The Rock, et al, buys bankrupt XFL for $15m

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Having his nam attached should give it some attention when they relaunch. Curious is they will restart in 2021 or wait until the pandemic is done

Still 15 million for essentially the rights of 8 teams...his group paid a 'Rock Bottom' price for this

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Having his nam attached should give it some attention when they relaunch. Curious is they will restart in 2021 or wait until the pandemic is done

Still 15 million for essentially the rights of 8 teams...his group paid a 'Rock Bottom' price for this
They took Vince to Smack Down hotel.

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Are they actually restarting this? I'd think multiple failed launches would be enough to end any delusions that it will ever work.

I don't know if they'll restart. Maybe they'll just use the assets for retro merchandise like people do with Blockbuster T-shirts because nostalgia, good or bad, sells.

The thing about the XFL 2020 season was that, unlike the 2001 season, which saw them spend 11 months bragging about how they're a badass brand of football compared to that namby-pamby NFL sissy brand of football and then realized around November, "Oh s***! We actually have to sign players... and TRAIN THEM?!", they did pretty much everything right. They had players spend months practicing, and had a team of reserves to tackle the inevitable issue of loss due to injuries, which the NFL doesn't really have. If 2001 XFL was Fyre Festival, 2020 XFL was meant to be more like a Bonnaroo (if my tortured analogies mean anything).

However, spring football just can't maintain viability, or at the very least, survive long enough in risk-averse society. Investors aren't interested in putting money down on something in the hopes they may make money 3-5 years in the future. They want that money NOW! And, as both the XFL and AAF have proven, there are markets in America that, if you give them a football team (or another football team), they will support them. Orlando, San Antonio, St. Louis, San Diego, and Seattle have been the highlights of both leagues the past two years. Unfortunately, despite the XFL having the much better TV deal, ratings just kept dropping to around MLS levels, and the two largest media markets they had, Los Angeles and New York City, were also the two markets with the least interest in the XFL, so while there is proof to people that you can try, try again, there's also evidence that until you actually succeed, you're just going to keep failing. Hell, the Arena Football League died this year. Again.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Wonder how much the XFL brand is really worth. Seems unlikely there’s anything else of value in the purchase? Might be cheaper to just start a differently branded league.

Reactions: DaveG

GindyDraws

I will not disable my Adblock, HF
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis
Announced today that the XFL will return in Spring 2022.

More than likely there will be a few changes (the teams in New York and LA are gone, for sure), but I can see this potentially having more success when you don't have a cantankerous old man who loses interest every few seconds.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
I hope the XFL becomes the spring football equivalent of the NFL in terms of popularity, which would entail playing to crowds as big as those in the NFL and college, and placing more teams in non-NFL cities, with a market size requirement. Many of these non-NFL cities would build new stadiums to attract new XFL teams. Like if Sacramento wanted a team, they would need to build a new stadium because no facility in the area is acceptable for even temporary use. There are several markets that fielded teams in the WFL, USFL, original XFL and AAF but currently don't have an NFL or new XFL team.

One city I could see supporting an XFL team is Columbus, Ohio. The cities in the state up and down Interstate 71 have control over the state in terms of NFL. They could use Ohio Stadium, but I feel it would be a temporary home, so that a stadium built to NFL standards (which would also become XFL standards) could house the team on a more permanent basis. Also, Ohio State has a lot of popularity in the city (and state).

This goes with my view that football should be a year-round sport, but the best action is played when it is cold outside (which is reflected in my desire for Southern CFB powers to play more late November OOC games against Northern CFB powers, and for more Super Bowls and CFP title games to be awarded to outdoor stadiums in cold-weather cities).

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
I hope the XFL becomes the spring football equivalent of the NFL in terms of popularity, which would entail playing to crowds as big as those in the NFL and college, and placing more teams in non-NFL cities, with a market size requirement. Many of these non-NFL cities would build new stadiums to attract new XFL teams. Like if Sacramento wanted a team, they would need to build a new stadium because no facility in the area is acceptable for even temporary use. There are several markets that fielded teams in the WFL, USFL, original XFL and AAF but currently don't have an NFL or new XFL team.

One city I could see supporting an XFL team is Columbus, Ohio. The cities in the state up and down Interstate 71 have control over the state in terms of NFL. They could use Ohio Stadium, but I feel it would be a temporary home, so that a stadium built to NFL standards (which would also become XFL standards) could house the team on a more permanent basis. Also, Ohio State has a lot of popularity in the city (and state).

This goes with my view that football should be a year-round sport, but the best action is played when it is cold outside (which is reflected in my desire for Southern CFB powers to play more late November OOC games against Northern CFB powers, and for more Super Bowls and CFP title games to be awarded to outdoor stadiums in cold-weather cities).

Netflix 10 part Docu-series on Dwayne coaching his team and teaching those young men how to overcome adversity at home as well as on the field.
Make sure there is a couple army/navy guys on the team and you have the most god darn American tv show available.

Last edited:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Are they actually restarting this? I'd think multiple failed launches would be enough to end any delusions that it will ever work.

I mean, anything he puts his name on or behind seems to do well. He rejuvenated the Fast & Furious franchise and is a big reason why they started making billions at the box office - whether you think the movies suck or not, they make big $$$$.

I think for him its part of his long time dream of being a football player and a way to empower himself by co-owning a sports league.

Reactions: DaveG and LeHab

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
'Let's go get the XFL': Meet Dany Garcia, the league's prospective Latina owner

The Rock's business partner has been leveraging their deals behind the scenes for years.

Hmmmmm
Not that mysterious. She's his manager. And his ex-wife. Clearly is wasn't a contentious divorce. Actually, they parted amicably because they realize they got married too young and work better as just friends than spouses. She's always been the brains of the operation when it comes to his successful career, so I'm sure there's some actual competence here.

qwerty

Feb 4, 2007
Calgary
Weren’t XFL ratings dropping at a similar rate as the AAF? Just seems like Americans have a certain standard for football and when the quality of play or pageantry isn’t there, they tune out. Tom Dundon tried to save the AAF, it didn’t work. I wonder if the XFL suffers the same fate?

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Wonder how much the XFL brand is really worth. Seems unlikely there’s anything else of value in the purchase? Might be cheaper to just start a differently branded league.
The rock can make it worth something, how much would the brand be worth if he did a football movie with the branding?

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
Not that mysterious. She's his manager. And his ex-wife. Clearly is wasn't a contentious divorce. Actually, they parted amicably because they realize they got married too young and work better as just friends than spouses. She's always been the brains of the operation when it comes to his successful career, so I'm sure there's some actual competence here.
Pretty much a known thing that he was never "in" to the marriage. Rumours of cheating go back to day 1.

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Pretty much a known thing that he was never "in" to the marriage. Rumours of cheating go back to day 1.
Indeed. Cheating among pro wrestlers is endemic. True for both the men and women. Rare are the ones who don't. Not a career to go into if you want a stable marriage.

Reactions: HugoSimon

oknazevad

Dec 12, 2018
Weren’t XFL ratings dropping at a similar rate as the AAF? Just seems like Americans have a certain standard for football and when the quality of play or pageantry isn’t there, they tune out. Tom Dundon tried to save the AAF, it didn’t work. I wonder if the XFL suffers the same fate?
They weren't dropping off quite as badly, though they weren't lighting anything on fire either.

Frankly, I think the issue is just that spring football does not work. Every single attempt at it has failed. Because football is synonymous with the fall.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
The rock can make it worth something, how much would the brand be worth if he did a football movie with the branding?

Sure. My question was more about would it be better to start a new football brand for free vs paying $15m to resurrect the XFL brand.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad