Line Combos: The "Power Play"

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
What would you like to see on the power play? Things need to change I can't take it anymore!!

0 - 5 on 4 goals
1 - 4 on 3 in OT

4.8% 2nd last.

But it's only 7gp!

13.4% last year. Better but still 2nd last.

6yeizt.jpg

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'd like to see young guys get more opportunities, better puck movement and more aggressive shot selection.

That said, Montreal is rebuilding, I'd be pretty happy if Montreal's PP woes leads to a top-5 pick and a lower contract ask from Caufield. Being nitpicky about short term concerns seems counterproductive to me.

xX SEYF Xx

Apr 5, 2022
Montreal
I'd like to see young guys get more opportunities, better puck movement and more aggressive shot selection.

That said, Montreal is rebuilding, I'd be pretty happy if Montreal's PP woes leads to a top-5 pick and a lower contract ask from Caufield. Being nitpicky about short term concerns seems counterproductive to me.
Why I dont mind Burrows sticking around this year.
I'd be more than pissed off if he survives another summer tho!!

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
What would you like to see on the power play? Things need to change I can't take it anymore!!

0 - 5 on 4 goals
1 - 4 on 3 in OT

4.8% 2nd last.

But it's only 7gp!

6yeizt.jpg
I think lack of offensive defenseman. They usually on teams with good powerplay, not a fluke

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Perhaps one of the more Hockey detailed posters around here can tell me why it isn't done but Why not use two Defensemen? Xhekaj and Ghule supposedly have good shots so why not use them. perhaps put one of them in a one timer position in one of the circles?

Reactions: Rapala and Mandala

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Perhaps one of the more Hockey detailed posters around here can tell me why it isn't done but Why not use two Defensemen? Xhekaj and Ghule supposedly have good shots so why not use them. perhaps put one of them in a one timer position in one of the circles?
Teams don't do that anymore, it's "out of vogue".

Also, MSL doesn't appear interested in using the rookies on the PP. I suspect the team is using the PP as candies to keep the vets happy on the team.

Reactions: Mandala

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Teams don't do that anymore, it's "out of vogue".

Also, MSL doesn't appear interested in using the rookies on the PP. I suspect the team is using the PP as candies to keep the vets happy on the team.
The vets..............are the reason the PP sucks......not sure we would wanna keep that crew happy. Giving them millions for nothing in return should take care of that.
Look to the future, and off to the races. Pukes like Hoffman, Drouin, are not the future.......so this is a pretty easy fix.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Our PP struggles as we water down our best players over 2 units, there isn't lot of movement and we lack someone up high who is a threat to shoot.

I'd be interested if Adam Boqvist would be available from Columbus as they've scratched him a few games. He's got a good shot, can skate, move the puck and he's only 22.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

Yup! More shot aggression and higher intensity. Way too much tentative play and wasting too much time with the circle back in their own end.

Their not terrible once they gain possession but gaining possession in the offensive end takes them way too long. At the end of the day, we lack puck possession forwards and also a PP QB at the point. It's been like this for years.

Our PP struggles as we water down our best players over 2 units, there isn't lot of movement and we lack someone up high who is a threat to shoot.

I'd be interested if Adam Boqvist would be available from Columbus as they've scratched him a few games. He's got a good shot, can skate, move the puck and he's only 22.

Boqvist is not going to turn the needle for us. He's not better than Harris.

• Haha
Reactions: WeThreeKings

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I think the main issues with the power play are twofold. Firstly the zone entries haven’t been great, as well even if we win the initial draw it often leaves the zone which is bad luck. Establishing offensive possession is the first order of business.

Secondly, it seems players are forcing plays that leads to turnovers. There needs to be patience in regards to making that first high reward play, and this seems to be getting better though you can now almost see hesitation in order to avoid the turnover.

I think we have some good pieces to get it going. Suzuki, Caufield, and Monahan is a good trio and each guy has a distinct role, while Suzuki and Monahan can rotate on face offs depending on what side the draw is on.

In terms of what we need to add to those three guy and how to structure formation there are options. As much as a left handed QB like Hutson would be nice, Suzuki seems to be great in that role from the other side. I now think a big left handed shot ala Souray would be just what the doctor ordered, as right now the opposing PK isn’t respecting the point shot and collapsing downlow, leaving less room for cross ice passes to Caufield which should be option one. Would be nice if Guhle could be that guy, but he needs to establish that threat and get that respect first.

In terms of the 5th guy, that all depends. As much as Hoffman makes sense as a left handed sniper, he’s doing too much right now and doesn’t have the space he needs to be effective. If that big point shot opens things up, we could see it really benefit our snipers. Having Dach down low as a playmaker wouldn’t hurt either. Again, it’s all about finding the right balance, and the first order of business after establishing zone possession should be establishing the threat of a shot from the point to open things up in the slot.

Reactions: Team_Spirit

Playmaker09

Sep 11, 2008
Yup, this is it. Took 1 post for the perfect answer

Yeah Winnipeg/Edmonton style, with a strong side passer on the half-wall, is probably our best bet.

Monahan (Stastny)
Caufield-Suzuki-Dach (Laine-Scheifele-Wheeler)
Guhle (Buff)

Ideally it's a RHD at the point, but I'm done with Wideman.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
1st wave (for 90 seconds)

Caufield-Suzuki-Monahan

Ghule-Dach

2nd wave, mix and match with the best of the rest.

Looks less complicated than what it was? Vince is impressed bud

giphy.gif

0 - 5 on 4 goals
1 - 4 on 3 in OT

4.8% 2nd last.

But it's only 7gp!

6yeizt.jpg

Nah... he thinking about other men :laugh:

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
No don't fix anything..please leave pp as is. This will ensure us a top 5 pick.

RealityHurts

Feb 24, 2020
Why isn't Burrows fired yet?

I've never seen anyone with such underwhelming results in extended periods of time. What is this plot armor? He's practically immune to unenployment.

Reactions: Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton

Mar 17, 2022
Why I dont mind Burrows sticking around this year.
I'd be more than pissed off if he survives another summer tho!!
It’s hard to fire your buddies, just ask Bergevin.

Why isn't Burrows fired yet?

I've never seen anyone with such underwhelming results in extended periods of time. What is this plot armor? He's practically immune to unenployment.
It’s hard to fire your buddies, the Bergevin special

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad