Not open for further replies.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
If I may,

There was Motown.

There was Stax/Volt, which featured artists like Booker T and The MGs.

Then there was Muscle Shoals, which eventually produced two power house recording venues.

I appreciate Motown, having been born in Detroit, and Stax, too.

But Muscle Shoals is something else. That is dirt under the fingernails soul.
And half the house band, the "Swampers," were white.

Amazing stuff, captured well in the documentary. Rick Hall, the founder of FAME studios, was an indelible, tragic story himself.

Check if you will.

You can count on that! :thumbu:

aguineapig

Danny Whitten was the guitar player in Crazy Horse and sang vocals with Neil on this album. He was also who the song The Needle and the Damage Done was about. This song was written by Danny and appeared on Crazy Horse's 1971 album. Rod Stewart would have a hit with it. Neil had invited Danny to play on Harvest, but he was in poor shape. Neil had to let him go, and he died that night from mixing too many pills and alcohol.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Danny Whitten was the guitar player in Crazy Horse and sang vocals with Neil on this album. He was also who the song The Needle and the Damage Done was about. This song was written by Danny and appeared on Crazy Horse's 1971 album. Rod Stewart would have a hit with it. Neil had invited Danny to play on Harvest, but he was in poor shape. Neil had to let him go, and he died that night from mixing too many pills and alcohol.

Okay, two bits:

One, Whitten and Bruce Berry died of drug abuse. Neil's Tonight's the Night was a tribute to both. Raw, dishevled and real, my favorite Neil Young album,

Second, Everything But the Girl's lovely cover of "I Don't Want to Talk About It,"

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
The Cars' Drive was posted earlier. I'm interested to hear what others think of this cover by Deftones.

I'm a little too attached to the original vocals to be objective, but I do like the backing track. The electric guitar is a little much, but the background (acoustic?) guitar is nice. That's probably my favorite Cars song, but I really do like them all. My favorite semi-deep cut of theirs is "I'm Not the One" - it made their greatest hits album, but never really flew in the charts. Very 80s electronica background.

Of course, "Magic" is mandatory playing this time of year....but somehow doesn't quite fit the mood.

Always rerun the end of Les Miserables so I can sob and ugly cry twice......

I'm a cold-hearted bastard when it comes to crying in general, but two things will get me to cry: the end of E.T., and pretty much Les Miz in general.

aguineapig

More Skydog and the Swampers. With Wicked Pickett, Hey Dude this how you do Hey Jude!

Reactions: Ladyfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad