TV: The Rehearsal (HBO)

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
Nathan For You fans rejoice! The first ep of Nathan Fielder's new show The Rehearsal is on HBOmax now, and hot damn, it is exactly what you expect (which is to say, if you like his brand of entertainment, you will love this).

Also sidenote: Fielder fans should also check out the other show on HBOmax he executive produces, "How To with John Wilson." Similar vibes for sure.

Reactions: Tuggy

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Really enjoyed the premier. It's crazy the stuff he can come up with to do.

He turned running real life scenarios in your head to life.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
Loved Nathan For You and this was basically Nathan For You 2.0.

The first episode was funny.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
I wasn't particularly excited about this show or its premise after seeing the trailer, however, I was willing to give it a chance due to my enjoyment of Nathan For You - the finale of which is one of the most brilliant pieces of television I've ever seen

So, while I appreciate Nathan's willingness to be different, and commit to an idea that's entirely unique and untested, I think the strength of his previous work came from the interactions within the absurd situations he'd created, and, unfortunately, it felt at times The Rehearsal was missing that element, and instead was too reliant on the premise itself

Ultimately, it never ascends comedically or emotionally to the level of its ambition

member 51464

I wasn't particularly excited about this show or its premise after seeing the trailer, however, I was willing to give it a chance due to my enjoyment of Nathan For You - the finale of which is one of the most brilliant pieces of television I've ever seen

So, while I appreciate Nathan's willingness to be different, and commit to an idea that's entirely unique and untested, I think the strength of his previous work came from the interactions within the absurd situations he'd created, and, unfortunately, it felt at times The Rehearsal was missing that element, and instead was too reliant on the premise itself

Ultimately, it never ascends comedically or emotionally to the level of its ambition
I agree. I respect Nathan's vision and would definitely check out any future show he creates, but this was not on the level of Nathan For You...for me.

Reactions: Neutrinos

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad