Post-Game Talk: The result that we deserved

TheRebuild

Bold as Boognish
Jun 12, 2014
Winter
Not in a sports community. Canadians hear the US anthem before a game at least 55 times a season. I definitely knew all the words by the second year I was watching hockey. Most people who grew up watching HNIC would know both anthems quite well, I'd wager.

It's a little tougher for the inverse to occur, since US teams only hear Oh Canada before a game 15 to 25 times a year, depending on division.

Now that it's a "thing" he'll probably do it for the next game as well. If it worked once, why bother trying something different? just keep doing that one thing that sort of worked one time over and over and over again, until it loses all substance.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The last 30 games of the seaosn is about as well as you will ever see Ebs play. Haven't done the numbers for the 2nd half but he was likely above 2.0 ESP/60 which is solid and reduced his ES GA/60 by a full goal which is massive. He was a damn solid player the 2nd half of the year and any talk of him not trying or being net negative is "yesterday's news". Sure you can (and I did) make the argument at the beginning of the year, but the guy fundamentally changed his game and became a reliable 2 way player this year. Now people (including tv talking heads) are b**tching that he doesn't put up 1 PPG and play the same level of defense. News flash folks - it's not possible - only the elite of the elite of the NHL can do that.

Eberle along with everyone else on the roster is busting a nut right now trying to win. This is not a perfect roster. Far from it. Some guys are too small (DD, Letestu, Ebs, Cags, Russell, Benning). Some guys are too slow (Ebs, Letestu, Gryba, Maroon, Lucic, Hendricks). Some are too inexperienced (McDavid, Drai, Nurse, Benning, Slepy, Cags). If you are part of two of those lists you will be exposed in the 2nd round of the playoffs against a top 5 team. "Try" makes no difference.

I think there is some rebuild mentality, where you see all these things that aren't perfect and the whole goal is to be close to perfection. Except, no team out there is perfect, and we are really typical even among contenders when it comes to having faults. All teams have players that aren't playing to their maximum as well, but they usually don't freak out about it, and the player usually rebounds at some point. Like for SJ, Boedker had a horrible season but they didn't make a thousand trade suggestions about him, and he eventually started contributing.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who hurt Eaves with the cross check? He may miss game 4.

Edit: He's actually in a walking boot. I remembered a collision though.

Last edited:

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Now that it's a "thing" he'll probably do it for the next game as well. If it worked once, why bother trying something different? just keep doing that one thing that sort of worked one time over and over and over again, until it loses all substance.

Won't happen again. They want to make people believe it was not staged and only a one time special moment thing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I hope not. It was a quirk and he turned a negative into a big positive. Keep it as a one off and go back to doing what you were doing before, it was great. If he keeps doing it now, it will look hokey and contrived, and lose its special place.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Who hurt Eaves with the cross check? He may miss game 4.

Edit: He's actually in a walking boot. I remembered a collision though.

To answer your question....Nurse, Lucic, Maroon, Drai, Russell, Sekera, Larsson, ....but not enough to put him out.

I believe the foot issue is from blocking a shot, as most of those injuries tend to be.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The last 30 games of the seaosn is about as well as you will ever see Ebs play. Haven't done the numbers for the 2nd half but he was likely above 2.0 ESP/60 which is solid and reduced his ES GA/60 by a full goal which is massive. He was a damn solid player the 2nd half of the year and any talk of him not trying or being net negative is "yesterday's news". Sure you can (and I did) make the argument at the beginning of the year, but the guy fundamentally changed his game and became a reliable 2 way player this year. Now people (including tv talking heads) are b**tching that he doesn't put up 1 PPG and play the same level of defense. News flash folks - it's not possible - only the elite of the elite of the NHL can do that.

Eberle along with everyone else on the roster is busting a nut right now trying to win. This is not a perfect roster. Far from it. Some guys are too small (DD, Letestu, Ebs, Cags, Russell, Benning). Some guys are too slow (Ebs, Letestu, Gryba, Maroon, Lucic, Hendricks). Some are too inexperienced (McDavid, Drai, Nurse, Benning, Slepy, Cags). If you are part of two of those lists you will be exposed in the 2nd round of the playoffs against a top 5 team. "Try" makes no difference.

I understand and agree with your point that he is a much more well rounded player, but doesn't that enormous salary he makes kind of put him into somewhat Elite status? Seems to me, that when you're paid like that, there should be some expectation of scoring that comes with it. I get that guys have have a bad round, with lousy luck, etc. But this is halfway through the 2nd round, and not even a sniff. And if he proves that he's a solid 20 goal scorer, that can't elevate his game in the playoffs due to size, lack of speed, not good enough shot, whatever, then it will be time to revisit his status within the organization, and perhaps get a piece that is more suited, both in production and salary, especially as we're soon to be headed into some tough cap decisions.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2011

Not expecting 1 PPG, and 'Try' makes all the difference.

StupidGenius

Apr 1, 2013
I can deal with defense-mode Eberle, and I can deal with him having no goals. It's the fact he's not even really getting chances that concerns me.

What concerns me more is that beyond a couple of goals Talbot would dearly like back, we lost game 3 against the boards, and that's something that's really been a strength of ours for most of the season. I don't know if it's as simple as not matching the desperation of a team that was down 2-0 and needing to win two of three on the road, leading to losing races and battles for loose pucks, but if Anaheim takes the game to the walls tomorrow, it's going to have to improve in a hurry.

I'd figured we'd split with them at home and on the road, so even though a loss tomorrow doesn't really put us behind where I expected us to be, it'd be a great opportunity to have let slip by.

The best part about still being in it, besides having some semblance of a shot at the finals, is being able to really stress test our team, find its absolute limits, and make roster decisions from there. It's not unreasonable to think this may be an even more important off season than last year.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I can deal with defense-mode Eberle, and I can deal with him having no goals. It's the fact he's not even really getting chances that concerns me.

What concerns me more is that beyond a couple of goals Talbot would dearly like back, we lost game 3 against the boards, and that's something that's really been a strength of ours for most of the season. I don't know if it's as simple as not matching the desperation of a team that was down 2-0 and needing to win two of three on the road, leading to losing races and battles for loose pucks, but if Anaheim takes the game to the walls tomorrow, it's going to have to improve in a hurry.

I'd figured we'd split with them at home and on the road, so even though a loss tomorrow doesn't really put us behind where I expected us to be, it'd be a great opportunity to have let slip by.

The best part about still being in it, besides having some semblance of a shot at the finals, is being able to really stress test our team, find its absolute limits, and make roster decisions from there. It's not unreasonable to think this may be an even more important off season than last year.

Nail on the head. You're not so stupid for a genius.:D

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Eberle was never going to be a factor against big teams...
He might get things going if we manage to get past the Ducks.

Take away the 3 Cali teams and his stats line is 18GP 9G 17pts since Feb15.

/grasp@straws

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
For those who are acting like Eberle's salary is taking food from the mouths of their babies ... how would you like to have Corey Perry and his 1 goal in the past thirteen games?
Believe that guy is making more than $8 million. Better reclassify him as unelite.

Suxnet

Jan 4, 2012
So what was your point? Other than trying to deflect from how awful your boy Ebs is playing.

Asiaoil

Vperod Bizona!
May 3, 2002
Visit site
Not expecting 1 PPG, and 'Try' makes all the difference.

Everyone "tries" in the second round but there is no place to hide weaknesses. If you think guys are not trying at this point in the playoffs then I'd suggest you talk to a few. No team gets this far without maximum effort from all key players. This years playoffs are about finding out who can compete at this level and some guys will not be around next year for various reasons (size, speed, age). Ebs is likely one of these guys but anyone who says he doesn't care or doesn't try after he succeeded in completely remaking his 2 way game this season is out to lunch.

Oilers 322

Oct 26, 2016
Edmonton

Yup I totally agree with you. The issue with Eberle's game isn't his defensive side anymore, but his offensive side. Eberle's offensive instinct isn't what it was 2-3 years ago. I don't know if it is a confidence issue or what he has been coached to do, but he appears to be playing the game way too safe in the offensive zone now. The strongest part of Eberle's game is his stickhandling: if he is not utilizing that part of his skill set then he is useless in the offensive zone. He used to be able to make that one or two extra move that allows him to get in position to generate a scoring chance. His infamous toe drag is almost completely erased from his game; I don't remember the last time Eberle actually did a toe drag. I don't care that Eberle lose majority of his board battles, because that is not his strength. Eberle's primary focus should be taking the puck and trying to create a dangerous scoring chance with his skill. With all that said, the part that baffles me the most is how weak his shot is now.

I do find it ironic that you of all people are defending Eberle, after being on his *** all year. :P

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
I do find it ironic that you of all people are defending Eberle, after being on his *** all year. :P
Should be food for thought for the many posters who, having nothing interesting to post, just keep posting the same old 'Ebs is junk, lets expose him in the expansion draft' crap.
Asiaoil making some quality posts in this thread and the proposals thread.
Some folks should read what he wrote very carefully and learn something. :nod:

Halibut

Jul 24, 2010
If Eberle tries harder we achieve world peace and cure cancer.

Damn it ...come on Eberle...get it together :laugh:

:laugh::laugh:
That's about it. It's all Eberle's fault. If he even tried for 1 second of any game ever everybody on this board would be sleeping with supermodels every night and driving a Lamborghini and the Oilers would have won the cup every year for the past 10 years.

Come on Eberle!

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
It was great to see the Oilers battle back from a three-goal defecit, but Talbot and Nurse had off games. I thought McDavid, Eberle, and Lucic looked excellent on one of their breakouts. I don't recall who the defenders were on this play, but they all seemed in sync with each other whilst moving their feet very well. This was part of their comeback to tie the game at three. Lucic played hard in the second and helped the battle back to occur.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad