The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
What about Pageau or Haula

Haula has been a perpetual favorite of mine since before he blew up his knee in Vegas. He played a lot of wing, much of it as the defensive cover for Jack Hughes, and was the faceoff guy there. But that said, he's got a full NTC right now.

Pageau was one of my list of centers who might be available but further down it. His game has fallen but perhaps the Isles shop for new blood or start to retool. *shrug* He also has movement protection - 16-team NTC.

Reactions: Fjordy

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Haula has been a perpetual favorite of mine since before he blew up his knee in Vegas. He played a lot of wing, much of it as the defensive cover for Jack Hughes, and was the faceoff guy there. But that said, he's got a full NTC right now.

Pageau was one of my list of centers who might be available but further down it. His game has fallen but perhaps the Isles shop for new blood or start to retool. *shrug* He also has movement protection - 16-team NTC.
I think it's quite possible to get a player like this at a reasonable cost.

I already mentioned Coleman, Colton and the rest. There's this guy Voronkov in Columbus and there's some weird rumors going around about him, I'm not sure if he's available, but we could use that type of player.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I seriously hope they don't sign someone just for an extra 10% on faceoffs.
Ruff mentioned faceoffs during the press conference. I don't think they bring in someone just for faceoffs but I do think they will bring in someone where they also can take faceoffs. It makes sense. This team needs a 3rd line center unless they plan on shuffling players around.

Reactions: Fjordy

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I still think Colton is the perfect mix of:
  • current team's in cap crunch
  • good at faceoffs
  • no trade protection
  • underutilized (12 mins/game in playoffs)
  • perfect age (27)
  • signed for term
  • past trade partner in the GM
  • plays in front of the net
  • History of solid defensive play (not excellent but better than current centers).
I don't understand why we wouldn't go all-in on him.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I'm probably in the minority on this, but I seriously hope they don't sign someone just for an extra 10% on faceoffs.

Ruff mentioned faceoffs during the press conference. I don't think they bring in someone just for faceoffs but I do think they will bring in someone where they also can take faceoffs. It makes sense. This team needs a 3rd line center unless they plan on shuffling players around.

I don't think anyone is suggesting we sign an Eakin type who basically can only win faceoffs

I think what has happened in the front office as a whole is they've realized losing possession off the faceoffs of as much as they do at a macro level has made an impact.

What Ruff did in NJ is they had Haula play with Jack Hughes (who is terrible at faceoffs) and Haula just took the draws.

We will see what happens. Adams mentioned a '4th line center who can win faceoffs' as a potential target back at the trade deadline. So there is some momentum that they could actually address this need.

I wouldn't be opposed to adding a skills coach that can help address this internally too.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I don't think anyone is suggesting we sign an Eakin type who basically can only win faceoffs

I think what has happened in the front office as a whole is they've realized losing possession off the faceoffs of as much as they do at a macro level has made an impact.

What Ruff did in NJ is they had Haula play with Jack Hughes (who is terrible at faceoffs) and Haula just took the draws.

We will see what happens. Adams mentioned a '4th line center who can win faceoffs' as a potential target back at the trade deadline. So there is some momentum that they could actually address this need.

I wouldn't be opposed to adding a skills coach that can help address this internally too.
I could be wrong but the poster literally said he hopes they don't bring in someone just for faceoffs. Did you not read that? I quoted him and was my response.

I wasn't implying anything the other poster was.

• Wow
Reactions: MeenOlViks

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

I already mentioned Coleman, Colton and the rest. There's this guy Voronkov in Columbus and there's some weird rumors going around about him, I'm not sure if he's available, but we could use that type of player.

What’s the rumours about the Russian Big Rig?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I think everyone would line up for Voronkov if he was available.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
Something I've only thought of today is that some coaches really like lefty-righty balance on D. At least in his time here, Ruff had no problem with Lydman and Ehrhoff playing almost exclusively on their off-side. Bodes well for our very lefty-heavy D-corps and keeping Dahlin on the right side, for instance.

Whether an all-lefty top 4 of Dahlin, Power, Byram, and Samuelsson is a step too far though who knows, but he might be open to that and not needing a top 4 righty.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Something I've only thought of today is that some coaches really like lefty-righty balance on D. At least in his time here, Ruff had no problem with Lydman and Ehrhoff playing almost exclusively on their off-side. Bodes well for our very lefty-heavy D-corps and keeping Dahlin on the right side, for instance.

Whether an all-lefty top 4 of Dahlin, Power, Byram, and Samuelsson is a step too far though who knows, but he might be open to that and not needing a top 4 righty.

I think it helps that Dahlin has a stated preference for playing the off-side.......as I think Ehrhoff did.

I don't think Lindy is going to come in and tell Dahls he has to play on the left....especially when he plays better on the right.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I still think Colton is the perfect mix of:
  • current team's in cap crunch
  • good at faceoffs
  • no trade protection
  • underutilized (12 mins/game in playoffs)
  • perfect age (27)
  • signed for term
  • past trade partner in the GM
  • plays in front of the net
  • History of solid defensive play (not excellent but better than current centers).
I don't understand why we wouldn't go all-in on him.

Yep, he seems like one of the top trade choices.

Reactions: My Cozen Dylan

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
Monahan was a +124 on face-offs this year
Duchene +83

We could be one of those teams that rolls 4x 2nd lines with Tage, Cozens, Duchene and Monaghan down the middle.

Professor Chaos

May 1, 2018
Gotham

Boone Jenner for me...

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
What value would you put on Monahan, how much term?
Hard to say. He bounced back in a big way this year, but he could turn back into a pumpkin at any time and he really struggled for the 3 seasons prior to this one.

3x$6mm? Honestly not sure what’s realistic

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Unlocking Campbell involved putting him on the right side.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad