The QMJHL vs the OHL and WHL

buzzer beater

Oct 24, 2018
I find it hard to rank Q players and their stats when I see a 19 yo from Ottawa who was undrafted in the NHL and OHL who played decent hockey in JRA CCHL lighting it up in the Q. 4 goals in 2 games. What does that say ?

sonic92

Mar 5, 2020
Peace River, AB
The old stereotype from the 80's and early 90's was that QMHJL games were defenceless goalfests and teams from the Q were usually blown out by WHL and OHL teams at the Memorial Cup.

People who are more familiar with the QMHJL, how much of this stigma is still around today?

southsideIrish

Nov 23, 2019
One of Saturn's moons
The old stereotype from the 80's and early 90's was that QMHJL games were defenceless goalfests and teams from the Q were usually blown out by WHL and OHL teams at the Memorial Cup.

People who are more familiar with the QMHJL, how much of this stigma is still around today?

I've been following the CHL a lot the last couple years. Small sample size but the Q has won the last two Mem Cups, but before that were few and far between I think. When I watch the games there's something about the Q that's more "wild" if that's even a word. More raw. But it's probably just me.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
Yes the Q is inferior to the OHL and WHL without question. Not by any dramatic margin, but it is what the stats people would call "significant." I think there's a good argument to be made that the USHL is surpassing the Q as well.

David Suzuki

Aug 25, 2010
New Brunswick
The Q pulls from poorer parts of Canada and with the cost of playing hockey growing up it's pretty inevitable it will lose a bit of it's place. That said, the good teams in the Q are usually as good as any in Canada I'd say.

Tutu to

Jan 19, 2013
Toronto
I don’t watch enough junior hockey to have a strong opinion but the whole notion of the Q being a lot weaker does not show at the Memorial Cup.

Reactions: 1909

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Quebec minor hockey has fallen off in the last 20 years or so, which is why you don't see as many Francophone players in the NHL these days. The costs and economics of the region play a big role, and hockey is starting to lose some ground in terms of popularity from its once impenetrably dominant position. Of course an individual team in the Q can still be pretty stacked and compete with the best of them in a given season, especially considering how teams will load up in a given year (if they host the Memorial Cup or otherwise). The QMJHL also has the smallest number of teams (not a major difference but certainly helps at the margins). There is also a confounding factor where a lot of kids in the WHL's region will opt to play Junior A and preserve their NCAA eligibility as well, because the WHL has a very tough travel schedule and covers a wide geographic region, so it's not ideal for all players. The QMJHL is also the most reliant of the three leagues on helping to build up their rosters through the Import Draft, in part also because the only American states covered in the QMJHL's territory are New England, and there are good hockey playing opportunities out of U.S. Prep Schools for players there.

Overall though, I would say the QMJHL is the easiest of the three Major Junior Leagues to make, and the OHL is the toughest. A lot of kids getting regular shifts at the QMJHL probably wouldn't make the rosters for any OHL team.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
Q looking pretty good right now

Yeah... WHL teams haven't won in 14 games at the mem cup from what I understood... Q teams seem to have been doing very well.

I hope we can somehow put to rest the ''Q is weaker'' stereotypes one day... Saint John was a first round exit in the playoffs and Shawinigan finished 3rd in their conference, so it's not like they're the only two good teams in the Q either.

The Q teams are just as good as the teams in the other leagues. There is less talent but less teams to balance that fact, so teams are just as strong to be honest.

goonybird

Young boy expert
Jul 9, 2015
the cream always rises to the top. Depends on the year which league is best but generally speaking the most competitive is OHL but doesn't necessarily mean they have the best teams in the country.

Puck Blaster

May 8, 2022
Alberta
Yeah... WHL teams haven't won in 14 games at the mem cup from what I understood... Q teams seem to have been doing very well.

I hope we can somehow put to rest the ''Q is weaker'' stereotypes one day... Saint John was a first round exit in the playoffs and Shawinigan finished 3rd in their conference, so it's not like they're the only two good teams in the Q either.

The Q teams are just as good as the teams in the other leagues. There is less talent but less teams to balance that fact, so teams are just as strong to be honest.
Edmonto Oil Kings won Memorial cup 2014. This is third appearance, in 10 years. What is interesting, is Host Teams often win Memorial cup. The Host team often a stacked team, has been resting for 7 weeks. Meanwhile all the Championship teams, have been beating themselves up to win their championship. Many key players often injured. Not a fair tournament. Host team should not exist.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
the cream always rises to the top. Depends on the year which league is best but generally speaking the most competitive is OHL but doesn't necessarily mean they have the best teams in the country.
OHL generally has the best high-end prospects, but would not say their teams are better overall.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

NHL draft numbers tell a better picture than the Memorial Cup results. Some host team that doesn't even deserve to be there based on merit wins a lot of time anyways, which IMO is a fraudulent champion of Canadian Junior Hockey. They know in advance they are guaranteed a spot and to "go for it", they get a long rest if they don't win their league championship, they get to play in their home arena with the crowd in place.

The Memorial Cup is flawed because of economic realities.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
OHL generally has the best high-end prospects, but would not say their teams are better overall.
Agreed.. people often overlook the diluting effect that comes with having 20, compared to 18 teams. That's two kids per team. It's even more dramatic in the WHL, with 22 teams. If you could compact the league's talent into fewer teams, you'll naturally have stronger teams.

Puck Blaster

May 8, 2022
Alberta
Agreed.. people often overlook the diluting effect that comes with having 20, compared to 18 teams. That's two kids per team. It's even more dramatic in the WHL, with 22 teams. If you could compact the league's talent into fewer teams, you'll naturally have stronger teams.
True. I don’t believe training European players in the CHL is best for Canadian hockey talent. European boys should play in there home country in their designated programs. Therefore I am positive each Canadian team would lose a couple of European players. Scale down size of the league. Example WHL Saskatchewan has population of Million and has 5 WHL teams. Swift Current Bronco, Moose Jaw Warriors, Regina Pats, Saskatoon Blades, Prince Albert Raiders. Alberta has 4.5 million population has 5 Tier 1 teams. Too many teams, too many foreigners.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
True. I don’t believe training European players in the CHL is best for Canadian hockey talent. European boys should play in there home country in their designated programs. Therefore I am positive each Canadian team would lose a couple of European players. Scale down size of the league. Example WHL Saskatchewan has population of Million and has 5 WHL teams. Swift Current Bronco, Moose Jaw Warriors, Regina Pats, Saskatoon Blades, Prince Albert Raiders. Alberta has 4.5 million population has 5 Tier 1 teams. Too many teams, too many foreigners.
Issue is that the WHL covers such a wide geographic area. It's also why you see so many western Canadian kids opt for Junior A and preserving NCAA eligibility instead. British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba and Saskatchewan collectively have about 2.5 million fewer people than Ontario alone, but typically around 33 % more NCAA players in a given year.

In Ontario, it's often kids not good enough to make an OHL roster, in Western Canada, you'll see many Jonathan Toews, Jaden Schwartz and Cale Makars go that route.

Last edited:
Reactions: voxel

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
4 th consecutive Memorial CUP win!!! The Quebec Rempart blast 10 NHL (which 5 were first rounders) drafted Seatle Thunderbirds players 5-0 in 2023 final. They allowed 1 goal in two games to the Thunderbirds!!!!

Maybe the LJHMQ is better than most are saying! Maybe their hockey mind (coach, GM and administrator are better than some are currently saying.... and maybe the NHLis booing the Q league for some reason that we will not say here!!!.... but one this is sure, this post is currently not aging well!!!!

Congrats to the 2023 Remparts.!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad