the price of hockey

headsigh

leave at once!
Oct 5, 2008
Atlanta
ofthesouth.blogspot.com
A friend of mind posted this on an Atlanta based board. I'm cross posting it with his permission in hopes of finding more opinions and suggestions regarding the financial impact of trying to play- out of the big 4, I think hockey is the most expensive, and that's a blow to potential popularity.

My 15 year old son has taken quite an interest to hockey and is looking to play. We have found a rink and organization that's local, thank goodness. But we're at kind of a crossroads because of financial difficulties.

We are inner city middle class, lower middle class and we don't have a lot of money. Many of the locations offering hockey that are still registering are expensive, and we haven't even gotten USA hockey membership yet, and we have to pay for that too. Most places have us paying for jerseys, pants, too. On top of this there is the equipment prices. Currently my son's stick is a roller hockey stick that he got for 15 dollars. We don't know if pads are supplied or not, but most look to be way out of our price range. Skates are something we might be able to find, but only in the clearance section (I haven't resorted to looking at eBay lots- yet).

This is really tough for us, because without the gear, our son can't play. Does anyone know of any stores to find low priced hockey equipment or an alternative? I am dreading that I may have to simply tell him we don't have the money for this sport.

Any answers to his questions would help as well. He doesn't have an account here, but lurks.

Stickmata

Aug 30, 2011
First thing I'd suggest is ask the league if they offer any type of financial assistance programs and/or can assist with some used gear. I believe some leagues will provide assistance and also accept donated gear that they distribute. Don't be afraid to ask. Second, check CraigsList for used gear or a 2nd hand sporting goods store. Around here Play It Again Sports sells second hand gear cheap. But don't buy stuff that doesn't fit just because it's cheap. You'll just wind up buying it twice.

Hockey people like to share and help out each other, so I'm sure if you make it known that your son wants to play but just can't afford all the gear, people will step up to help out. BTW, you might want to post up his size on here. You might be able to get some donations from people on this board.

mhkehoe

Nov 18, 2010
First thing I'd suggest is ask the league if they offer any type of financial assistance programs and/or can assist with some used gear. I believe some leagues will provide assistance and also accept donated gear that they distribute. Don't be afraid to ask. Second, check CraigsList for used gear or a 2nd hand sporting goods store. Around here Play It Again Sports sells second hand gear cheap. But don't buy stuff that doesn't fit just because it's cheap. You'll just wind up buying it twice.

Hockey people like to share and help out each other, so I'm sure if you make it known that your son wants to play but just can't afford all the gear, people will step up to help out. BTW, you might want to post up his size on here. You might be able to get some donations from people on this board.

Lots of kids hockey stuff appears on Craigslist. A lot of the stuff looks like it is 5-10 years old, but it good condition. It has just been sitting in someone's garage since their kid outgrew it.

And that is the great thing about kids hockey gear. Because they out grow it so far, it is barely used unless it has been handed down a few times. As mentioned, Play It Again Sports is good if they carry hockey stuff. Mine doesn't anymore, but when I started ice about 15 years ago, that is where my parents got my hockey pants and shoulder pads.

Wile E Coyotes

Oct 29, 2009
Arizona
Look at websites like icewarehouse and hockeymonkey.. When I got back into playing hockey, I was able to get a complete set of new "entry level" gear for $350-400. Does the job for me and I don't have to wear worn out gear.

Cowbell232

Jun 20, 2008
New Jersey
Talking to youth coaches and finding used equipment from kids that are growing out of theirs might be your best option.

For expensive as hockey is, the people involved with it tend to want to get as many people involved as possible and will tend to help out whenever they can. There is a lot of good will and giving involved with this sport. The hardest part is swallowing a bit of pride and asking for this help - but I can assure you that up here in NJ at least I don't see people being looked down on for asking for this help, but rather praised for doing everything possible for their children to be happy.

McDugan

Jun 29, 2010
What size is your son? And is he playing ice or roller? I have a couple pieces of used and worn but clean and still protective ice gear that I'll never wear (adult med. and large stuff) and would be happy to give away, if given an address to send to.

Noir

Aug 27, 2009
Vancouver, CAN
I feel for the kid. I played until the end of Pee-Wee before I was pulled out of the system (from what I remember was due to cost).

I wasn't able to pick up the sport again until 5 years ago in my mid 20's when I was earning my own money, with enough disposable income to actually start up again.

That was almost a decade of hockey black-out :(

budster

Schoolyard Puck
A friend of mind posted this on an Atlanta based board. I'm cross posting it with his permission in hopes of finding more opinions and suggestions regarding the financial impact of trying to play- out of the big 4, I think hockey is the most expensive, and that's a blow to potential popularity.

Any answers to his questions would help as well. He doesn't have an account here, but lurks.

Like others said, try craigslist or Play It Again if there's one in the area. There's no shame in used gear and once the kid starts playing, I'm sure some of his teammates will have old stuff for him to take/buy. The hard part is getting involved in the first place.

I would recommend paying for new skates, though. Everything else can be second hand.

Hobgoblin Steve

Bacon of Light
Feb 5, 2009
Bay Ridge
Ive got a whole bunch of stuff that will work for what he needs.

Ive got spare gloves, shins, elbows, probably even a chest protector somewhere. I KNOW I have a pair of skates that are too small/narrow for me (I got them for free and I think(think) they were new/barely used), and Ill never use em. Moneys tight for me too, so all id ask is the shipping cost. PM me if your friend is interested.

edit:might even have a helmet too

Im located in Brooklyn, NY.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad