Post-Game Talk: The Powerhouse @ Canucks - 10 PM|MSG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
Maybe they saw it as not intentioal and as I mentioned earlier Kreider don`t have that reputation at all in NHL 5k $ is quite a dinnner though, but nothing for a 1st line winger in NHL concerning their overall budget. :)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
You guys are wrong. Match penalties are not judgement based. The rule book for the NHL clearly says,( rule 58.4) "A match penalty shall be imposed on a player or goalkeeper who injures an opponent as a result of a butt-end." So if the Refs decided this was a butt-end and the player was injured, they must give this penalty. No judgement here-- it' a rule book penalty!

I'm more curious about why it was called a butt end to begin with considering the whole sequence of events. Lemieux certainly wasn't expecting the guy to get tripped into him, he (in my opinion) didn't push out his stick at Roussell's head, he just pulled his arms in to brace for the collision. Seems like the ref say an awkward collision with a players head hitting another players hand area and it resulted in an injury (even though the injury was to his knee) and decided to call it a butt end.

JHS

Oct 11, 2013
I'm more curious about why it was called a butt end to begin with considering the whole sequence of events. Lemieux certainly wasn't expecting the guy to get tripped into him, he (in my opinion) didn't push out his stick at Roussell's head, he just pulled his arms in to brace for the collision. Seems like the ref say an awkward collision with a players head hitting another players hand area and it resulted in an injury (even though the injury was to his knee) and decided to call it a butt end.

I agree it looked like a bad call. I was just attempting to explain why the match was called. The rule is clear, if an injury occurs because of a butt-end the Ref must give the match. I think some people assume the ref needs to assume intent to assess the more severe penalties only when it is clear the player wanted to hurt the other player. That’s not true! It’s clear Lemieux did not itend to hurt the player in this case but his action( butt-ending) caused the injury so they were left with no other choice.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
If we ever do trade Chris--it should be to the Canucks and then maybe Penguin Gudbranson will come along and kill him for the elbow on Pettersson.

It's not the usual for the NHL to apologize for the on ice officials. The apology to the Rangers a week or so ago for Zibanejad was very unusual. This call was if anything even more bizarre. Would the NHL apologize to us again. At a certain point then I would think we would get something from the league if they're going to be apologizing to us all the time.

Why did TSN say Lemieux hit Roussel from behind? Did they even watch the play?

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
If we ever do trade Chris--it should be to the Canucks and then maybe Penguin Gudbranson will come along and kill him for the elbow on Pettersson.

It's not the usual for the NHL to apologize for the on ice officials. The apology to the Rangers a week or so ago for Zibanejad was very unusual. This call was if anything even more bizarre. Would the NHL apologize to us again. At a certain point then I would think we would get something from the league if they're going to be apologizing to us all the time.

Why did TSN say Lemieux hit Roussel from behind? Did they even watch the play?
Yeah hit from behind :rolleyes:

They are doing anything to try and vilify Lemieux

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
I have never been more petty when it comes to waiting for a business formal statement of rescission from a letterhead representation of Gary Bettman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad