Confirmed with Link: The Return of Dylan Sikura

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
I think the proper development thing is greatly overrated. These are still adult pros.

Hjalmarsson does nothing but learn bad habits if he stays longer. Saad and Shaw were wasting their time. What did it get Sikura at the end of the day, or how about a guy like Pirri or Stanton?

There is a balance, but it has to be applied player to player. I disagree with the idea that more AHL time is better as a rule. It's a different league.

Additionally, you can't play to win like Chicago and play to develop. At some point you have to pick, flip flopping doesn't help and it's frustrating for players. I would rather keep the stripmine approach, it lets every UDFA and drafted overseas player know there's a path to the big team and big contract open. I think there's greater risk overall by slamming the door or taking a "slow" approach as a rule.

Well for starters, the Blackhawks put very little resources into actually making Rockford a functional development program. I'm very sure I read somewhere that Bowman didn't regard the AHL as a useful league and that's reflected in how poorly Rockford has done in both developing players for the Hawks and being successful as a team in the league.

Meanwhile, you look at a team like Tampa with how well Syracuse has done through the years and it's easy to see how they keep a steady flow of middle-six talent flowing into their NHL team.

Not every player needs to spend 2-3 years in the AHL. Some players don't need to spend any time there... but if they are there, you want them to be insulated well and surrounded with players and coaches that are going to help them get the most out of their time there. For far too long, Rockford's simply been a place to toil while not being on the Blackhawks. It's time for Rockford to be a place players can go to actually get better.

TheFridge

Mar 20, 2022
What makes you think that?

He just had a monster AHL season and likely wanted to sign somewhere with a realistic chance at getting NHL games for a final kick at the can at an NHL job. Looking at his contract details as well, he's going to be earning 500k in the AHL. His deal is only for 750k. It simply makes financial sense to play him in the NHL if you're paying him that much to be in Rockford.

None of this is to say that I think Sikura won't be in the AHL at all. I just think he'll probably play somewhere between 30-50 games for the Hawks.

giza

Jul 19, 2011
Wolves will get more of a challenge with these forward plugs ......don't want to see any of them in the Hawks line up, though.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Seems like a Reichel replacement for Rockford more than anything...but could also see this team in the dog days of March after the TDL icing Clendening and Sikura in the stretch tank run to match with elite commanders in Arizona

Reactions: d rake

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I meant Blackhawk player. See "Signing Sikura" promo video.
So many times people here freaked out over the Hayes possibility so there was a lot of excess hype from fans and even the team press I think because of that. Anytime someone becomes a Junior there is a panik and over the top reaction. I'm surprised nobody has panicked of Commesso so far, but maybe because it makes no sense for him to turn down a wide open opportune spot next summer.

Idionym

Apr 6, 2015
Chicago
So many times people here freaked out over the Hayes possibility so there was a lot of excess hype from fans and even the team press I think because of that. Anytime someone becomes a Junior there is a panik and over the top reaction. I'm surprised nobody has panicked of Commesso so far, but maybe because it makes no sense for him to turn down a wide open opportune spot next summer.
1657833132915.png

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Well for starters, the Blackhawks put very little resources into actually making Rockford a functional development program. I'm very sure I read somewhere that Bowman didn't regard the AHL as a useful league and that's reflected in how poorly Rockford has done in both developing players for the Hawks and being successful as a team in the league.

Meanwhile, you look at a team like Tampa with how well Syracuse has done through the years and it's easy to see how they keep a steady flow of middle-six talent flowing into their NHL team.

Not every player needs to spend 2-3 years in the AHL. Some players don't need to spend any time there... but if they are there, you want them to be insulated well and surrounded with players and coaches that are going to help them get the most out of their time there. For far too long, Rockford's simply been a place to toil while not being on the Blackhawks. It's time for Rockford to be a place players can go to actually get better.
I'm just not seeing a coherent plan in TB either. Maybe Colton counts, Gourde would be a good example, but the Katchouk, Erne, TJ Brown, Foote types are depth guys who received alot of their minutes just because of the cap issues like we saw so often in Chicago. Vas didn't play in Syracuse much, Cirelli, Paquette, Cernak, etc. Guys like Joseph were stuck because the team was loaded. For as many guys that may have stayed a while, they sure raced plenty up too. I don't see an organizational approach.

Anyway, I get what you're saying, I just think it looks better on paper than it does in real life. Most of the development work was done outside of the AHL imo, and often outside of the organization.

I just don't see teams developing middle 6/top 4 types and better because of the AHL. The 5-11 dmen and 11-17 fwd, yes, mostly because of cap reasons.

If you don't have 4 of 6 top 6 fwds and 3 of 4 top 4 dmen, I don't think it matters what you have in a system, nobody slots correctly.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think the proper development thing is greatly overrated. These are still adult pros.

Hjalmarsson does nothing but learn bad habits if he stays longer. Saad and Shaw were wasting their time. What did it get Sikura at the end of the day, or how about a guy like Pirri or Stanton?

There is a balance, but it has to be applied player to player. I disagree with the idea that more AHL time is better as a rule. It's a different league.

Additionally, you can't play to win like Chicago and play to develop. At some point you have to pick, flip flopping doesn't help and it's frustrating for players. I would rather keep the stripmine approach, it lets every UDFA and drafted overseas player know there's a path to the big team and big contract open. I think there's greater risk overall by slamming the door or taking a "slow" approach as a rule.
huh?

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
To clarify, building a top to bottom system using the AHL to actually develop players is more often than not, pointless. Stay flexible, focus on drafting more than developing, and spend more time with players before they sign a contract. While it sounds nice, I don't want a baseball-like farm, the AHL is good for ice size acclimation, playing against size, and adjusting to N America. The rest of the benefits are overblown. Players can bulk up and finish growing anywhere.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
In a shockibgvdevekipmentvat Hawks main camp,LR has the urea to put together a libevof Sakura Domi and Kane with Domi plays laying C...

This time Sikura explodes for 35 goals and 30 assists...Domi score 40 goals and 45 assists and Kanexscore 36 goals and 70 assists ....tge line clicks and theycactualkybpost +/- of +15or better. Each !

This of course ruins the Tank and Kane no longer wants out atTDL because Hawksx n s pkayoff spot.

Helping matters Mrazek stays healthy and postsca .920 save%...

Toews "rebounds s" from his lethargy and retains full health all season and brings an impressive 32g 41 a sesson...and is +15'...

Reichel and Raddysh are his wibgersxand re-motivatedxand in shaoexTiewsmentors the yung guns to eachcscrong 22-25 goals..

Line 3 also clicks to a degree...Aa T.Johnson and Kurashev all score 18-20goals each also are +12 to+15 each...

LR and his zone defense works much better and S Jones miraculously S Jones actuallly playscto +2!!!!

Andctgexebture d-coros are alk in pisyive plus/minusxstats.

AND to think Sikuraxiscoartcofcthis big surprise...

Hey. Why not fantasize...itvis sumner.

Of course this kills Davidson's tank strategy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad