The Real Problem is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Not our amateur scouting.

Okay, our draft didn't go according to plan, but it's a weak one - whatever. No one fell into our laps. Nothing we could have done.

The real problem is our pro scouting.

Is no one else extremely concerned at how bad our pro scouting has been over the years?

Ballard, Booth... now rumours of Bolland, Millers, Glass, Dorsett and Myers.

edit: Sbisa :facepalm:

Who the heck is in charge of our pro scouting?

Any one else care to comment on this stance?

Iridescent*

Gillis made some trades based solely on advanced stats.

Benning is making trades based solely on some petty ideal of "If he dun grind in da corners, he dun be good"

Out of the frying pan

Vankiller Whale

Fire Benning
May 12, 2012
Toronto
Our amateur scouting is terrible.

At least our pro scouting has gotten some things right lately, like Santorelli, Stanton, Higgins...

GCM

Stork
Jun 22, 2010
What do you have against Dorsett? Seriously? Dorsett > late 3rd any day.

Don't talk about rumors, they could be complete fabrications. Wait till he signs someone to complain. I think Miller is fine, too.

CCF23

Jul 11, 2008
Richmond, BC
I love you guys. Team sucks at scoring so they take the player with the best shot in the draft and soooo many people complain.

Hilarious.

TacitEndorsement

Jul 2, 2009
I'm convinced more and more by the day that Gillis and Gilman are/were (get ready for hyperbole) two nerds who evaluated using advanced stats and were great at signing contracts. End of story. I think there was VERY little real talent evaluation done by those two. By all accounts talent evaluation is Benning's strongest suit. I'd like to trust him for now.

shortshorts

Oct 29, 2008
Honestly people stop posting multiple threads on the same subject. Multiple complaint threads have already been locked. We don't need another.

I took some time away from my computer to digest the day. Didn't know if there was a similar thread.

I thought it would be a worthwhile conversation.

Virtanen2Horvat

BoHorvat53
Nov 29, 2011
Vancouver
Wow Benning is upgrading our bottom six and getting picks at the same time to help with our future and this is the thanks he gets? You guys don't even know if he is gonna sign Bolland or whoever or not. Right now it is:

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
??? - ??? - Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Jensen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

He just needs to sign two good guys in free agency and the team is set and then if he feels there needs to be some changes he has the TD to do that. Its not the end of the world.

Left Wing candidates: (Bolded is most likely)

Michalek
Cammalleri
Moulson
Vanek

Centers:

Stastny (Probably a maybe or no go)
Ribeiro (PHX says he has an attitude problem?)
Richards
Olli Jokinen
Legwand
Roy

Sedin - Sedin - Burrows
Cammalleri - Stastny - Kassian
Higgins - Bonino - Jensen
Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

I really don't know what he would do for top six but I would imagine one of those guys get signed.

Last edited:

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I'm convinced more and more by the day that Gillis and Gilman are/were (get ready for hyperbole) two nerds who evaluated using advanced stats and were great at signing contracts. End of story. I think there was VERY little real talent evaluation done by those two. By all accounts talent evaluation is Benning's strongest suit. I'd like to trust him for now.

Pro scouting under Gillis was actually very strong.

They made two blown reads of note - Booth and Ballard. But every team has these - Detroit are wizards and look at the Stephen Weiss signing.

With no cap space whatsoever last year, their three small acquisitions of Santorelli/Stanton/Richardson were all great value pickups who greatly exceeded expectations.

Benning, on the other hand, I'm terrified.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Stastny wants north of 7 million and term **** that, just suck and tank next year, it's said to be a great draft.

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Exactly. All I have seen is a majority of the fanbase whining. A lot of people personally thought Benning did well.

People just need to sit back and look at the big picture. We drafted 2 great prospects today. One of which I feel could become an Elite physical presence in this league. Benning is doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad