lee

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I lean even more towards holding onto them. I mean JFC, it took Sam Reinhardt until he was 25-26 years old to truly break out. Same with Mitts and others.

Marinate those high end picks until they are 23 for all I care. Let em build some true man strength before their entry level contracts kick in. What's another 2-3 more years of suffering at this point.

I don't really see guys like Kulich, Savoie and Benson challenging the top echelon of playoff worn vets like Tkachuk, Hedman, Marchand, Pasta, etc. Yet, at the same time, there's no way I am giving them away for 1-2 years of a vet D.

We can move one of our high end pieces, but it would need to be someone in the 24-27 years old range that will stick here (think Tuch).

If they miss the playoffs for another 3 years, I’d seriously contemplate deep throating a shotgun.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester

I must've been living my life that day? Heres a cookie though hope you feel better??...

(What an odd post to be quoted in)

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I agree that it makes no sense to trade our best prospects for veterans who will soon be UFAs. But guys like Cirelli and Farabee are different.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

Irie

Nov 14, 2010
Pacific Northwest

You still don't get it. This is not the NFL.

NHL prospects often need 5-6 years to marinade before they will be impact players in the league.

When you were screaming to trade everyone under the sun back in 2021, the young guys were too young to carry the weight of the core. Trading picks and prospects back then would only drain the farm, and the guys you brought in 3 years ago would be all UFAs now, and riding off to greener pastures with other teams, or demanding huge UFA contracts that this team could not fit under the cap. The team would be devoid of young talent on ELCs coming up through the pipeline to infuse talent into the roster on the cheap(because you traded all those picks 3 years ago), and would have to bargain-bin shop the UFA leftovers for the only guys you could afford, more tired 7th defensemen and 13th forwards that would be willing to come here for league min.

Reality is, had Adams sold off the picks and prospects that early in the rebuild, the team likely would have made the playoffs as a bubble team, been bounced in the first round and be looking at a disappointing future now.

Timing.

Is.

Everything.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
Something around Power for Marner is what I'm really interested in. He's a disappearing act in the playoffs but he would immediately be our best forward. I dont know if Power ever turns into more than what he is.

That and buying out Skinner is where I would start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad