The Power Play - or lack thereof

What's wrong with the PP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I'm not going to go into pointing out the problems of the PP, i'm going to offer a solution because that is they type of MAN I am.

Hear me out...

What this team needs to utilize on the POWER play is the mystical and divine healing powers of CHAKRA CRYSTALS.

I will suggest to the coaching staff that each member of the POWER play wear a specific type of crystal to harbor the powers they contain.

The players are free to wear the crystals however they like, but they must be on their body. Ideally they should have them implanted on their forehead between their eyes. This will increase the effectiveness of the healing POWER. The rapper LIL UZI VERT perfected this technique, though he made a misstep of choosing a diamond, a non-healing stone.

There are 7 main chakras. I will make some suggestions from these, but ultimately there may be a trial and error to find the perfect BALANCE between players as a unit and the players themselves.

Svechnikov & Pacioretty: Honey Calcite to increate the POWER and CONFIDENCE of their shots.

Aho & Teravainen: Angelite to further increase COMMUNICATION between the two. They are already great at reading each other on the ice. I am thinking this may increase the ESP between the two, like twin TELEPATHY. Think about the potential of having two prime Sedins on the POWER play.

Noesen & Kotkaniemi: Sodalite to increase INTUITION. This will help them in front of the net with deflections.

Pesce & Burns: Amerthyst to increase KNOWLEDGE and INTELLIGENCE. As defensemen QB-ing the POWER play we need someone making the correct moves distributing the puck. I think Burns in general could use this 5v5 as well.

Stastny: Carnelian. Stastny has been lifeless all year. Carnelian as been know to increase PASSION and sensuality.

Necas & Jarvis: Green Opal. This stone is often associated with good LUCK. This stone will increase lucky bounces that hopefully they can cash in on.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
Best idea to fix the pp I've ever seen tbh

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I'm not going to go into pointing out the problems of the PP, i'm going to offer a solution because that is they type of MAN I am.

Hear me out...

What this team needs to utilize on the POWER play is the mystical and divine healing powers of CHAKRA CRYSTALS.

I will suggest to the coaching staff that each member of the POWER play wear a specific type of crystal to harbor the powers they contain.

The players are free to wear the crystals however they like, but they must be on their body. Ideally they should have them implanted on their forehead between their eyes. This will increase the effectiveness of the healing POWER. The rapper LIL UZI VERT perfected this technique, though he made a misstep of choosing a diamond, a non-healing stone.

There are 7 main chakras. I will make some suggestions from these, but ultimately there may be a trial and error to find the perfect BALANCE between players as a unit and the players themselves.

Svechnikov & Pacioretty: Honey Calcite to increate the POWER and CONFIDENCE of their shots.

Aho & Teravainen: Angelite to further increase COMMUNICATION between the two. They are already great at reading each other on the ice. I am thinking this may increase the ESP between the two, like twin TELEPATHY. Think about the potential of having two prime Sedins on the POWER play.

Noesen & Kotkaniemi: Sodalite to increase INTUITION. This will help them in front of the net with deflections.

Pesce & Burns: Amerthyst to increase KNOWLEDGE and INTELLIGENCE. As defensemen QB-ing the POWER play we need someone making the correct moves distributing the puck. I think Burns in general could use this 5v5 as well.

Stastny: Carnelian. Stastny has been lifeless all year. Carnelian as been know to increase PASSION and sensuality.

Necas & Jarvis: Green Opal. This stone is often associated with good LUCK. This stone will increase lucky bounces that hopefully they can cash in on.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.
World heritage post

And I mean really, it wouldn't make the results any worse

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
I thought since we discuss this in a few other threads, it would be good to have 1 thread to discuss the PP.

For background:

- From 2019-2022 the Canes had the NHL's 5th best PP in the regular season at 23.1%
- The 2nd half (41 games) of last season, the Canes PP dipped to 18.9%, 22nd in the NHL during that stretch.
- Across the 3 playoffs from those 3 seasons, the Canes PP was just 14.7%. In contrast:
2019/20: BOS 22.2%
2020/21: TBL 32.4%
2021/22: NYR 32.1%
- Currently the PP is sitting at 18.3%, good for 26th in the NHL

So the question is, why is it so bad and what needs to be done?
Personnel change?
Strategy change?
Coaching change?
Other?

Discuss!
When the default is to put Necas and Svech on their natural sides so they have to skate in toward the center to get a better angle to shoot, it seems obvious this will happen. You give the defenders an extra second or so and that closes down the lanes and allows the goalie to square up.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
When the default is to put Necas and Svech on their natural sides so they have to skate in toward the center to get a better angle to shoot, it seems obvious this will happen. You give the defenders an extra second or so and that closes down the lanes and allows the goalie to square up.
But playing the off wing is hard. What you gain in shot speed, you lose in controlling the puck because you've got to play to your backhand so much more often. If the whole goal of the play is to get the puck to your stick for a one-timer, like with Ovi, that's fine -- but if you're trying to move the puck around, it's harder.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
But playing the off wing is hard. What you gain in shot speed, you lose in controlling the puck because you've got to play to your backhand so much more often. If the whole goal of the play is to get the puck to your stick for a one-timer, like with Ovi, that's fine -- but if you're trying to move the puck around, it's harder.

"It's harder". Isn't that the objective when trying to improve the PP?

Don't get up, I'll show myself out.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Two problems and my opinion on how to correct it,

1. lack of movement by players without the puck - some of the best PP has a playmaker behind the net and players moving around to get the pass and then either a shot or quick pass to the opposite side of the ice for a shot with the goalie movin. We need to get the goalies moving side to side before the shot

2. Lack of big body in front of net - Noesen sort of fits the bill, but often his goals come from the side of the net. Put a big body, like Staal or Slavin right in front of the goalie then quick puck movement will have the goalie reacting late or not seeing the puck at all, also. Those two are good at tipping the puck, which leads to more goals

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

1. lack of movement by players without the puck - some of the best PP has a playmaker behind the net and players moving around to get the pass and then either a shot or quick pass to the opposite side of the ice for a shot with the goalie movin. We need to get the goalies moving side to side before the shot

2. Lack of big body in front of net - Noesen sort of fits the bill, but often his goals come from the side of the net. Put a big body, like Staal or Slavin right in front of the goalie then quick puck movement will have the goalie reacting late or not seeing the puck at all, also. Those two are good at tipping the puck, which leads to more goals
Yep

We need one guy with his ass parked in front of the net, one guy working the blue line, and the other 3 in constant motion to pull the defense out of position.

Instead, lately it seems like we play to have 2 guys on the blue line, two guys in the circles, and a rover. Defense just parks it to clog the shooting lanes and watch us pass it for 90 seconds unable to get a good look.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Hear me out...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

You could ignite everybody's goddamned Kundalini in that group and its still not going to accomplish anything with KK out there.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
What frustrates me is that the team did play with constant motion on the PP with everyone cycling away from the puck to start the season last year and then inexplicably went away from it over the course of the year. When they employed it, our attack was relentless and we scored at a pretty darn good clip.

So it's really confusing on why they haven't gone back to that.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
What frustrates me is that the team did play with constant motion on the PP with everyone cycling away from the puck to start the season last year and then inexplicably went away from it over the course of the year. When they employed it, our attack was relentless and we scored at a pretty darn good clip.

So it's really confusing on why they haven't gone back to that.

It would be cool if one of the various media or bloggers did a detailed analysis / in depth breakdown of the PP for Carolina, showing what worked and what didn't with video examples (or does that exist).

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
This is usually why you don't want d-men or forwards playing their off side in the defensive end. Obviously it's harder to clear the puck and pass the puck to a teammate on your backhand. But when you have a powerplay and a man advantage, it actually makes more sense because forwards, especially ones skilled enough to play on a powerplay, should be able to play the puck on their backhand, and if they flub it, they still have a man advantage to chase the puck down and regain control.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006

Being a net front presence is more than being a big body. An effective net front presence has to be able to anticipate where the shot is coming from, have quick enough feet to move to the right spot without getting pushed around, have good hand/eye coordination, anticipate where a rebound is going, and be able to get to the rebound 1st and have the hands to put it home. Staal is a "big body", but he doesn't have most of those other attributes. We've tried him there in the past and he's not been overly effective because his hands aren't good enough.

I've suggested Slavin in the past, but the drawback there is the guy in that role takes a pounding. Do we want our 20+ min / night top pairing defensemen to spend another 4 min / game getting the shit beat out of him in front of the net? I think the negatives might outweigh the positives.

Noesen is the best we've got right now, but he's not in the same category offensively as guys like Kreider, Hyman, Bergeron, Tavares, etc...

Not every team that is successful on the PP has that guy though. TBL doesn't really. When I watch the Sabres, they often use Skinner in that role. Vancouver doesn't have that big net front guy either.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t think skill players think its hard to be off wing, they prefer it. Any guy who has lateral mobility loves it, they always try to cut to the middle rather than play to the back hand. Think of TT. A guy like him doesn’t lose puck control because he plays off wing. In terms of the pp it’s especially easier, once the offense is set up you don’t really receive passes to the backhand, you position your ass towards the boards and open your body up to receive all the passes on the forehand. If a pass goes to your backhand it was a bad pass or they were rushed giving it to you. In the set up you‘re always facing the play with the puck in a position to both pass or shoot, and you’ve got your head up a lot easier. I don’t think it’s as hard as you think, especially for pp guys.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I don’t think skill players think its hard to be off wing, they prefer it. Any guy who has lateral mobility loves it, they always try to cut to the middle rather than play to the back hand. Think of TT. A guy like him doesn’t lose puck control because he plays off wing. In terms of the pp it’s especially easier, once the offense is set up you don’t really receive passes to the backhand, you position your ass towards the boards and open your body up to receive all the passes on the forehand. If a pass goes to your backhand it was a bad pass or they were rushed giving it to you. In the set up you‘re always facing the play with the puck in a position to both pass or shoot, and you’ve got your head up a lot easier. I don’t think it’s as hard as you think, especially for pp guys.
Maybe not, but there's got to be a reason that they choose not to do it, and that's the most plausible reason I can think of. If it were that easy, then every skilled player would be playing the off-wing on the PP, and they don't. As far as I can tell, Patches is the only guy we have right now who regularly plays the off-wing on the PP.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Maybe not, but there's got to be a reason that they choose not to do it, and that's the most plausible reason I can think of. If it were that easy, then every skilled player would be playing the off-wing on the PP, and they don't. As far as I can tell, Patches is the only guy we have right now who regularly plays the off-wing on the PP.
I think the coaches choose the spots for them? I think the decision to choose those spots stems from having not a single guy who can crank a one timer consistently. Patches clearly can, there’s no hesitation there. I think with no previous great choice they got creative and looked for different ways, which led to plays like the left wing half boards guy doing a bump pass to either Aho or Svech who were close by at the top of the left circle. Svech would take a step in for a ripper wrist shot or Aho would hit a much easier to execute one timer. They don’t do that right now. They also don’t do the righty sitting on the left side goal line bumper play into the slot, and that one always got them chances. This year they don’t even do the cross ice passes started by Tony anymore. It seemed at first mostly based on getting it to Burns and letting him spam, and now it’s just guys static looking for the next open guy.

Otherwise it’s not unusual to see TT on the off side, Aho will rotate over there, I see Necas rotate to his sometimes. I think those guy like it and feel natural there so when the play developed and there’s a chance they go there. I think at times this year they’ve been starting the play there? I feel like Necas parks on that left wing half board a lot? I forget, before you guys got on this topic I hadn’t thought about who’s been off wing much since we don’t shoot a lot it tends not to matter, but it does make it easier to play catch and move it around if you’re on your off side.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014

Hear me out...

THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME.

This man is onto something. The Canes should hire him as a wellness advisor/secondary nutrition advisor.

Give the lads a bit of ginger tea in the am.....help them balance their doshas. They're clearly too oily and need to increase their pitta.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
*checks league PP standings....

I'm not sure we have much to lose by trying them the other way. It doesn't matter to me which way they don't score at this point, either taking too long to shoot or misplaying the puck on their backhand seems pretty equivalent.

It would be cool if one of the various media or bloggers did a detailed analysis / in depth breakdown of the PP for Carolina, showing what worked and what didn't with video examples (or does that exist).
I bet if there was some retired guy that was good with number, he'd do a good job.

Alas, we wait.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
When the PP was good, Turbo ran it. He has been brutal at everything this year. Shockingly the PP sucks.

I need to see what it looks like with Max for more than a week because he’s the type of player that opens up different options. Also Sjkei has 9 f***ing goals, the hell with Pesce on PP 2. If you need an extra righty on the ice pit Necas and Jarvis on the same unit.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
*checks league PP standings....

I'm not sure we have much to lose by trying them the other way. It doesn't matter to me which way they don't score at this point, either taking too long to shoot or misplaying the puck on their backhand seems pretty equivalent.

I bet if there was some retired guy that was good with number, he'd do a good job.

Alas, we wait.
But it would require hours of watching video. I don't have the attention span for that.

Plus, I've gotten more woodworking projects that I can handle right now for family, friends, neighbors and our own house.

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
Necas has a good one timer and better than Svetch’s. If we can get Marty and Patches on either side clicking that will not only make them more dangerous but also open up the middle for burns’ rocket shots.

Still would need a better 2nd QB.

But it would require hours of watching video. I don't have the attention span for that.

Plus, I've gotten more woodworking projects that I can handle right now for family, friends, neighbors and our own house.
Woodworking: clapping as that’s a lost skill. My Dad did that before and after WW2 and we still have a number of his works in our home.

Last edited:

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Woodworking: clapping as that’s a lost skill. My Dad did that before and after WW2 and we still have a number of his works in our home.
My Dad wasn't a woodworker, but he was a complete DIY person and learned on the fly. Part of it was because we didn't have the money to hire things out, so he did it himself and learned on the fly. Part of it was he always liked to tinker with things. He used to always make my brother and I help, partially so we'd get the same DIY habits and partially because when he was underneath the truck on the dirt floor of our garage and needed a different wrench, we'd hand it to him. My grandfather was a big woodworker, complete with 2 missing fingers from a table-saw accident. I got the bug from him.

A funny story I told at my Dad's service. He taught my brother and I about spark plugs while changing them in the truck. One day, he told us to cut the lawn before going out and we bitched because we had already planned to have a baseball game with all the neighbor kids. We decided to blow off cutting the grass and say "The lawn-mower wouldn't start". Of course, he came home and started it in 1 pull so we paid the price after that.

The next time this happened, I told my brother we'd say the mower wouldn't start. He wanted no part of that since we got busted last time. I then took the spark-plug out and closed the gap to nothing. When my Dad got home, he was pissed at us initially, but when he went out to start the mower, it wouldn't start. He must have pulled it 50 times and finally gave up and we got in no trouble.

I didn't tell him about that until he was in his 70s.

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
You know the Power Play is kinda hopeless when my shitpost can get "ehh, can't hurt" reactions.

I personally have no confidence that it can be fixed, and plan to directly inject hopium into my veins that it can magically click come playoff time.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad