Post-Game Talk: The Rangers Win the League!!

3 Stars

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
I just saw the highlights of the jerseys off their backs ceremony after the game last night. I feel terrible for the poor soul that got chosen to receive Trouba's jersey. Even Ruhwedel's jersey is more valuable. If I was the one receiving Tuba's jersey I would have taken it from him, autographed it myself and then handed it back to him and said "you're welcome" and then jump on the ice and glide off as if I were wearing Heelys

Of course, the f***ing ginger kid gets Trouba's jersey.

That's future serial killer material there.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: Ginger Papa and hi

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Funny to think about that January stretch where we were ass and everyone panicked. I thought we kinda played well at 5v5 during that stretch. And then we immediately won like 10 in a row and thought we sucked in like 8 of them. Hockey is dumb.

During this recent stretch, we're playing well at 5v5 and winning. This is the best we've played going in since 13-14.

McRanger92

Jun 7, 2017
NO!

I'm a New York sports fan who isn't a Yankees fan. Those Giants win are the reason I haven't gone clinically insane...and even that wore off about 5 seasons ago.

I want an endless, continuous parade down the Canyon of Heroes!

Ive never seen any. Mets, Rangers, Jets, Knicks. I was 1 year old in 94 when they won the Cup. Ill get greedy once I live through a championship.

Reactions: Greg02

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Feels kinda remarkable to win the Presidents Trophy, while it wasn't that remarkable of a season. At least it didn't feel like it.

Shows what the rest of the league is worth.

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
Pick your poison

I think of the teams left i'd say this is the order i'd prefer, but this list could really be in any order.

Detroit - (3-0)
Pittsburgh - (2-1)
Washington - (2-2)

I think they would (and should) beat any of them.

Why each team scares me:

Detroit: They have a good amount of skill/talent and some game breakers that could put it together at the right time
Pitt: The whole Crosby factor bullshit, plus they have a very good coaching staff
Washington: The whole Wilson factor bullshit. Also Lindgren is red hot

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Ive never seen any. Mets, Rangers, Jets, Knicks. I was 1 year old in 94 when they won the Cup. Ill get greedy once I live through a championship.
Here are my thoughts on it.

Worth it? Yes.

BUT, it's the second one that haunts you. You get addicted to it real fast and all you wanna do is taste it just one more time.

Once you've got two of them from the same team, then you get a bit more zen, at least for awhile.

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
Pick your poison

I think of the teams left i'd say this is the order i'd prefer, but this list could really be in any order.

Detroit - (3-0)
Pittsburgh - (2-1)
Washington - (2-2)

I think they would (and should) beat any of them.

Why each team scares me:

Detroit: They have a good amount of skill/talent and some game breakers that could put it together at the right time
Pitt: The whole Crosby factor bullshit, plus they have a very good coaching staff
Washington: The whole Wilson factor bullshit. Also Lindgren is red hot
Give me Washington. Lindgren is a meh goalie and nothing special, and he is unproven in the playoffs. And they don't have the skill players of Detroit, or the Crosby factor from the Pens.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
You have to beat who's in front of you.

The only one that bothers me is Pittsburgh and that's just because it's kind of shitty to have to play them after winning 55 games.

They're at least top 15 in the league at everything 5v5. It's a fluke that they're not higher in the standings.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
I just saw the highlights of the jerseys off their backs ceremony after the game last night. I feel terrible for the poor soul that got chosen to receive Trouba's jersey. Even Ruhwedel's jersey is more valuable. If I was the one receiving Tuba's jersey I would have taken it from him, autographed it myself and then handed it back to him and said "you're welcome" and then jump on the ice and glide off as if I were wearing Heelys
:thumbd:🤮

HatTrick Swayze

Just Be Nice
Jun 16, 2006
Chicago
Pretty exciting to me how much the NYR play improved at 5v5 recently. Saying they are "poor at 5v5", looking at the season on the whole, is an incomplete narrative.

Over the last month, they are 11th at 5v5 expected goals %. Even in the last 9 games since Trouba returned, they are actually even better - 6th overall.

If they can be even average at ES, with Igor on his game, and special teams continuing to be really good...that is definitely an exciting combination.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You have to beat who's in front of you.

The only one that bothers me is Pittsburgh and that's just because it's kind of shitty to have to play them after winning 55 games.

They're at least top 15 in the league at everything 5v5. It's a fluke that they're not higher in the standings.
Agree about not wanting to play Pittsburgh, just tired of them. I said this before though but it's not reallllllly a fluke, their roster just isn't setup to perform up to their statistics anymore. Of course they can still be dangerous, of course they could still turn it on and be a 1st round upset maker, but they're not really a dangerous team that's been sleeping.

IMO this Rangers team isn't perfect and doesn't dominate games start to finish and all that but they find ways to win and are opportunistic. You don't win the Presidents Trophy by accident or just 1 player carrying everyone (Panarin came close though). Whether they can win the cup might depend on matchups but even if they DO win the cup I expect to see some ugly games in there where they scratch and claw back and maybe win, maybe lose. A bunch of back and forth games where everyone is mad they aren't dominating, and a few dominant games.

Dunno, this is shoot your shot territory. Getting Fil back would be huge if he's healthy, stays healthy, and hits the ground running.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
Feels kinda remarkable to win the Presidents Trophy, while it wasn't that remarkable of a season. At least it didn't feel like it.

Shows what the rest of the league is worth.
Not that remarkable of the season?!?!? I've seen a couple of posts with similar sentiment and think that those who like you feel this way about this season are just nuts.

Last edited:

KennyWu

Oct 14, 2010
Congrats to the Rangers. But ugh...the dreaded PC curse! Been following the scores. Will be back home in time to see the playoffs. LGR!

I keep seeing comments that it's a curse... they won't win the cup now..

Looking back, 8 of the 37 PT winners went on to win the cup. Doesn't sound like a curse to me

HolyHagelin

Speed? I am speed.
Jan 8, 2024
The rangers got a franchise record for wins how is it not that good of a season? Do you think they were somehow more dominant when they won the presidents trophy with fewer wins and fewer points? This confuses me.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Not that remarkable of the season?!?!? I've seen a couple of posts with similar sentient and think that those who like you feel this way about this season are just nuts.
What I mean is that we basically had one outstanding line through the season. A lot of question marks on other spots. But the overall result was greater than the sum of the parts.

Think about it, Igor had pretty rough stretches. Zibanejad was MIA early in the season (pretty late to the season TBH). Trouba was a disaster on defence. Laf took a step, but Chytil and Kakko had unremarkable seasons (a lot of it because of injuries, especially for Chytil though).

Yet we just kept winning. It wasn't always the prettiest and even after wins there was still a lot to criticize. Exiting times ahead.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
Pretty exciting to me how much the NYR play improved at 5v5 recently. Saying they are "poor at 5v5", looking at the season on the whole, is an incomplete narrative.

Over the last month, they are 11th at 5v5 expected goals %. Even in the last 9 games since Trouba returned, they are actually even better - 6th overall.

If they can be even average at ES, with Igor on his game, and special teams continuing to be really good...that is definitely an exciting combination.
At the exact halfway point of the season, this was the team's lines:

Kreider-Zibanejad-Cuylle
Panarin-Trocheck-Lafreniere
Vesey-Goodrow-Wheeler
Leschyshyn-Bonino-Brodzinski

Yet people say the team overall stinks at 5v5. Well of course, you've got guys that wouldn't make the roster of non-playoff teams playing roles at that point.

Yes, they had better combos before and after this game, but you've got 3 guys in the bottom 6 that are nowhere near the active roster. The 3rd line is basically the 4th now and Cuylle could be getting bumped down to the 4th line as well if Chytil is back in the mix.

Since this point, the team added Kakko, Wennberg and Roslovic as mainstays and Rempe as a rotational forward. Basically an entire 3rd line and a piece for the 4th line.

On top of that, what I've seen from Mika the last few games is the best version of him in a long time. I think he knows it's time to ramp up and time to be a difference-maker.

kovazub94

Enigmatic
Aug 5, 2010
What I mean is that we basically had one outstanding line through the season. A lot of question marks on other spots. But the overall result was greater than the sum of the parts.

Think about it, Igor had pretty rough stretches. Zibanejad was MIA early in the season (pretty late to the season TBH). Trouba was a disaster on defence. Laf took a step, but Chytil and Kakko had unremarkable seasons (a lot of it because of injuries, especially for Chytil though).

Yet we just kept winning. It wasn't always the prettiest and even after wins there was still a lot to criticize. Exiting times ahead.
Here's my (incomplete) list of categories where the Rangers are at least top-5 to help you explain how special this team is:

Top-5 Best Goalie
Top-5 Best Forward
Top-5 Best Defenseman
Top-5 Best PP
Top-5 Best PK
Top-5 Best defense scoring
Top-5 Come from behind wins
Top-5 Wins after trailing in the 3rd

The team set franchise records in win and points. Second ever player scoring 120 points in a season.
Folks seems to concentrate on much smaller negatives than all the significant positives that were components of President Trophy run.

BlueShirtGal

Wanna go?
May 19, 2014
Federal Way, WA
I keep seeing comments that it's a curse... they won't win the cup now..

Looking back, 8 of the 37 PT winners went on to win the cup. Doesn't sound like a curse to me
Yes just shy of 25%...remember last time they won the PC? They lost in the SC finals to the Kings. Not saying they're going to lose but the odds are not in their favor. Of course, We Want the Cup!

Reactions: KennyWu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad