Speculation: The Roster Building Thread Pick a Peck of Preferred Players

Status
Not open for further replies.

enthusiast

cybersabre his prophet
Oct 20, 2009
Watching Chara gave me a bit more hope for Myers. I wouldn't place Chara in the top 30 most talented dmen in the game, but from that huge frame and spatial awareness he's able to make so many plays. If Myers can settle down and just play his own game he could be a really unique top-end dman.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
As for Ennis, yeah, having one small waterbug offensive player is fine. I like him on the wing in particular, in a complementary role: easier QoC and more O-zone starts. I think there is still more to bring out of his game, they need to stop moving him around and leave him be... on the wing.

Agree. The current version of the Sabres are slow. Ennis is one of the few players that can open things up with his skating. Like you said, they need to leave him at wing and let him develop in a role he can handle.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Watching Chara gave me a bit more hope for Myers. I wouldn't place Chara in the top 30 most talented dmen in the game, but from that huge frame and spatial awareness he's able to make so many plays. If Myers can settle down and just play his own game he could be a really unique top-end dman.

Agree. Chara isn't anything special skill wise. He's big, mean, long reach..over time developed great hockey sense and has a slap shot .. thats basically it..

Myers will get there (Not saying Chara level or same game but will develop into a respectable top pairing Dman atleast..

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
was that before Rolston BENCHED him or after when he looked like tissue paper?

Foligno was getting too much ice time with Ruff and started to play as if he was a finesse offensive top 6 forward. Thus the many ill fated dangles he attempted and the "lazy" play that was a criticism. He finally got back to the lunchpail guy playing a simple straightforward game under Rolston. That it took a benching, a change of position for a bit and a cut back in ice time doesn't change that fact. But it did take a bit for him to get there.

Last edited:

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
On Ennis:

I'm perfectly fine with him retaining the 2nd line center role. It's where he fits. He's a secondary scorer who can put up 50-60 pts a year.

The issue really exists if/when we get a top line center, Hodgson also fits into the 2nd line center mold.

However, assuming no changes to our center situation this summer:

Hodgson
Ennis
Girgensons/Larrsson down the middle is fine for a young rebuilding team.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
On Ennis:

I'm perfectly fine with him retaining the 2nd line center role. It's where he fits. He's a secondary scorer who can put up 50-60 pts a year.

The issue really exists if/when we get a top line center, Hodgson also fits into the 2nd line center mold.

However, assuming no changes to our center situation this summer:

Hodgson
Ennis
Girgensons/Larrsson down the middle is fine for a young rebuilding team.

I think it's a pretty safe bet that Grigorenko is a Sabre next year. Hearing Devine adamantly dispute the notion that last year was a waste for Grigs, as well as talking about how they thought he came along from January to April, I'd bet they believe Buffalo is the best place for him to develop.

With that in mind, there's just no way you can run out the trifecta of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigs as your top three centers and not expect a complete defensive abortion. Ennis can give you 50 pts from the LW2 spot. That's where I'd let him play, and that's where I think he belongs (along with on the PP1 unit).

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
I think it's a pretty safe bet that Grigorenko is a Sabre next year. Hearing Devine adamantly dispute the notion that last year was a waste for Grigs, as well as talking about how they thought he came along from January to April, I'd bet they believe Buffalo is the best place for him to develop.

With that in mind, there's just no way you can run out the trifecta of Hodgson-Ennis-Grigs as your top three centers and not expect a complete defensive abortion. Ennis can give you 50 pts from the LW2 spot. That's where I'd let him play, and that's where I think he belongs (along with on the PP1 unit).

Regardless of what they do in the draft, Regier needs to add a veteran center with defensive chops to the current stable of pivots.

I loved the Peverley idea you pitched. He could probably be had for a mid-round pick and is/was a quality two-way center.

Worst case scenario is that he sucks in the role he's asked to fill for a bad team and Buffalo is in the running for Ekblad.

I just wonder what you do with all of the centers if Grigorenko, Hodgson, Peverley, Porter and maybe one of Barkov/Lindholm/Monahan make the squad next year (not that breaking a center in on the wing is a bad thing).

Prospector74

Jul 5, 2011
Leonardtown, MD
Who winds up as LW1 when/if Vanek leaves? And with Ennis at LW2, are you planning for Leino to be LW3? Then where do Ott and Foligno go? To me Leino fits ideally at LW2 and is misused as a LW3. We need to play him where he should fit and see what happens. I was pleased with what we saw out of him this year and have not yet written him off. Not sure if either guy can cut it at LW1. Would you be comfortble w/Ennis as LW1 and Leino as LW2?

Leino cannot be moved so maybe they move Ennis or roll w/Ennis as LW1. Maybe we move Ott - value is high and he likely will not be around on the other end of the rebuild.

I like Ennis but see a logjam at LW for the team. One of them should be moved if we can swing a decent deal to balance the team or improve draft picks. I'd probably look at moving Ott unless he is willing to agree to a reasonable contract extension this summer.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
Who winds up as LW1 when/if Vanek leaves? And with Ennis at LW2, are you planning for Leino to be LW3? Then where do Ott and Foligno go? To me Leino fits ideally at LW2 and is misused as a LW3. We need to play him where he should fit and see what happens. I was pleased with what we saw out of him this year and have not yet written him off. Not sure if either guy can cut it at LW1. Would you be comfortble w/Ennis as LW1 and Leino as LW2?

Leino cannot be moved so maybe they move Ennis or roll w/Ennis as LW1. Maybe we move Ott - value is high and he likely will not be around on the other end of the rebuild.

I like Ennis but see a logjam at LW for the team. One of them should be moved if we can swing a decent deal to balance the team or improve draft picks. I'd probably look at moving Ott unless he is willing to agree to a reasonable contract extension this summer.

If Vanek is retained, I think they should give consideration to playing him on RW. The top-9 RWs could then be some combo of Vanek, Stafford, Armia/Flynn, with Tropp starting the season in the minors to test his bum knee. On LW, you could then have some combo of Ennis, Ott, Leino, and Foligno--by the way, we don't know for sure that the Foligno-at-center experiment is over.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Interesting proposal.

Gotta think that there will be more than one opportunity out there to improve the depth in the organization by taking advantage of teams who need to get under the salary cap.

PS Heatley would need to waive his NMC

If they said he'd get a giant pile of cash and freedom to sign somewhere else at the end of it, I imagine he takes it.

That said, I'm still for squeezing Clutterbuck out of Minny. He's due a raise and would allow Buffalo another energetic physical player for the fans to watch while the team loses.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ

Interesting proposal.

Gotta think that there will be several opportunities out there to improve the depth in the organization by taking advantage of teams who need to get under the salary cap.

PS Heatley would need to waive his NMC

Heatley is reportedly still recovering from shoulder surgery and likely wouldn't be included in any trade until he's cleared by the medical staff of the team taking on his contract.

clumping platelets

Miller + Gerbe for Heatley, Clutterbuck, and Dumba

I'd even do Miller at 50% to make it happen

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I don't see why it would matter if we were just going to buy him out.

Right, you are taking Heatley to make the trade because Wild have cap issues. Heatley would be negative trade value (cap hit, injury) in the deal.

However, there would be more "suffering" for the Sabres. They wouldn't be able to buy him out if he is not medically cleared. So the team would eat his entire salary for the year and have him on the team (or waive him).
Maybe trade him at the deadline? Would anyone want him if he started playing better during the season?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Didn't NYR buy out Drury when he was injured? Even so, couldn't we just let him sit on our books?

If we traded for him we would most likely have to keep him.
Rehabs 4-6 months, then,
1. makes your roster
2. waive him, someone claims him?
3. waive him, send him to AHL (I'm sure he wouldn't waive his NMC if he knew this was and option)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
If they said he'd get a giant pile of cash and freedom to sign somewhere else at the end of it, I imagine he takes it.

That said, I'm still for squeezing Clutterbuck out of Minny. He's due a raise and would allow Buffalo another energetic physical player for the fans to watch while the team loses.

Not a bad idea... could be a step towards going in a different direction with Patrick Kaleta

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Miller + Gerbe for Heatley, Clutterbuck, and Dumba

I'd even do Miller at 50% to make it happen

So let me get this straight. Minnesota is going to trade its best non-roster defensive prospect in order to get rid of Heatley's salary and acquire Miller? Why not just pluck one of the other million available goaltenders or re-sign Backstrom at a lower rate and keep Dumba? Minnesota can buy out Gilbert, too, now that he fulfilled his role of helping to recruit Parise to the Wild.

Unless that + you're referring to is Grigorenko/Armia, that trade isn't going to happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad