The power play without Kessel this season

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
The fact you included Schultz and even Kessel with Gonchar makes me question your take.

It’s been proven Letang is a better PP D than Schultz for awhile now.

When Letang's healthy Schultz gets less use. I'd probably rank them pretty close. I'd say Schultz's one timing is better as well as finding lanes is better.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
When Letang's healthy Schultz gets less use. I'd probably rank them pretty close. I'd say Schultz's one timing is better as well as finding lanes is better.

His one timer is more of the “traditional” slap shot you’ve seen popularized in the 90s. Thing is that isn’t effective anymore as can be seen by Nashville’s league worst PP.

For being “so good” at shooting on the PP it’s funny how Schultz has 5 PP goals in four seasons here. For reference Letang has 13 in that time span.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
His one timer is more of the “traditional” slap shot you’ve seen popularized in the 90s. Thing is that isn’t effective anymore as can be seen by Nashville’s league worst PP.

For being “so good” at shooting on the PP it’s funny how Schultz has 5 PP goals in four seasons here. For reference Letang has 13 in that time span.

His one timer is no hesitation, no double clutching, and are you really gonna use the amount when Letang clearly gets the advantage on the top PP and Schultz was injured? I sure hope he would have more.

C'mon...

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
His one timer is no hesitation, no double clutching, and are you really gonna use the amount when Letang clearly gets the advantage on the top PP and Schultz was injured? I sure hope he would have more.

C'mon...

Schultz had one PP goal in 2017 when Letang wasn’t around.

This is just a dumbass narrative Pens fans want to spew because who knows why?

In terms of goal production on the PP and games played, Letang is a top five talent in the league over the past three years. Which is remarkable given he was recovering from a neck injury one of those years and injured half of the other one.

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Schultz had one PP goal in 2017 when Letang wasn’t around.

This is just a dumbass narrative Pens fans want to spew because who knows why?

When Letang went down later in the season you might want to add some when they hit the playoffs. Schultz was pretty good from that point on who just got back being out 4 games that year. He got 5 PPG and 14 PPP from then through the playoffs. That pretty much puts him on q for what Letang did that season in 41 games and more goals.

I got 5 without Letang around.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
When Letang went down later in the season you might want to add some when they hit the playoffs. Schultz was pretty good from that point on who just got back being out 4 games that year. He got 5 PPG and 14 PPP from then through the playoffs. That pretty much puts him on q for what Letang did that season in 41 games and more goals.

I got 5 without Letang around.

Ah your right.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I'm comfortable taking our chances on Guentzel. And to a lesser degree Galchenyuk. To be honest I'd prefer the Pens used both of them and took Hornqvist off of PP1. Come at me, @ColePens!

I hope it works out, but I think Kessel's going to be a lot harder to replace with the man-advantage than is being acknowledged. He's a world-class PP producer whose right-handedness was the key to opening up our half-ice game.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I'm comfortable taking our chances on Guentzel. And to a lesser degree Galchenyuk. To be honest I'd prefer the Pens used both of them and took Hornqvist off of PP1. Come at me, @ColePens!

I hope it works out, but I think Kessel's going to be a lot harder to replace with the man-advantage than is being acknowledged. He's a world-class PP producer whose right-handedness was the key to opening up our half-ice game.

It really might not be a bad idea to throw change-ups out there so the PP doesn't get stale, or teams PK's can fixate on the usual.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
No more shorthanded goals against.

That's what they should focus on.

Oh. And shoot the ****ing puck.

The PP hardly felt like an advantage last year while the preceding couple it was very strong.

And it was all pretty much the same players. I can't explain their ineptitude last year. (It still was good when compared to league, but not good enough when compared with the Pens personnel and skill)

The power play doesn't have to be that complicated...

Also, I'd probably go with...

59/72 - 87 - 59/72
71 - 4

Keep it simple, stupid.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Kessel and Malkin’s giveaways were a huge reason for that.

Then yeah, go with Letang. I was suggesting Schultz because he usually opts for the simpler play (and has a bomb of a shot). I know there was a point where we lobbied to have him over Tanger on the first unit.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
The fact you included Schultz and even Kessel with Gonchar makes me question your take.

It’s been proven Letang is a better PP D than Schultz for awhile now.

PROVEN? I'd like to see your source

Even if fancy stats are equal, the eye test gives the edge to Schultz

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
PROVEN? I'd like to see your source

Even if fancy stats are equal, the eye test gives the edge to Schultz

The eye test here is pretty harsh to Letang here on the PP though. I've lost count of the complaints about him shooting into people's shins - then Jesse came out with stats saying that Letang was one of the best at getting his shot through on the NHL.

In any case, I don't have time to look at the numbers properly, but over the last three years the full strength 1st PP unit has scored (5v4 numbers only) at 10.09 g/60 and conceded at 2.19 with Letang; 12.45 and 0.41 with Schultz. So the numbers would seem to suggest maybe Schultz is the right choice there after all; but things get different when you start doing it season by season and noticing the tiny samples.

Reactions: Andy99

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The eye test here is pretty harsh to Letang here on the PP though. I've lost count of the complaints about him shooting into people's shins - then Jesse came out with stats saying that Letang was one of the best at getting his shot through on the NHL.

In any case, I don't have time to look at the numbers properly, but over the last three years the full strength 1st PP unit has scored (5v4 numbers only) at 10.09 g/60 and conceded at 2.19 with Letang; 12.45 and 0.41 with Schultz. So the numbers would seem to suggest maybe Schultz is the right choice there after all; but things get different when you start doing it season by season and noticing the tiny samples.

Schultz and Letang have different but necessary skill sets on the PP...it’s why I favor having them both on PP1 if possible, with Letang taking over Phil’s spot... and by that I mean if Petts can man the point on PP2...

kladorf2005

Apr 20, 2018
OP asks about the PP without Kessel? That's easy:
  • We won't lead the league in giving up shorties
  • We won't be watching the PP while having this feeling like we're the ones short handed
  • We'll probably cash in on a few more one-timers

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad