The Rise of Brandon Davidson

McDeathbyCheerios*

Guy is the definition of what that trophy represents.

I wish more guys on our team could look at what he went thru to be here and realize how honored they should be playing in the league.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I wrote a little piece on Brandon Davidson. Both his play and his demeanor have really impressed me this year.

http://alongtheboards.com/2016/02/rise-brandon-davidson/

Give it a read, feedback's always welcome.

As usual, great job CO.

I'd never really thought about Davidson for the Masterton. Davidson is the kind of guy that award was created for.

Signing him to a 3 or 4 year deal at a reasonable aav is a very good suggestion as well. Not sure if I'd go all the way up to 1.8M on a 4 year deal, but you aren't far off the mark with that as the top end of term and aav. A little give on either term or aav and his agent should be able to strike a deal relatively quickly.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
As usual, great job CO.

I'd never really thought about Davidson for the Masterton. Davidson is the kind of guy that award was created for.

Signing him to a 3 or 4 year deal at a reasonable aav is a very good suggestion as well. Not sure if I'd go all the way up to 1.8M on a 4 year deal, but you aren't far off the mark with that as the top end of term and aav. A little give on either term or aav and his agent should be able to strike a deal relatively quickly.

Thanks, greatly appreciated. I've had the Davidson for the Masterton idea in the back of my head for awhile.

DerpMorg

10 Year Tire Fire
Feb 1, 2012
Ft. McMurray
Noticed the double i in Davidson in the second paragraph, but other than that, looks really good. Great read.

Edit: Also, I just noticed Mr. Clownshoes wearing the Habs hat to an Oilers-Avs game.

Last edited:

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Great read. I never thought Davidson would be more than just a good callup. Glad to see him succeeding thus far.

Jet Walters

May 15, 2013
He's been consistently good for quite a while now. I see him as a 3rd pairing anchor who can play big minutes on the PK and jump up into the top 4 when needed. There is no reason to believe this kid won't keep getting better either. When you look at his career progression he has adjusted and excelled at every step up he has taken. Lock him up before he goes full McDavidson.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
He's been consistently good for quite a while now. I see him as a 3rd pairing anchor who can play big minutes on the PK and jump up into the top 4 when needed. There is no reason to believe this kid won't keep getting better either. When you look at his career progression he has adjusted and excelled at every step up he has taken. Lock him up before he goes full McDavidson.

I think he's a really solid #5 defenceman that can fill in the top 4 when needed. Lock this kid up.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Agreed he is just eating minutes and doing his thing. He has probably addressed the teams need for another Dman this summer.
We still need 2 top 4 d.
We have Klefbom and Sekera.

Nurse has shown he isn't ready for top 4 minutes and Davidson eats minutes in the mould of a shutdown #5 that can easily fill in the top 4 but mostly used for the pk.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
We still need 2 top 4 d.
We have Klefbom and Sekera.

Nurse has shown he isn't ready for top 4 minutes and Davidson eats minutes in the mould of a shutdown #5 that can easily fill in the top 4 but mostly used for the pk.
I agree, just saying we don't need another Dman on top of the need for a top pairing guy. Disagree about Nurse, the guy is definitely being over played and the pairings have been in constant flux with all of the changing bodies…not to mention Jultz and Fayne forgot how to play hockey this year. But I think bring in a guy like Hamonic or Shattenkirk and that top 4 will be solid next year.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Over half of hfoil dumped on him only just last summer. I am happy Davidson has been a big positive on defence for the Oilers this season. He's the real deal becoming a legit #4-#5 defenceman with his tools.

It's very early but a lot of positives so far with his presence in the lineup.

McDeathbyCheerios*

I agree, just saying we don't need another Dman on top of the need for a top pairing guy. Disagree about Nurse, the guy is definitely being over played and the pairings have been in constant flux with all of the changing bodies…not to mention Jultz and Fayne forgot how to play hockey this year. But I think bring in a guy like Hamonic or Shattenkirk and that top 4 will be solid next year.
Playing on the top 4 for nurse is overplayed. Ideally if we have Nurse up next year we have
Sekera - Blank
Klefbom - Blank
Nurse - Davidson

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Over half of hfoil dumped on him only just last summer. I am happy Davidson has been a big positive on defence for the Oilers this season. He's the real deal becoming a legit #4-#5 defenceman with his tools.

It's very early but a lot of positives so far with his presence in the lineup.
I wouldn't say dumped on him but many were surprised for sure.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Playing on the top 4 for nurse is overplayed. Ideally if we have Nurse up next year we have
Sekera - Blank
Klefbom - Blank
Nurse - Davidson
Nurse with a steady partner will settle into a top 4 role but if we can land some good top 4 guys then I don't mind your idea either. Sometimes playing less doesn't help some guys, Nurse strikes me that type of guy. Nurse (as well as the rest of the D) just needs good partners to pair up with.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Nurse with a steady partner will settle into a top 4 role but if we can land some good top 4 guys then I don't mind your idea either. Sometimes playing less doesn't help some guys, Nurse strikes me that type of guy. Nurse (as well as the rest of the D) just needs good partners to pair up with.
Nurse needs to prove that though. Rather get guys to push him down and if he gets better then sweet. Cant bank on youth improvements especially when sophmore slumps are common.

McTedi

Jul 16, 2008
Edmonton
Nurse needs to prove that though. Rather get guys to push him down and if he gets better then sweet. Cant bank on youth improvements especially when sophmore slumps are common.
The position is such a steep learning curve at the NHL level and with Nurse's skill set it would be an absolute travesty to lose what may be a franchise type Dman. And again if you can find better guys short term and limit his minutes then I have no problem with that but you absolutely do not trade him.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Thanks. That was a good read.

It's nice when you can find bloggers out there which don't spend 100% of their time rehashing what mainstream media has already beaten to death.

Davidson for the Masterton would be nice.
He's clearly deserving, but I'd expect the NHL to give it to a bigger name player although I can't think of one deserving of it on the spot.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I think he's been averaging around 23 minutes a game the past 15-20 games. Guy is an animal.

The offence isn't quite there but defensively he is the best we have by a large margin. He looks very calm, but not slow like Sekera. Sekera looks calm as well but takes forever to do anything. The little plays Davidson makes in our end to evade forecheckers is special.

I've also noticed him rushing the puck up more often. Think he got the go-ahead from the coaching staff to let loose a bit.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Good player. I remember how everyone dumped on him after his 1st game this season and couldn't figure out why McLellan would give him another game. Good times.

Real happy for this kid, hope he can continue his play beyond this season and really settle in as a legit #5 guy that can step into the top4 when necessary. This is the kind of guy Cup teams need; quiet, cheap and simple defensemen that can take on bigger minutes when it's needed.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Good player. I remember how everyone dumped on him after his 1st game this season and couldn't figure out why McLellan would give him another game. Good times.

Real happy for this kid, hope he can continue his play beyond this season and really settle in as a legit #5 guy that can step into the top4 when necessary. This is the kind of guy Cup teams need; quiet, cheap and simple defensemen that can take on bigger minutes when it's needed.

Most of the team stank at the start of the year.
Tons of new players.
New coach.
New system.
It's expected.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Thanks. That was a good read.

It's nice when you can find bloggers out there which don't spend 100% of their time rehashing what mainstream media has already beaten to death.

Davidson for the Masterton would be nice.
He's clearly deserving, but I'd expect the NHL to give it to a bigger name player although I can't think of one deserving of it on the spot.

That's part of the reason I don't write as often as I'd like to. Takes me some time to think of worthwhile topics that the other guys haven't beaten into the ground yet.

There are guys like Willis that do this for a living so they can slam out three pieces a day if they need to.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Still hoping the Oilers extend him longterm 2M x 6yrs+ so I can get his jersey. Very likeable player

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
We should have a surprise player like this every year with the amount of draft picks we have had since 2010.

Good for Davey for working hard.

Shame on the Oilers for not being able to draft!

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I still think he has #4 upside. Regardless, even if he ends up as a career #6 thats a major win for what hes been through

Raise your hand if you thought Davidson was a legit prospect back in 2012. I didnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad