News Article: The Rat Trick: Guds v Demers Debate

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
https://therattrick.com/2017/08/18/florida-panthers-jason-demers-vs-erik-gudbranson-debate/

I came up with this NEW feature idea. The website loved it , and in the debut Panthers debate the editor faces off against me. Comment below. I'm not asking for your vote ... I want to EARN your vote :handclap:

Note : let us know on here or Twitter if the poll works on (IOS,Android, phone, tablet ) as well overseas Panthers fans on here love to hear from you. If interested in writing for The Rat Trick, please send me a PM/DM with a very short writing sample thanks !

Edit : There are 8-9 slides. Very easy read. Look for blue icon NEXT AND PREV buttons to navigate. Poll at the end (on Twitter,maybe on FB too).

Last edited:

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Is it me or does the article go no further than "Let's get started"?

(plus....danjan on instagram? I either hardcore often agree or hardcore think he's an idiot, I can't remember! There's someone on insta that always posts on the Cats page, and they don't know their arse from their face, but if I had to bet I'd say he's the dude that's always helping me with people like that LOL...or I'm wrong and I'll say nothing further about it!!!!)

Anyway, looking fwd to reading the debates if you could please post whatever I'm missing, I already gave my quota of clicks!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Is it me or does the article go no further than "Let's get started"?

Anyway, looking fwd to reading the debates if you could please post whatever I'm missing, I already gave my quota of clicks!

There's pages to the article, you should be able to use your right arrow to flip to the next page of the article. Took me a bit to find it too but also under the "TWEET/SHARE/COMMENT" icons near the right side, you should see "PREV and NEXT" arrows and page 1/9 and so on and click there to flip the page. :cheers:

**EDIT**

I would have voted Gudbranson but I don't have Twitter. Guds because we will have enough offense on the backend from Yandle, Ekblad and Matheson already, Petrovic puts up a decent amount and Weegar may put 15-20 if he gets enough TOI on the 3rd pairing next year. Guds is cheaper and provides some extra toughness while being a key guy on the team who's well liked in the locker room. Boughner could probably help his game out as they played similar roles on their respective teams.

IF we could trade Demers + pick/prospect for a solid 3C/W then I'm all for it, bringing back Guds to play on the bottom pairing means Petrovic and Weegar are expendable. The two following options exist:

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Pysyk
McCoshen - Gudbranson

Petrovic (probably should be traded if the plan is to bring back Guds)

OR

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Pysyk
McCoshen - Petrovic

Weegar

A lot would depend on how Petrovic does this year, if he's capable of 15-20pts while playing a solid defensive game then I lean towards re-signing Petrovic and letting Guds find a suitor elsewhere. I miss the guy but his foot speed and awkwardness with the puck in his own end deters me and I doubt he ever reaches his top 4 potential he once had.

Last edited:

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
There's pages to the article, you should be able to use your right arrow to flip to the next page of the article. Took me a bit to find it too but also under the "TWEET/SHARE/COMMENT" icons near the right side, you should see "PREV and NEXT" arrows and page 1/9 and so on and click there to flip the page. :cheers:

**EDIT**

I would have voted Gudbranson
but I don't have Twitter. Guds because we will have enough offense on the backend from Yandle, Ekblad and Matheson already, Petrovic puts up a decent amount and Weegar may put 15-20 if he gets enough TOI on the 3rd pairing next year. Guds is cheaper and provides some extra toughness while being a key guy on the team who's well liked in the locker room. Boughner could probably help his game out as they played similar roles on their respective teams.

IF we could trade Demers + pick/prospect for a solid 3C/W then I'm all for it, bringing back Guds to play on the bottom pairing means Petrovic and Weegar are expendable. The two following options exist:

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Pysyk
McCoshen - Gudbranson

OR

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Pysyk
McCoshen - Petrovic

Weegar

A lot would depend on how Petrovic does this year, if he's capable of 15-20pts while playing a solid defensive game then I lean towards re-signing Petrovic and letting Guds find a suitor elsewhere. I miss the guy but his foot speed and awkwardness with the puck in his own end deters me and I doubt he ever reaches his top 4 potential he once had.

Shocking considering how much you like Demers! Or is that CanadianPantherFan. You two are very similar!

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Shocking considering how much you like Demers! Or is that CanadianPantherFan. You two are very similar!

Wasn't a fan of the Demers signing for the most part. Felt it was overkill and too much term. As much as Demers is decent at bringing offense and that's what he was brought in to do, I'd prefer Pysyk on the 2nd line and if Tallon is hell bent on bringing back Guds, he could probably be a decent 3rd pairing with one of Weegar/McCoshen assuming we trade Petrovic at the TDL this year if out of the playoff race.

We are similar I guess, I nearly copied his name by accident when I first signed up. Thus my rebirth as TPP.
Who would you go with in the debate?

Last edited:

Great8Cam

Nov 2, 2008

**EDIT**

I would have voted Gudbranson but I don't have Twitter. Guds because we will have enough offense on the backend from Yandle, Ekblad and Matheson already, Petrovic puts up a decent amount and Weegar may put 15-20 if he gets enough TOI on the 3rd pairing next year. Guds is cheaper and provides some extra toughness while being a key guy on the team who's well liked in the locker room. Boughner could probably help his game out as they played similar roles on their respective teams.

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Pysyk
McCoshen - Gudbranson

OR

Matheson - Ekblad
Yandle - Pysyk
McCoshen - Petrovic

Weegar

Trade Demers plus a pick for JVR please.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
Thanks TPP LMAO!

More cool offseason relief from CPF, after reading I'm more confident that I've seen danjan to be one of the good guys on insta LMAO

I don't agree with everything said, as I want Guds back for what I feel are great reasons, but I somehow don't find myself disagreeing with either side. I wanted both on the team and still do. Right now, speaking of instagram, Demers seem to be bros with Petro. It'd be nice to see that chemistry translate to the ice.

I don't want to get rid of Demers anyway, and last year was unfair to negatively judge either player by stats or anything else considering what they were surrounded by.

I can admit to bias(as my bias stems entirely from what he brings to a hockey team) when I slightly disagree with danjan, but I can't make an arguement to anything he said except for what player truly holds more worth, which is obviously up for debate.

My vote is still for both. I wanted Guds with Ek, Petro with Demers, and Yandle with Pysyk, and I'd have felt playoff ready from the blueline to the crease if everyone does their job. Still easily possible, throw a mid-late round pick their way or something.

If not, can McCoshen be that guy? Seeing as how Guds probably won't come back, I'm rooting for Ian to find it within himself to play old time hockey cause we desperately need it.

Doesn't matter, we have a defensive logjam, I am not happy with how smurfy our forward group is. That ain't playoff ready.

Last edited:

CanadianPantherFan

Cats are Here!
Jun 6, 2004
Calgary
Just couple points from various comments above :

It's a topical story in the offseason with news of the rejected proposed deal. You can read it or not. I don't quite understand why you would not if you're a diehard Panthers fan. I respect people's opinion and views on it whether they agree with me or not. It's an opinion piece.

A lot of beat writers for Panthers could not put together a strong educated stance like that due to their job title /lack of hockey knowledge. The Rat Trick is offering something the community is in dire need of :content. Look at the retweets, likes and comments from the organization. We are not censored either.

GR used to have top stories and content, but COTP and The Rat Trick are becoming go to sources for everything Panthers. The new era is here.
You guys can bookmark and follow Harv's tweets , up to you ;)

Thanks for all comments and clicks, kind or not so kind. I appreciate your time.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Wasn't a fan of the Demers signing for the most part. Felt it was overkill and too much term. As much as Demers is decent at bringing offense and that's what he was brought in to do, I'd prefer Pysyk on the 2nd line and if Tallon is hell bent on bringing back Guds, he could probably be a decent 3rd pairing with one of Weegar/McCoshen assuming we trade Petrovic at the TDL this year if out of the playoff race.

We are similar I guess, I nearly copied his name by accident when I first signed up. Thus my rebirth as TPP.
Who would you go with in the debate?

Gudbranson. Basically for the same reason as you.

FLPANTHERS

Jun 12, 2017
Miami
Im going to go with what seems to be the unpopular answer. DEMERS. Yes, Gudbranson is a great guy and brings toughness to our team, but the guy could not hit the net with a shot. Demers just set a career high in points last year, and he is a solid defender. Need D who contribute.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad