The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Cirelli is the player acquisition dream along the lines of the RBA hire as the head coach.

The only thing is that the Lightning do have a cap crunch. Especially if they want to re-sign Stamkos and he is unwilling to take a Bergeron-esque team friendly deal to do so. With Cirelli being one of the main big money, long term guys without any trade protection, I think there is a sliver of a chance. But, I admit it is a huge longshot.

But, if he were available, he is absolutely a guy that I would want Adams to move just about any piece of the future to acquire.
Personally, I put my money on Stamkos being gone. I'd be happy to go after him instead, but he doesn't fill that huge need we have at 3C so I'd hesitate. A good 3C will make or break your team and Tampa's brass knows it.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Personally, I put my money on Stamkos being gone. I'd be happy to go after him instead, but he doesn't fill that huge need we have at 3C so I'd hesitate. A good 3C will make or break your team and Tampa's brass knows it.
They have 7 players making $5M+ next year. Three of them lack trade protection today: Cirelli (NTC starts day 1 of the next league year), Cernak (NTC starts in 25-26), and Sergachev (NTC starts day 1 of the next league year).

They will be an interesting team to watch, for sure.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
So in looking at the player usage for Lindy in NJ. This is from his playoff series against Carolina last year:

#90 Tatar - #13 Hischier (C) - #63 Bratt​

#56 Haula - #86 Hughes (A) - #18 Palat (A)​

#96 Meier(?) /#70 Boqvist- #91 Mercer - #17 Sharangovich​

#44 Wood- #20 McLeod - #14 Bastian​

It's actually pretty similar analogue to our lineup, but better:​

Even deployment line: Hischer (Cozens)​

Top Offensive deployment line: Hughes (Thompson)​

Secondary Offensive deployment line Mercer (?????)​

Heavy Defensive deployent line McLeod (?????)​

One thing to do note is Haula's deployment and usage on Hughes line. Haula took most of the faceoffs as Hughes was terrible at them.​

I think one of our big shopping list items is a swiss army knife style winger like Haula who can play up and down the lineup and be effective.​

Look how much experience that roster has. Buffalo is years away from building anything close to that. Adams really has his work cut out for him.

We need a Huala, a Meirer, a Mcleod, aPalat, and a Tartar. We'll probably get one of those and the rest will be 20-yr old prospects who they expect Lindy to develop.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Cirelli is the player acquisition dream along the lines of the RBA hire as the head coach.

The only thing is that the Lightning do have a cap crunch. Especially if they want to re-sign Stamkos and he is unwilling to take a Bergeron-esque team friendly deal to do so. With Cirelli being one of the main big money, long term guys without any trade protection, I think there is a sliver of a chance. But, I admit it is a huge longshot.

But, if he were available, he is absolutely a guy that I would want Adams to move just about any piece of the future to acquire.

I think Stamkos is moving on. They didn't really treat him well this year, even though he captained them to two Stanley Cups and is one of their best all-time players. We're honestly more likely to get Stamkos. That would be a huge swing.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
I think Stamkos is moving on. They didn't really treat him well this year, even though he captained them to two Stanley Cups and is one of their best all-time players. We're honestly more likely to get Stamkos. That would be a huge swing.
I am prepared for a lot of Stamkos or PKane debates in the Sabrehood over the next few months.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'd rather get someone like Coleman than Stamkos (Kane).

I'm not saying I want Stamkos - but I'm sure Adams at least talks to his agent.

Kane showed he can play and with Ruff being back I could see him having more interest in coming back if he thinks the Sabres are definitely playoff bound next year.

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
I am prepared for a lot of Stamkos or PKane debates in the Sabrehood over the next few months.

Kane is at least realistic.

We'd have to pay Stamkos 12M for him to sign here. If not more.

He's either going to stay in Tampa or go to a low tax retirement venue like Nashville

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Kane is at least realistic.

We'd have to pay Stamkos 12M for him to sign here. If not more.

He's either going to stay in Tampa or go to a low tax retirement venue like Nashville
AFP is projecting a Stamkos deal as 3x$6.3M per. There is no way that it would take $12M to land Stamkos. Buffalo's effective tax rate is only 7% more than in Nashville per CapFriendly (Income Tax Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps).

So, if Nashville were offering $6.3M per, Buffalo might need to go up to $7.5M per to top it.

Reactions: Chainshot

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
AFP is projecting a Stamkos deal as 3x$6.3M per. There is no way that it would take $12M to land Stamkos. Buffalo's effective tax rate is only 7% more than in Nashville per CapFriendly (Income Tax Calculator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps).

So, if Nashville were offering $6.3M per, Buffalo might need to go up to $7.5M per to top it.

He’s averaged 90 pts a season the last 3 years. Hes captained two Stanley cups and 4 eastern conf championships He’s not over 35 so that guaranteed cap hit isn’t an issue. He’s gonna get paid. He’s a star and a name that will sell tickets.

6.3M x 3. That is absolutely silly.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He’s averaged 90 pts a season the last 3 years. Hes captained two Stanley cups and 4 eastern conf championships He’s not over 35 so that guaranteed cap hit isn’t an issue. He’s gonna get paid. He’s a star and a name that will sell tickets.

6.3M x 3. That is absolutely silly.
$12M AAV is silly, too.

Only McDavid and MacKinnon make $12M+. Stamkos at 34 1/2 is not getting a top 3 in the NHL AAV this summer.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
$12M AAV is silly, too.

Only McDavid and MacKinnon make $12M+. Stamkos at 34 1/2 is not getting a top 3 in the NHL AAV this summer.

He isn’t. I was just saying that is what we’d have to pay to get him. He will probably sign for 9-10M a year on a 3-4 year deal.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
He isn’t. I was just saying that is what we’d have to pay to get him. He will probably sign for 9-10M a year on a 3-4 year deal.
I doubt the Sabres would have to pay a 33% premium if he had any interest in coming here.

I think it's fairer to say that Stamkos likely has zero interest in signing here for a variety of reasons.

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
I doubt the Sabres would have to pay a 33% premium if he had any interest in coming here.

I think it's fairer to say that Stamkos likely has zero interest in signing here for a variety of reasons.
Stamkos seems like a Boston or Toronto destination. Sure these teams have cap issues there but they always seem to work around it.

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything

The Pegula ownership has a history of overshooting the market for players they want

The infamous Ville Leino contract to start. Ehrhoff as well.

In more recent history, they overpaid in dollars, term, and a full NMC to keep Skinner. They overpaid for Hall. And they overpaid Girgensons twice to keep him here, though on a much smaller scale.

Do I think that Stamkos has any interest in signing in Buffalo? No. For a lot of reasons as you mentioned. But, if he were to sign here, it'd likely be because we offered a top of market contract.

But....I'd rate the chances of Stamkos as less than 1%, so its probably not a discussion worth happening.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Pegula ownership has a history of overshooting the market for players they want

The infamous Ville Leino contract to start. Ehrhoff as well.

In more recent history, they overpaid in dollars, term, and a full NMC to keep Skinner. They overpaid for Hall. And they overpaid Girgensons twice to keep him here, though on a much smaller scale.

Do I think that Stamkos has any interest in signing in Buffalo? No. For a lot of reasons as you mentioned. But, if he were to sign here, it'd likely be because we offered a top of market contract.

But....I'd rate the chances of Stamkos as less than 1%, so its probably not a discussion worth happening.
Ehrhoff at $4M AAV was right in the sweet spot of excellent value. What people got bent on was that there was a front loaded bonus. Lebrun in particular but most of the TSN/SN folks going on about how "Ehrhoff is the highest paid player in the league HAHAHA" and then looking the other way when every other team does the same thing remains one of those Toronto sports mecca things where they will shit on anything and everything Buffalo.

Stamkos at his age is a high risk pursuit. They need people in the 27-30 range who can play roles instead of being frivolous by trying to go after someone like Stamkos.

Reactions: Zman5778

TehDoak

Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
Ehrhoff at $4M AAV was right in the sweet spot of excellent value. What people got bent on was that there was a front loaded bonus. Lebrun in particular but most of the TSN/SN folks going on about how "Ehrhoff is the highest paid player in the league HAHAHA" and then looking the other way when every other team does the same thing remains one of those Toronto sports mecca things where they will shit on anything and everything Buffalo.

Stamkos at his age is a high risk pursuit. They need people in the 27-30 range who can play roles instead of being frivolous by trying to go after someone like Stamkos.

I don't disagree on Stamkos. I simply was pointing out it'd be a crazy premium to get him here if we went that route.

If Lindholm goes to market though....

giphy.gif

Sabresbyswords104

Dec 7, 2019
Possible sabres lineup ?

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Johnson Wennberg Noesen
Girgensons Krebs Greenway

Dahlin Samuelsson
Byram Power
Jokiharju Clifton

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Possible sabres lineup ?

Peterka Thompson Tuch
Benson Cozens Quinn
Johnson Wennberg Noesen
Girgensons Krebs Greenway

Dahlin Samuelsson
Byram Power
Jokiharju Clifton
Joker and Clifton are both mega-awful on their off-hand. So I cannot picture them as a 3rd pair.

If Noesen signs here, he'd be as a 4th liner/13th forward.

And what Johnson are you talking about? There's only 100 of them in the NHL.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I just hope Lindy is able to get Adams/Pegula out of their comfort zone and willing to pay the acquisition cost of acquiring other players.

No Girgensons, Jost, Robinson please. And I would plan the depth to have Greenway slotted for the 4th line and all the rookies in Rochester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad