The Ratings Thread - a lot of people watched wrestling on Super Tuesday, sort of

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Probably wont be much of a "Bounce" at all. The show did roughly the 10 week average and the show seems to consistently draw 800K, give or take 25K. If anything, it probably doesn't open as strong or close as weak, unless Tony plans on booking another shitty main event.

Again, it's still weird to me that people are focusing on Mercedes when her segment did well.

What they really should be focused on is why Tony continues to put hot garbage main events on, and the fact that the Young Bucks, heel or face, have consistently driven people to change the channel. (And Tony just tied one of his new big signings to them)
Did it though? The lead in was 1 mil but by the quarter hour it was down around 800k.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Did it though? The lead in was 1 mil but by the quarter hour it was down around 800k.

Obviously you get the bump from the lead in, but 1M is higher off the lead in than I've heard in awhile. I can't remember the last time I heard 1M for AEW. Might've missed one, though.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Anybody ever take part in the Nielsen ratings system? I have. It’s a joke.

But I’m sure the metrics are used for negotiating broadcasting and advertising contracts.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Anybody ever take part in the Nielsen ratings system? I have. It’s a joke.

But I’m sure the metrics are used for negotiating broadcasting and advertising contracts.
Nothing you didn't already cover, but it doesn't really matter if it's a joke as long as the broadcasters and advertisers cite it.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I find it hilarious that some wrestling fans actually care about this shit and think it means something.
I find it unsurprising that you feel that way. :laugh:

"Ratings mean nothing" is hilarious take once your favorite company's ratings are in the shitter.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Well she is advertised for tomorrow so we shall see what the bounce back looks like
It’s still never going to be as big as the debut since there’s no real big angle to build for her.

I tuned in late, didn’t expect her to open the show again.

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
I find it unsurprising that you feel that way. :laugh:

"Ratings mean nothing" is hilarious take once your favorite company's ratings are in the shitter.
No, I just don't care about ratings at all. I'm pretty sure most fans on here feel the same way. If TNA can get on TV then I don't think AEW has anything to worry about.

Reactions: Fro and MAHJ71

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
No, I just don't care about ratings at all. I'm pretty sure most fans on here feel the same way. If TNA can get on TV then I don't think AEW has anything to worry about.

"I don't care about ratings" =/= "Ratings don't mean anything".

I wonder if TNA getting on TV has anything to do with Anthem Sports and Entertainment also owning the channel they're broadcasted on. Hmmmm......

Reactions: Khelandros

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004
"I don't care about ratings" =/= "Ratings don't mean anything".

I wonder if TNA getting on TV has anything to do with Anthem Sports and Entertainment also owning the channel they're broadcasted on. Hmmmm....
I don't see why they mean anything to any fan unless the show is about to be cancelled which clearly isn't the case with AEW. Obviously, they mean something from a business perspective but they care more about certain demographics than the overall rating and I'm pretty sure AEW is doing fine there. The numbers also aren't accurate at all as far as how many people are actually watching.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I don't see why they mean anything to any fan unless the show is about to be cancelled which clearly isn't the case with AEW. Obviously, they mean something from a business perspective but they care more about certain demographics than the overall rating and I'm pretty sure AEW is doing fine there. The numbers also aren't accurate at all as far as how many people are actually watching.

1. The numbers are as accurate as you're going to get when it comes to cable and network TV. And as long as Nielsen is the best game in town and the broadcaster and the advertiser both listen to them, they're going to matter.

2. We honestly don't know if they're "Doing fine" yet. I fully expect them to get a deal done, probably with WBD, but I'm skeptical how lucrative it actually is for them. NBC (USA) has social media accounts openly mocking Tony and is seemingly content with Smackdown's rights. FOX is apparently out of the wrestling game after they weren't happy with Smackdown.

Seems like WBD is the obvious destination for them, which begs the question of "What's the hold up?" Seems to me the obvious answer is that WBD isn't making any decision until they find out how much money they're going to have to pay the NBA. And if that costs a lot, that probably cuts into the AEW fund.

3. Even if demo ratings are doing well, it's not necessarily great for advertisers. It's been pretty well known for awhile that wrestling fans have a stigma of being poor in the advertising industry. To the point that Meltzer said a few years ago that's why the NHL can pull in way less viewers and still bumps AEW.

AEW doesn't really help themselves in that regard by constantly putting shit on TV that advertisers cringe at. NWA found out the hard way very quickly with this one. Which is honestly why I think AEW would be better off on streaming. The rules aren't nearly as strict for the content they want to provide.

tl;dr on "How does this affect the fan?" - Tony's been throwing millions at talent under the auspices of an incoming big TV deal... If he doesn't get that big TV deal, does Shad keep flushing tens of millions to finance Tony's fantasies?

Reactions: Khelandros

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
1. The numbers are as accurate as you're going to get when it comes to cable and network TV. And as long as Nielsen is the best game in town and the broadcaster and the advertiser both listen to them, they're going to matter.

2. We honestly don't know if they're "Doing fine" yet. I fully expect them to get a deal done, probably with WBD, but I'm skeptical how lucrative it actually is for them. NBC (USA) has social media accounts openly mocking Tony and is seemingly content with Smackdown's rights. FOX is apparently out of the wrestling game after they weren't happy with Smackdown.

Seems like WBD is the obvious destination for them, which begs the question of "What's the hold up?" Seems to me the obvious answer is that WBD isn't making any decision until they find out how much money they're going to have to pay the NBA. And if that costs a lot, that probably cuts into the AEW fund.

3. Even if demo ratings are doing well, it's not necessarily great for advertisers. It's been pretty well known for awhile that wrestling fans have a stigma of being poor in the advertising industry. To the point that Meltzer said a few years ago that's why the NHL can pull in way less viewers and still bumps AEW.

AEW doesn't really help themselves in that regard by constantly putting shit on TV that advertisers cringe at. NWA found out the hard way very quickly with this one. Which is honestly why I think AEW would be better off on streaming. The rules aren't nearly as strict for the content they want to provide.

tl;dr on "How does this affect the fan?" - Tony's been throwing millions at talent under the auspices of an incoming big TV deal... If he doesn't get that big TV deal, does Shad keep flushing tens of millions to finance Tony's fantasies?
That's a lot of facts for someone that doesn't even watch the product.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023

At least Tony's starting to learn that if the overall product is down, book to the local audience. He's on a decent streak now with Sting's retirement, Sasha's debut in Boston, and Edge vs. Christian in Toronto.

... Before that we also had to hear how shitty ticket sales was no big deal. If you had fun, you won!

DaaaaB's

Apr 24, 2004

Some fair points here albeit mainly speculation in regards to #2 and 3.

Not really many facts, more speculation and nothing to do with watching the product.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
If you factor in Rampage, show averaged 716K. Third hour saw a huge drop in case anyone wanted Dynamite to move to 3 hours
The advertised matches weren't the best...sure that played into it...I actually went to bed halfway thru or so bc I had a rough day...but I would rather them just do 3 Wednesday and 2 Saturday and be done...but not sure it works for them

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
1711663880525.png

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
If the wrestling didn't keep ppl invested last night...just wow...

I wasn't sports entertained but damn...the actual wrestling was so good overall

Reactions: MAHJ71

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If the wrestling didn't keep ppl invested last night...just wow...

I wasn't sports entertained but damn...the actual wrestling was so good overall
First match did not get my attention. Ospray is obviously a great athtlete who has springs for legs, but the match itself meh.

The Bucks match was a Bucks match... and then I went to bed.

Not a very engaging show even if the athleticism was high quality.

Reactions: canucksfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad