OT: The Queen has died

Statto

Sponsor
May 9, 2014
Give me a break. The basic facts of her life are in there. Of course it is dramatized. I am not basing my knowledge of her life on "The Crown". I said I wouldn't even care if I had not watched "The Crown".
I’m referring specifically to the comments about Charles. The Crown has portrayed a very creative narrative around him and used a very select set of ‘facts’, giving an inaccurate view that hes an ahole. He’s basically a decent man and no I’m not saying he’s perfect.

He will do fine in the role. He won’t deviate far from his mothers approach although it woul not surprise me if he uses his platform for raising environmental concerns. He was well ahead of the game on that one, starting to focus on it decades ago.

Anyway, we move on…

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I’m referring specifically to the comments about Charles. The Crown has portrayed a very creative narrative around him and used a very select set of ‘facts’, giving an inaccurate view that hes an ahole. He’s basically a decent man and no I’m not saying he’s perfect.

He will do fine in the role. He won’t deviate far from his mothers approach although it woul not surprise me if he uses his platform for raising environmental concerns. He was well ahead of the game on that one, starting to focus on it decades ago.

Anyway, we move on…
Oh, I don't base my evaluation of Charles on The Crown, at all. I base it on his BS elitist smelling of his own smug in Davos and other places.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
The criticisms of Elizabeth over colonialism seem odd considering she wasn't a ruler. She didn't make any policy decisions. She was a ceremonial figure.

Her life was mostly dedicated to public service, charity, and fostering goodwill.

Present day British royalty is kind of silly, and the pop culture obsession with it can also be annoying, but I don't get the people taking joy in her death.

SmytheKing

Apr 7, 2007
The criticisms of Elizabeth over colonialism seem odd considering she wasn't a ruler. She didn't make any policy decisions. She was a ceremonial figure.

Her life was mostly dedicated to public service, charity, and fostering goodwill.

Present day British royalty is kind of silly, and the pop culture obsession with it can also be annoying, but I don't get the people taking joy in her death.
Here's some insight into why folks might feel the way they do. It's a lot more complicated and complex than you're making it out to be.

Personally I couldn't care less about her death. I'm sure her family is hurting and I hope they have support from others in the family, but the royal family doesn't matter at all to me. It's historical in that someone of note died, but beyond that...

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I don’t know much about the Monarchy except the fact they hold zero power, and they get taxpayer money but I wonder why did anyone ever care about Queen Elizabeth? I didn’t know she was doing public service among other things?

I always thought the royal family was just all about status, tax payer money, and interesting traditions. Just like the current Japanese Emperor.

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
why did anyone ever care about Queen Elizabeth?

She was like a God(dess) – not in terms of looks or personality, but stature. Only comparable to the Pope in the Catholic church.

In an unstable world, if there was one thing you could rely on, it was that there was this queen. For over 70 years straight. She wouldn't let anyone mess with fundamental British values and traditions.

I think we can see that both the US and Russia are easily susceptible to fascism. Either or both of these countries might easily turn into another version of Hitler's Germany. (If it has not, in fact, already happened in one of them, and the other was a very close call last January.)

There is no one to watch over these two mamooth countries, which means they can descend into murderous chaos at any time.

The queen would never permit that to happen to Great Britain under her rule. In this sense, her role was anything but ceremonial.

• Haha
Reactions: Herby

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille