The Power Play - or lack thereof

What's wrong with the PP

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
So I watched Toronto last night, who started with 5 forwards on the PP. While the 2nd unit scored one of the PP goals on a simpler play (shoot from the point and put home the rebound) and the first unit scored one and gave up a shorty, I was more looking at how they "generally" operated. They also removed Bunting and put Rielly on the 1st unit for the goal they scored.

Generally, how they operated was that Tavares was basically the only guy not moving much. He planted himself in front of the net and drifted back and forth as the puck moved around. Matthews was "kinda" in the bumper spot, but he moved a lot trying to find any open ice to get his shot off. He usually didn't really move that far, mainly moving side to side to fill in when one of the guys on the halfway moved to another location. Basically, he went from the Ovi spot on one side, back to the center, back to the "Ovi" spot on the other side.

When Bunting was out there, he stayed predominately below the goal line, but when Rielly was out there, he played up top but was moving constantly in a conjunction with Marner and Nylander. Those 3 were in constant motion with the puck and without it.

To me, it seemed the motion was designed to open up space for Matthews to find a soft spot and then get him the puck. More than a few times I saw him give it to either Nylander or Marner where they'd skate it away from an area only to pass it back to Matthews when he vacated the area. Tavares was then in front to clean up anything.

Now, those 5 (Marner, Matthews, Nylander, Tavares, and Rielly) are insanely skilled and whether we want to admit it or not, more skilled than any 5 Carolina can put on the ice. Secondly, we don't have anyone that shoots as well as Matthews. So what works for Toronto may not work for us, but was just putting this out there as what I saw last night.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Having the PP move around more and be less predictable seems like a general life lesson, to be honest

Yikes! Having the PP be less predictable brings back memories of walking down the hall in middle school carrying books in front of my groin. I think that could get you into trouble in adult life.

edit: and in the other direction, you've got the Marley drug commercials

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Stickpucker

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
Yikes! Having the PP be less predictable brings back memories of walking down the hall in middle school carrying books in front of my groin. I think that could get you into trouble in adult life.

edit: and in the other direction, you've got the Marley drug commercials
113D4AB9-D77A-4395-A558-A6A359813D62.jpeg

Reactions: LakeLivin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad