The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Anyone want to take a stab at what type of players Ruff will want to target in the offseason, and what players on the current roster he'd want to move on from? Shoot!

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Anyone want to take a stab at what type of players Ruff will want to target in the offseason, and what players on the current roster he'd want to move on from? Shoot!
As @TehDoak said earlier in this thread, Haula-type Swiss Army knife player who can play any position in the top 9. Maybe someone like Coleman or Haula, there are plenty of players like that in the league to target.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Looking at the rosters he had in Dallas and NJ will be way more informative than what people want to remember from his time with the Sabres.

Personally, I think he will help Adams target the right mix they need in the bottom 6 and how he wants to shape the defense corps.

I doubt he will want massive turnover as he has the ability to adapt to what he has been given. But, I won't be shocked if he tried to push for the right veterans to help with the consistency needed to be a playoff team.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Looking at the rosters he had in Dallas and NJ will be way more informative than what people want to remember from his time with the Sabres.

Personally, I think he will help Adams target the right mix they need in the bottom 6 and how he wants to shape the defense corps.

I doubt he will want massive turnover as he has the ability to adapt to what he has been given. But, I won't be shocked if he tried to push for the right veterans to help with the consistency needed to be a playoff team.

Assuming he had a high amount of influence in shaping those rosters. Not sure on the relationship and structure in place that those teams had.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
In looking at a UFA veteran center/winger with good faceoff %

Henrique, Monahan, Lindholm, Stephenson, Domi, Stenlund, Blueger

Stenlund/Blueger make sense on the 4th line.

I'm actually intrigued a bit by Domi, especially if we move him to wing. he's awful defensively, but great at the dot. Being able to maintain possession in the offensive zone would be a good thing.

He's also a total POS, which we could also use.

Reactions: KeepKane

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Assuming he had a high amount of influence in shaping those rosters. Not sure on the relationship and structure in place that those teams had.
I think he had as much of a hand in shaping those rosters as he did here in his first go around.

He could have a bigger hand in shaping things than he has ever had before. And one of the things that Marty Biron mentioned yesterday was he talked to Tyler Toffoli about Lindy this season and what kinds of players thrive under him. Toffoli mentioned that you have to have a high hockey IQ because Lindy will shift forechecking systems mid-game depending on how things are going. You need to be able to adapt on the fly.

I think all the people talking about how Lindy will demand that Adams goes out and gets a couple of goons to beat people up are ignoring how Lindy's teams have played since the lockout and especially in Dallas and NJ. Lindy has had teams in Dallas and NJ that won games with young, offensive minded players like the Sabres have here. He is not just a guy that wins playing a pre-lockout trap and rely on a HOF goalie to win 2-1 games with a bunch of plumbers that work hard.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I think he had as much of a hand in shaping those rosters as he did here in his first go around.

He could have a bigger hand in shaping things than he has ever had before. And one of the things that Marty Biron mentioned yesterday was he talked to Tyler Toffoli about Lindy this season and what kinds of players thrive under him. Toffoli mentioned that you have to have a high hockey IQ because Lindy will shift forechecking systems mid-game depending on how things are going. You need to be able to adapt on the fly.

I think all the people talking about how Lindy will demand that Adams goes out and gets a couple of goons to beat people up are ignoring how Lindy's teams have played since the lockout and especially in Dallas and NJ. Lindy has had teams in Dallas and NJ that won games with young, offensive minded players like the Sabres have here. He is not just a guy that wins playing a pre-lockout trap and rely on a HOF goalie to win 2-1 games with a bunch of plumbers that work hard.
This is how I feel.

I think he's going to want a center that can play a shutdown role in the top-9. I'm also buying into the rumors they're going to buyout Skinner. If any team has the young player on ELCs to get through the first two years of harsh cap penalty- it's Buffalo.

If Im looking at the team right now (rough draft, so take the lines with a grain of salt):

XXX-Thompson-Tuch
Greenway-Cozens-Quinn
Peterka-XXX-Benson
Girgs-XXX-XXX

One or two of those XXXs will be filled by young players (Kulich, Savoie, etc..), but I'd put big money on him wanting a veteran top-9 C who can do the heavy lifting for which ever young wingers are scattered on the 3rd. Even with a veteran center, our top-2 centers still have a ton to learn about the defensive side of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wants two veteran centers he can lean on in crunch time up a goal.

It's not super important to fixate on getting a bonafide top-6 winger. If he can get a top-9 role player who will do the dirty work for the scoring lines- I think Ruff would be happy. Ideally, they'll only be one or two spots open for competition.

Reactions: KeepKane

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY

I'm actually intrigued a bit by Domi, especially if we move him to wing. he's awful defensively, but great at the dot. Being able to maintain possession in the offensive zone would be a good thing.

Nosek came to mind. Ruff connection. Vegas/Tuch connection. 4th line only though.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn

I'd rather go for a trade since we have so many assets that we eventually need to use; you'll get better options AND better AAVs.

For UFAs I'd look at the RHD like Roy or Pesce and 4th line wingers like Trenin. Not the extremely important role of 3C.

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I'd rather go for a trade since we have so many assets that we eventually need to use; you'll get better options AND better AAVs.

For UFAs I'd look at the RHD like Roy or Pesce and 4th line wingers like Trenin. Not the extremely important role of 3C.

Agreed. Go UFA on the energy wingers but trade for a pivot.

KeepKane

May 6, 2015
This is how I feel.

I think he's going to want a center that can play a shutdown role in the top-9. I'm also buying into the rumors they're going to buyout Skinner. If any team has the young player on ELCs to get through the first two years of harsh cap penalty- it's Buffalo.

If Im looking at the team right now (rough draft, so take the lines with a grain of salt):

XXX-Thompson-Tuch
Greenway-Cozens-Quinn
Peterka-XXX-Benson
Girgs-XXX-XXX

One or two of those XXXs will be filled by young players (Kulich, Savoie, etc..), but I'd put big money on him wanting a veteran top-9 C who can do the heavy lifting for which ever young wingers are scattered on the 3rd. Even with a veteran center, our top-2 centers still have a ton to learn about the defensive side of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wants two veteran centers he can lean on in crunch time up a goal.

It's not super important to fixate on getting a bonafide top-6 winger. If he can get a top-9 role player who will do the dirty work for the scoring lines- I think Ruff would be happy. Ideally, they'll only be one or two spots open for competition.
I agree with all of this except I do not want the young guys(Kulich, Savoie, Rosen) competing for 4th line minutes. If one of those guys wins a spot in top 9 like Benson did this year, than so be it but ideally we bring in enough depth so that they can keep cooking in Rochester and come up when the inevitable injuries happen.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
What old guy who used to be a decent star and now is slow but good at faceoffs is available?
Matt Duchene fits that bill, he's winning 56.5% this season and on a 1yr deal with Dallas. Don't know if he'd come here, don't know if we'd want him, but he's there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad