Confirmed with Link: The Purge: Bergevin, Timmins & Wilson out. Jeff Gorton in. (Part 2)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Martin Leclerc this morning on French radio said that from what he hears, the Habs asked Tampa permission to speak with Darche. He said there is no word on if Tampa granted it because no one is answering the question when it was asked.

Curious if they'll ask Anaheim permission to speak with Madden Jr as well and see if they want to hire either of them.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Martin Leclerc this morning on French radio said that from what he hears, the Habs asked Tampa permission to speak with Darche. He said there is no word on if Tampa granted it because no one is answering the question when it was asked.

Curious if they'll ask Anaheim permission to speak with Madden Jr as well and see if they want to hire either of them.

I'm having a hard time understanding what makes Darche a top candidate? From what I see he has 3 years of NHL office experience with a team that was already built and ready to contend when he got there. Seems like Madden Jr. is infinitely more qualified than him. Maybe somebody can enlighten me as to why Darche is in the running?

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I'm having a hard time understanding what makes Darche a top candidate? From what I see he has 3 years of NHL office experience with a team that was already built and ready to contend when he got there. Seems like Madden Jr. is infinitely more qualified than him. Maybe somebody can enlighten me as to why Darche is in the running?

French and in a hockey ops role.

That's literally the criteria.

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
French and in a hockey ops role.

That's literally the criteria.

Ya I get that. But even within those parameters he seems pretty marginally qualified to me. Madden Jr. is french and has 20+ years of experience. There has to be a few more french front office guys with more than 3 years experience out there...

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

I also feel Madden Jr. has more experience for this gig.

As for Darche, I can't tell you what makes him qualified enough to get a look. But here is an article of French-speaking NHL GM candidates in The Province: 15 French-speaking NHL general manager candidates | The Province

Here is the section for Darche:

Joining the Tampa Bay Lightning in 2019, Darche has quickly learned what it takes to win. The former NHLer has helped lead the team to two consecutive Stanley Cups. In between his careers in the NHL, Darche worked for Delmar International, a Canadian customs broker based in Montreal, as vice president of sales and marketing. He also served five years on the board of Ronald McDonald House and six years as a television analyst on RDS. In his current role with the Lightning, he works closely with GM Julien Brisebois to handle budgeting, negotiation, and execution of player contracts, scheduling, and salary cap tracking.

Here is what they write about Madden Jr.:

The son of former Nordiques GM, Martin Madden, Jr., is in his 14th season with the Anaheim Ducks and his second as assistant general manager. Madden oversees the team’s professional and amateur scouting and is known for his role in stocking the Ducks’ prospect cupboards. Two years ago, Madden was pursued heavily by the Seattle Kraken GM Ron Francis (Madden was a key scout on the Carolina Hurricanes’ Cup-winning team in 2006), ultimately leading to his promotion with the Ducks. Since becoming AGM, Madden’s role has increased to involvement in hockey operations and initiatives, including evaluating other NHL clubs. Madden, an amateur scout for the QMJHL’s Halifax Mooseheads while completing his MBA in Finance at HEC Montreal, was also an amateur scout for the New York Rangers for seven seasons. He received a bachelor’s degree in engineering from McGill University and currently lives in Quebec City.

And while we're at it, here is what is written for Luongo:

One of three in NHL history to play more than 1,000 games, the Montreal native is one of the greatest goaltenders ever. Luongo ranks third all-time in wins and won two Olympic gold medals and two World Championships for Canada. Officially retiring in 2019, Luongo was hired by his longtime team, the Florida Panthers, as the club’s Special Advisor to the General Manager. Since then, Luongo’s responsibilities have increased. He now oversees the Panthers’ Goaltending Excellence Department and is an assistant general manager on Canada’s men’s 2022 Olympic team.

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Ya I get that. But even within those parameters he seems pretty marginally qualified to me. Madden Jr. is french and has 20+ years of experience. There has to be a few more french front office guys with more than 3 years experience out there...

Not really. At the pro GM-level, Bergevin and Brisebois are the only ones from QC. Dorion can be included but he's Franco-Ontarian.

Of the options otherwise, with pro-level management experience, it's just Madden Jr. and Darche. Guys like Luongo, Roy and all the other name drops don't have any pro GM experience.

Not to say there aren't good French speaking candidates, but for experienced NHL ones, there aren't many.

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007

I agree with you! Why Darche before Madden Jr? This baffles me.

Reactions: Picaroon

Picaroon

Apr 6, 2008
New Brunswick
Not really. At the pro GM-level, Bergevin and Brisebois are the only ones from QC. Dorion can be included but he's Franco-Ontarian.

Of the options otherwise, with pro-level management experience, it's just Madden Jr. and Darche. Guys like Luongo, Roy and all the other name drops don't have any pro GM experience.

Not to say there aren't good French speaking candidates, but for experienced NHL ones, there aren't many.

I would honestly be just as comfortable with someone who had extensive management experience in juniors or Europe or even an experienced agent. It seems to be yet another handicap to require 'Pro Managment" experience. Their search should extend throughout the hockey world imo. The link Adam Michaels provided has plenty of decent candidates who outshine Darche.

Reactions: zeeto

Frank Doby

Feb 6, 2008
Madden over Darche for sure. Tampa Bay was rebuilded by Yzerman, not by Brisebois and even less by Darche. They were only second role actor in the process of building Tampa Bay. What Montreal need is a good evaluator of talent, at the junior level and NHL level.

Reactions: Justin11

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
The GM will be based on where Gorton sees us going, if it's a rebuild then I can see us going the Madden route, if more contract based (retool) I think it's Darche

Reactions: HabsFan76

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal

He was a special Ass GM before that and he’s still implicate in the Philly management (what is kind of odd)

I'm good with bringing in Briere to have a role in Hockey Ops. Whether it's as an Assistant GM or something else. He can work with Laval and work with MA Bergeron for 3R.

Reactions: Vachon23

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
One takeaway from all this is with all the problems and finger pointing with drafting vs development (I say it was both), we got rid of two of the men directly responsible. Sly we already dumped to the curb, but he was hired under MB's watch.

Vachon23

Oct 14, 2015
Victoriaville

Luongo is a sort of AGM with the Panthers the last 3 seasons, he was Team Canada GM for the last WC and he's AGM for the OG. How does he have less pro GM experience then Darche ?

Reactions: VAN-HAB

sandviper

No Ragrets
Jan 26, 2016
Toronto
Luongo is a sort of AGM with the Panthers the last 3 seasons, he was Team Canada GM for the last WC and he's AGM for the OG. How does he have less pro GM experience then Darche ?

The AGM for OG was very recent, no? As for Florida, I didn't realize he was assistant advisor, I thought he was somewhere else in their management group.

FWIW, I'd rather Luongo than Darche anyways.

Reactions: Runner77

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad