The role of an assistant coach

BLBarmada

Hello all, this winter me and nhlboyz are going to be assistant coaches for a Peewee hockey team, A or B were not sure yet.

We've never done this before so my question is what does this involve, is it just helping out or is there more to it ?

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Help out with the coach. Do some separate drills with players at practice. For example my assistant coach last year practiced with the goalies in positioning. 2 other things that you can always do is make plays in a notebook and bring extra pucks to practice lol. Oh! Another you can do is what my assistant coach did last year too is bring packs of gum and chocolate bars to give to players after a win. He worked for Cadary so it was free for him lol.

BLBarmada

Help out with the coach. Do some separate drills with players at practice. For example my assistant coach last year practiced with the goalies in positioning. 2 other things that you can always do is make plays in a notebook and bring extra pucks to practice lol. Oh! Another you can do is what my assistant coach did
last year too is bring packs of gum and chocolate bars to give to players after a win. He worked for Cadary so it was free for him lol.

Lmao chocolate and gum, worst things for hockey, I was thinking about bringing practice drills working with goalies etc. Not sure what else tho, were going to be very very good though.

shello

Mar 5, 2011
MTL/NYC
Lmao chocolate and gum, worst things for hockey, I was thinking about bringing practice drills working with goalies etc. Not sure what else tho, were going to be very very good though.

One guy on my team saved the gum and used it for a mouth guard in games. Not the same piece for each game lol.

Rebels21

Jul 6, 2011
Garrison, New York
ummm. well for us the head coach does drills with the forwards while one of the assistants does defense. they usually help kids with individual skills while the coach runs plays.

GodsARangerFan

Jun 15, 2010
ummm. well for us the head coach does drills with the forwards while one of the assistants does defense. they usually help kids with individual skills while the coach runs plays.

Yea I guess that's what they do at Mickey mouse programs like yours, my friend who plays at Michigan. U know that D1 school says the assistant coach is drunk half the time and is their just to judge the ice girls. Now if you wanna hear about a real program look into Cornell. I hear their just about perfect at everything.

Malreg

May 12, 2011
In minor hockey, how involved the assistants are all depends on the head coach.

Sometimes they are just there to open the door and help run drills (place the cones, pucks, etc), and other times they can be very involved.

It's good to have one assistant who is dedicated to working with the goalies every practice. At younger levels, the goalies often do not have very much to do in practice, especially at the beginning where most of the skating drills take place.

Talk to the head coach and figure out how he wants to run things and if he wants you to do anything specific.

Phil Connors*

Get drunk on team trips.
Just kidding...kinda.

Like already said, depends on what your head coach wants. Working with goalies and taking time to address certain players about drills, positioning, etc. At peewee working with the kids on their fundamentals is probably the most important.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad