Line Combos: The Powerplay. What to do?

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
JVR and Bozak are big parts of our top PP unit. It seems very likely that both will be leaving this summer. The way Babcock deploys them 5 on 5 makes it very clear he doesnt trust them, and for good reason. It would be the smart move to move on from both of them.

If they do end up leaving that changes our powerplay situation considerably.

It seems clear to me Marner will be on the top unit...but who does he play with? IMO it seems likely Matthews will play on the top PP with Marner. The question is does Nylander run the 2nd unit without Matthews? Or do we absolutely stack our top unit ala Pitsburgh/Washington. The problem is Nylander/Marner/Matthews all like playing the halfwall and there is only 2 players that can do that. I think Matthews would make for a tremendous man in the middle slot shooter. But Kadri has been really good there and producing a lot of goals from that spot with Marner passing to him. I dont think Kadri or Matthews should play the JVR front of the net role either.

I would personally do this:
PP1:
Marleau
Matthews Kadri Marner
Rielly

PP2:
Grundstrom
Kapanen Johnsson Nylander
Gardiner

Let me know what you guys would do...Definitely an intriguing decision and could change depending on personnel changes...Tavares:sarcasm:

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
JVR and Bozak are big parts of our top PP unit. It seems very likely that both will be leaving this summer. The way Babcock deploys them 5 on 5 makes it very clear he doesnt trust them, and for good reason. It would be the smart move to move on from both of them.

If they do end up leaving that changes our powerplay situation considerably.

It seems clear to me Marner will be on the top unit...but who does he play with? IMO it seems likely Matthews will play on the top PP with Marner. The question is does Nylander run the 2nd unit without Matthews? Or do we absolutely stack our top unit ala Pitsburgh/Washington. The problem is Nylander/Marner/Matthews all like playing the halfwall and there is only 2 players that can do that. I think Matthews would make for a tremendous man in the middle slot shooter. But Kadri has been really good there and producing a lot of goals from that spot with Marner passing to him. I dont think Kadri or Matthews should play the JVR front of the net role either.

I would personally do this:
PP1:
Marleau
Matthews Kadri Marner
Rielly

PP2:
Grundstrom
Kapanen Johnsson Nylander
Gardiner

Let me know what you guys would do...Definitely an intriguing decision and could change depending on personnel changes...Tavares:sarcasm:
I think you've nailed the first unit.
They need to try and recreate the effectiveness of our previous #1 PP unit. Do they go about it trying to mimic the type of players they had before and filling in the gaps or do they try to find a new way to use their players. I think you're right in keeping Marner and Kadri in their spots. I know Marleau had a down year powerplay wise but he's usually a decent option on the PP. (He's averaged 20 PP points the previous 5 years but had 9 this year). I'm not sure if they're going to try Matthews in front because it does kind of make sense. He's a big enough body to screen goalies, he's got the hand-eye coordination to tip pucks and grab those rebounds. It would not let him use his passing or shooting as effectively which is kind of a big waste though. Maybe if Leivo stays he could run it or even potentially Hyman could be in front. Got no problems with your #1 unit, I'd guess that to be the unit they go with too. As far as the 2nd unit goes maybe it could go something like this.

PP2
Hyman
Leivo-Johnsson-Nylander
Gardiner

I'm not sure where Tavares plays on the PP but you're right that'd change a lot of things.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Stack it.

Matthews
Nylander-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Matthews can handle the JVR net front role just fine, if not better. He's got the size and the hands. Nylander and Marner are both excellent at handling the puck and making plays from their respective boards, Willy on the left side and Marner on the right. Rielly to quarterback obviously and Kadri wherever.

Leave PP1 out there for 90 seconds and let the most talented players on the team work their magic.

blueberrie

Mar 23, 2010
Kadri is sneaky good at tipping pucks too. Get him and Matthew constantly cycling from high and low slot to open seams, Marner to make the magic happen and let Nylander disappear for a trigger man option on his off wing.

Reactions: SniperOnTheWing

Walshy7

Sep 18, 2016
Toronto
Stack it.

Matthews
Nylander-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Matthews can handle the JVR net front role just fine, if not better. He's got the size and the hands. Nylander and Marner are both excellent at handling the puck and making plays from their respective boards, Willy on the left side and Marner on the right. Rielly to quarterback obviously and Kadri wherever.

Leave PP1 out there for 90 seconds and let the most talented players on the team work their magic.

Marner and nylander both have skill sets to thrive on a pp. putting one on that lesser unit will be taking away one of their greatest assets it makes no sense. A stacked 1st unit is the way to go

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
If I had some say, I'd go towards a more classic ice time distribution, and stack our first unit:

Matthews - Slot guy that can move down low to the right when Marner has the puck.
Marner - Runs the PP from the right boards.
Nylander - Option along the left boards, that sneaks into the high slot when Matthews moves down low.
Kadri - Net front presence focused on screens, deflections and sneaking back door for tip plays.
Gardiner - Point guy.

I'm sure people want Rielly there too. I did so at first too, but then I figured that all I actually want that point guy to do is keep mobile along the line and distribute the puck down towards the main playmaking threats. Better then to have Rielly have a more free role on the second unit perhaps.

Then you make a second unit out of Brown, Johnsson, Rielly and whomever with some talent remains with the general idea to get shots away from the sides and then just attack the net. Go for volume and pressure, which has been a surprisingly effective PP strategy.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Kadri
Nylander - Matthews
Rielly - Marner

second unit doesn't really matter but it should have Johnsson, Kapanen, and Marleau

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Stack it.

Matthews
Nylander-Kadri-Marner
Rielly

Only thing I don't like about Matthews in the JVR spot is that he'll be getting constantly crosschecked in the back. Bad injury to re-aggravate.

SniperOnTheWing

Apr 28, 2017
Only thing I don't like about Matthews in the JVR spot is that he'll be getting constantly crosschecked in the back. Bad injury to re-aggravate.

Then put Kadri in front to tip pucks and do his pest thing, Matthews can roam the slot or cycle. He can score from anywhere anyway.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Just having Komarov off of it will help

A nice shot from the point would be nice too

Even Hyman will be an upgrade over Komarov, so even in the worst case, we improve.

I really hope Babcock uses Kapanen & Johnsson on the powerplay.

Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
Rielly - Nylander

Marleau - Kadri - Hyman?/Brown?
Gardiner - Kapanen

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Even Hyman will be an upgrade over Komarov, so even in the worst case, we improve.

I really hope Babcock uses Kapanen & Johnsson on the powerplay.

Johnsson - Matthews - Marner
Rielly - Nylander

Marleau - Kadri - Hyman?/Brown?
Gardiner - Kapanen

Johnsson was used in Kadri's position when Kadri was out so I assume he's going to be tried there on the 2nd unit.

I'm not too sure about Kapanen on the powerplay to be honest. He seems to be more of a north south player to me and not one to set up plays on the half wall. Maybe he's used as a one timer option on the left side. It'll be interesting to see how they try it.

Brobust

Sep 29, 2017
Bozak isn't a big part of the PP unit. He's a secondary piece and won't be missed.

To replace JVR, my solution would be move Kadri into JVR's spot in the slot and move Matthews to Kadri's spot in the high slot.

Next year's PP units.

Kapanen - Matthews - Kadri - Marner - Rielly
Johnsson - Marleau - Leivo - Nylander - Gardiner/Dermott/Zaitsev

On the 2nd unit, you have three guys who can play down low in Johnsson, Marleau and Leivo.

Personally, I want Zaitsev on the PP over Gardiner/Dermott. Not because he's better but because I think it'll help his confidence and improve his offensive instincts.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Bozak isn't a big part of the PP unit. He's a secondary piece and won't be missed.

To replace JVR, my solution would be move Kadri into JVR's spot in the slot and move Matthews to Kadri's spot in the high slot.

Next year's PP units.

Kapanen - Matthews - Kadri - Marner - Rielly
Johnsson - Marleau - Leivo - Nylander - Gardiner/Dermott/Zaitsev

On the 2nd unit, you have three guys who can play down low in Johnsson, Marleau and Leivo.

Personally, I want Zaitsev on the PP over Gardiner/Dermott. Not because he's better but because I think it'll help his confidence and improve his offensive instincts.

Bozak had 13 PPP all season long. It's shockingly bad for a guy that was spoon fed so much PP time.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Kapanen and Johnsson have to be given prominent roles on the power play. They both have better one timers then marner, nylander, Matthew's, kadri, Marleau etc. We have to use these guys in all situations. Kapanen is not a pure defensive forward. He should be getting quality time on the power play. He has a deadly shot and will be able to show his vision on the pp. Johnsson is also another player with great skill that needs offensive oppritnuties.

Pp1

Kapanen(one time shooter)-Matthews-marleau
Rielly-marner

PP2
Johnsson-kadri-brown/leivo
Gardiner/zaitsev-nylander

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
Try to recreate last year's PP with Matthews replacing JVR and someone like Brown/Aaltonen replacing Bozak

Then 2nd PP should be

Right wall: Nylander
Net: Johnsson
Left wall: Kapanen
Bozak role: Marleau
D: Gardiner

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
For the 2nd unit maybe, the 1st did really well with Rielly there quarter backing the PP with Marner.
No, for the 1st unit.

Adds another dimension to defend. Would open up players below the hashmarks.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
No, for the 1st unit.

Adds another dimension to defend. Would open up players below the hashmarks.
Rielly was tied with Subban for 6th for pp points by a dman. He works the powerplay differently but is still very effective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad