Post-Game Talk: The result that we deserved

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Even when Anaheim scored that weak goal to go up 4-3 we had some grade A scoring chances after that but Gibson stoned us. This could have been a win for us even though we played poorly.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Let me preface this by saying Connor is obviously an amazing player and one of the main reasons we are where we are but damn, that was some Hall-level irresponsible play, cheating for offence, being on the wrong side of the puck and fly bys by the captain last night. He was a big factor in 2 Anaheim goals scored last night. the 2nd goal where he for whatever reason chose to fly by the point shot. 5th goal where he gave up on Theodore on the backcheck and later was on the wrong side of the puck when manson had the puck. can't have your captain do those things. he got away with a few other cheating type plays too. Rishaug on 1260 basically said as much this morning. you'll see mcdavid doing these type things here and there in the regular season but he seemed to mostly stopped doing it in the playoffs but last night he was in a bit of cheat mode. he has also had a couple lazy plays on the pp when the puck was cleared into our zone that led to magnificent short handed chances by the penalty killers (ie. it happened in game 2 Anaheim). I know he's young and is basically our MVP along with Talbot but as a player with that much influence on the team you must be better than that and lead by proper example. Hall did not and it pissed me off. I think Mcdavid will learn though. I know it's not popular to criticize McJesus but he's got to sharpen up!

Biltmore

Next Year...
Oct 22, 2015
Let me preface this by saying Connor is obviously an amazing player and one of the main reasons we are where we are but damn, that was some Hall-level irresponsible play, cheating for offence, being on the wrong side of the puck and fly bys by the captain last night. He was a big factor in 2 Anaheim goals scored last night. the 2nd goal where he for whatever reason chose to fly by the point shot. 5th goal where he gave up on Theodore on the backcheck and later was on the wrong side of the puck when manson had the puck. can't have your captain do those things. he got away with a few other cheating type plays too. Rishaug on 1260 basically said as much this morning. you'll see mcdavid doing these type things here and there in the regular season but he seemed to mostly stopped doing it in the playoffs but last night he was in a bit of cheat mode. he has also had a couple lazy plays on the pp when the puck was cleared into our zone that led to magnificent short handed chances by the penalty killers (ie. it happened in game 2 Anaheim). I know he's young and is basically our MVP along with Talbot but as a player with that much influence on the team you must be better than that and lead by proper example. Hall did not and it pissed me off. I think Mcdavid will learn though. I know it's not popular to criticize McJesus but he's got to sharpen up!

Yeah I thought he was misreading his angles and ended up on the wrong side defensively numerous times. Needs to sharpen up there.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

When your down the whole game you have to cheat for offense. We werent sharp enough early, down 3 goals on 6 shots.

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards
I love how angry some folks are at Lucic for returning the favour to Lindholm last game. I guess it's okay to use a rear naked choke when Maroon is vulnerable but when Lucic does it he should be suspended for life.

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
When your down the whole game you have to cheat for offense. We werent sharp enough early, down 3 goals on 6 shots.

It's not the time to cheat when only down 1-0 and 4-3. gotta be better. smarter. more responsible. if your captain not playing responsible it can really spread through the whole team.

Oilersfan93

Jun 22, 2016
as stated by most of you, i thought nuge looked incredible last night. the way he split that d and went in on a 2 on 1 was incredible skill. however, eberle on the other hand is a dead weight. i think he is a weak link on this team. him and pouliot when replaced by slightly better 5 on 5 players could propel this team to stanley cup favourites. also, i am not too keen on nurse. last night that play was pure laziness. when he had the chance to skate it up ice he chose to rim it around the boards. if i was chiapete id trade him this summer for a top 4 dman rhd that can replace russell and find someone else to play the bottom 6 lhd role.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
Wasn't Talbot's best performance last night.
The goal that was scored by the ducks right after the oilers tied it up wasn't a good goal to let in. Still gotta love offside challenges though. NHL's excuse for it was they didn't have proper camera frame to see if puck was over blueline before Silfverberg foot's on coach challenge 5-3 goal. How on earth do you come up with that excuse when fans are able to see it easily on TV? For the NHL to implement this challenge crap, then where's the better technology that they can easily get in place for it? Simply incompetent by the NHL. I though that goal ended up deflating the Oilers.

There's still passengers on this team as well. I'm looking towards Eberle the most. For a guy who never played in the playoffs until now, why isn't he playing at a higher level now that he's finally in the playoffs? Puck died on his stick often last night and he was literally a ghost out there. Sure, he has been defensively better, but we're not giving him 6M ,so he can be defensively better and not score. Wake the hell up, Eberle.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
What a fun playoff this has been so far. The fact that the Oilers are even capable of a second period like that shows how much they've grown since the beginning of the year. It was unlikely they were gonna sweep the Ducks, but they still have home ice in the series, just win the next one and they have a great shot to move on to the final four. Unbelievable that they're even in the conversation right now.

Yeah, that second period is what has me still feeling pretty good. This team can outplay anyone in the league when everything is clicking.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Never expected us to sweep. Hoped we could and wished upon a star we could, but never expected it. We aren't that good, and Anaheim isn't that bad. It's so important to have a strong start, or at least tread water for the first bit, so you aren't chasing the game the whole way. We used up a lot of energy and intensity doing that last night, and then the Ducks had their turn. I look for a much better mentally prepared start on Wednesday. I'm sure the coaches will have the players focused on that.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
I love how angry some folks are at Lucic for returning the favour to Lindholm last game. I guess it's okay to use a rear naked choke when Maroon is vulnerable but when Lucic does it he should be suspended for life.

I missed it. What happened?

I was hoping for some cheap stuff at the end of the game, similar to what they did after game 1. Was disapointed. Taking a roughing penalty at the end of a game has zero ramifications, so take one.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Never expected us to sweep. Hoped we could and wished upon a star we could, but never expected it. We aren't that good, and Anaheim isn't that bad. It's so important to have a strong start, or at least tread water for the first bit, so you aren't chasing the game the whole way. We used up a lot of energy and intensity doing that last night, and then the Ducks had their turn. I look for a much better mentally prepared start on Wednesday. I'm sure the coaches will have the players focused on that.

Well yah... I mean if you want to get realistic we've really only had one dominant game in the playoffs.

That's like zero fun though.

Frank the Tank

The Godfather
Aug 15, 2005
Chicago, IL
I missed it. What happened?

I was hoping for some cheap stuff at the end of the game, similar to what they did after game 1. Was disapointed. Taking a roughing penalty at the end of a game has zero ramifications, so take one.

Lindholm took a swipe at McDavid so Lucic came in and manhandled him a bit, including pinning him against the glass with a one-handed choke. Somehow that crossed an imaginary line, despite Lindholm choking Maroon the previous game.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
Also someone needs to tell nurse to skate the puck out. Doesn't matter if someone is checking you. Blow them up or something.

The rate at which nurse ices the puck has reached 120 times per second. It's ridiculous.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
Still disappointed the refs and linesmen didn't have their heads in the game at the start when they missed the magic doors trick the Ducks pulled off.

Oil will just have to be better on Wednesday night.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Board battles, intensity, sacrifices win the cup. Eberle isn't that guy. They need to improve the RW position.

As for Talbot, he had a bad game. Unfortunately IF the Oilers lose, that 4th goal will be remembered more than game 2. Not saying it's right. Just the way we roll in a "What have you done for me lately" society.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Ebs getting roughed up by the panel on TSN today - deservedly so - but they have a totally one dimensional view of the game. Either you are a top 6 goal scorers or a 4th line knuckle dragger and it doesn't matter who you play with. Perry is on the ANA 3rd line....so what's with that brilliant TSN panel? The reason it's so hard to move Ebs around is not Ebs feelings - the problem is that our centers are midgets (almost literally in the case of DD). You just can't put Ebs with Letestu or DD against a big team like ANA. It's got nothing to do with "try" any more with Eberle. This is as good as he can play at this level (2nd round of playoffs against big top 5 team). Might as well be pissed off that he isn't 5 inches taller :laugh: Same with Nurse - this is serious pressure for a guy with only 115 regular season games and 9 playoff games experience.

This is the 2nd round and you are starting to see team and individual weaknesses exposed and where the edge of the envelope is for guys. Even McDavid's limitations as a guy with just 125 games of experience are being exposed. Some guys just are not good enough, some are not big or fast enough, and some are not experienced enough - but everyone is trying out there. All of this is invaluable info for the GM to improve the team this summer and we will likely deal Ebs this summer as we can't spend $6 million on a sub-elite winger.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Still disappointed the refs and linesmen didn't have their heads in the game at the start when they missed the magic doors trick the Ducks pulled off.

Oil will just have to be better on Wednesday night.

Pretty sure it's a legal play, so not sure how that's the refs fault.

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
Lindholm took a swipe at McDavid so Lucic came in and manhandled him a bit, including pinning him against the glass with a one-handed choke. Somehow that crossed an imaginary line, despite Lindholm choking Maroon the previous game.

Ah. Oh well. If they lose any games, they should be crossing imaginary lines. Theres no Lady Byng trophy for the playoffs. **** being a gracious loser. Be a sore loser. Make them sore if we are the loser. Just dont cross the actual line that results in suspension

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
I hate that Ebs constantly needs to be reminded and prodded to work harder, back check, play defence, play with more intensity, play with some physicality. The guy should know by now. This is Round 2 of the NH-effin-L playoffs. Something he's been dying for years to get to! Wake up!! I think it's just part of his DNA to not be intense and be physical. But the problem is when he's not pi$$ing a drop offensively he HAS to do those things and do them well and be a solid player otherwise he's nothing but a liability out there. A net negative for the team. It's such a shame because he has great hands and good potential to be a valuable offensive contributor. Nuge gets it. He's not pi$$ed a drop offensively either but has been playing very well and a positive contributor this playoffs.

Forgot About Drai

Dr Drai the Second
Jul 10, 2009
Edmonton

Are people actually mad about that? It was a non issue. No worse then whats Getz did to Sekera and not even close to when Lindholm was pulling out WWE moves on Maroon.

In fact I was hoping Looch would do something similar to Manson at the end of the game. That guy is a joke. Would gladly have taking a 2 minute roughing penalty at the end of that game.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site

On the first, I've never seen anyone actually call it that way though.

On the second, instead of screen capping, watch the play in action. Cog's didn't interfere with his ability to make the save. He was making a play at the puck with minor stick contact. Talbot wouldn't have made the save contact or not.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Ebs getting roughed up by the panel on TSN today - deservedly so - but they have a totally one dimensional view of the game. Either you are a top 6 goal scorers or a 4th line knuckle dragger and it doesn't matter who you play with. Perry is on the ANA 3rd line....so what's with that brilliant TSN panel? The reason it's so hard to move Ebs around is not Ebs feelings - the problem is that our centers are midgets (almost literally in the case of DD). You just can't put Ebs with Letestu or DD against a big team like ANA. It's got nothing to do with "try" any more with Eberle. This is as good as he can play at this level (2nd round of playoffs against big top 5 team). Might as well be pissed off that he isn't 5 inches taller :laugh: Same with Nurse - this is serious pressure for a guy with only 115 regular season games and 9 playoff games experience.

This is the 2nd round and you are starting to see team and individual weaknesses exposed and where the edge of the envelope is for guys. Even McDavid's limitations as a guy with just 125 games of experience are being exposed. Some guys just are not good enough, some are not big or fast enough, and some are not experienced enough - but everyone is trying out there. All of this is invaluable info for the GM to improve the team this summer and we will likely deal Ebs this summer as we can't spend $6 million on a sub-elite winger.

Good post. I would like to add that although Nurse didn't have his greatest game so far, he's relied upon (IMO), to provide the experience on that pairing. In the 2nd round of the playoffs against an incredibly experienced team like the Ducks, both him and Benning have been doing absolutely spectacular considering their age and experience level.

Or am I being to soft on him?

:sarcasm:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Good post. I would like to add that although Nurse didn't have his greatest game so far, he's relied upon (IMO), to provide the experience on that pairing. In the 2nd round of the playoffs against an incredibly experienced team like the Ducks, both him and Benning have been doing absolutely spectacular considering their age and experience level.

Or am I being to soft on him?

:sarcasm:

I think they need to be better for the team to succeed, but based on how little experience they have, I'm not overly disappointed with them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad