The Positivity Thread

BackHandShelf22

Apr 12, 2014
We all know this will likely be a dark and dreary season. Let this be a place to go and appreciate the occasional good things that come the Leafs way on a game to game basis. :yo: It will keep fans sane.

If you want to argue opinions or sentiments provided, there are multiple threads for that. So begone.

~

Starting it off with two guys. Uncle Leo. Happy for the guy to get rewarded offensively. I only hope the stache can continue. :sarcasm: And Dion with a couple big hits and a couple points. Definitely entertaining. Release the kraken!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Hey well said a little positive attitude never hurts.

Obviously Sparks deserves a little kudo's he wasn't tested much but he was sharp when he needed to be. I liked the jump Kadri had tonight.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Not much to be said about the Leafs roster or the rest of the season but I think the upcoming trade deadline and draft could be a real positive time for us all.

PuckMagi

Apr 13, 2013
Toronto
A few things to be positive about:

1) Our record when Bernier isn't starting is good enough to make the playoffs.
2) We are only 6 and 7 points out of the last two playoff spots.
3) There are a lot of games left in the season.
4) Reimer (and Sparks) are playing very well.
5) If we are sellers at the deadline, there are plenty of good Marlies who could make the jump.

Territory

Jan 31, 2014
Toronto
Lots to be positive about. They work hard and are in every game. Babcock is clearly who we thought he would be and once he gets the skill the Leafs are developing I have no doubt he will make them contenders.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
Leo Komarov has developed into a very good two-way forward. He has definately been one of the bright spots this season along with Rielly and Phaneuf.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I think this team has strong enough structure and good enough team defence that with an influx of just a half-decent amount of scoring talent, we should be pushing for playoffs sooner rather than later.

Nylander/Marner both have higher potential than any forward on our roster. I think we'll be fighting hard for the playoffs by 2017-2018 for sure, but maybe even next season depending on how things go.

And keep in mind that after this upcoming draft, we'll be adding another top 10 pick (potentially top 5 or top 2-3), as well as adding probably an extra ~15-16 prospects from the draft overall. So by next season, I think we'll have a deep enough crop of young talent to try and make some hockey trades and UFA signings to improve the team short-term, while still maintaining a great foundation long-term.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
This team is the rare breed of seller that should actually get better after the trade deadline and the offseason. It would be hilarious if the standings are close enough after the TDL that after we "unload", we go on a winning streak and make the playoffs.

As for not the top line but for longer term depth, I think Komarov, Winnik, Matthias and Spaling could be good options. Of them, I'd hate to see Komarov and Winnik go. One guy is developed by the Toronto system and the other wants to play for the team regardless of its situation. Both guys need to be lettered.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
My guess is that Winnik agreed to come back and the Leafs agreed to give him a two year deal based on the idea that we wouldnt sell him off again.

We already got trade value and then got him back in the off-season, I doubt we'll trade him to be honest. Him and Komarov are likely fixtures on this team for the long-term. Both are very solid depth players (Komarov currently playing like more than a depth player due to our lack of top talent).

Spaling, Matthias, Polak, Parenteau, etc on the otherhand, all TD bait. Hopefully those forwards can pad their stats a bit more before the deadline!

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I'm positively looking forward to the WJC my favourite hockey time of the year.

When December arrives I know it will be near.

Looking forward to see Marner and Dermott :crossfing do well and lead Canada to gold as Leafs prospects play a big role.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Team looks great! Babcock has taken an ordinary cast and allocated them in a way that allows us to compete in most games.

Masterful use of assets on hand!

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I think we could get a 2nd for bernier. We would just have to take a contract back. I would take a expiring contract back and let sparks have backup duties.

Jvr passing to uncle Leo for the empty netter was awesome.

Kadri just needs to stop shooting and tip in all his goals to raise his shooting%. I'm glad thats figured out.

Everyone in the fanbase is down with a long term rebuild.

I think it has been really positive on our board actually for the most part. Definitely the best i have expierenced here. Yeah.

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I wish we could play the Oilers more often.

Don't forget the Stars.

I want to point out how the fans are starting to cheer more. More GO LEAFS GO chants being heard. Especially when Reimer is in net. I am loving the Blueprint series. Liking Babcock's way of dealing with the oppressive and obsessive Toronto media. He is a BOSS. Love the new hat lol. The draft pick hat with the big maple leaf on the bill. I bought one myself.

I'm going to predict we will make the playoffs and will make it past the first round.

We will do this because Godwilling, Nylander joins the club at the 40 game mark and we get an instant boost to.our goals for. We end up playing a weaker team like Pittsburgh or Detroit, who aren't playing very well this season admittedly.

Last edited:

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
The positives are:
We are showing a safer environment to graduate young players
We are not pretending on the year. (we will likely and should finish within the bottom 5)

The second positive is key. We aren't pretending our way to mediocrity

Neil Hamburger

Five Bagger!
Jun 15, 2010
Toronto
im positive, im super positive, for next year

Exactly. I have watched two leaf games this year. I'm hoping for the team to lose, so the only reason for me to tune in would be to watch Rielly develop.

Next year, we'll likely have Marner & Nylander with the team and potentially our 2016 first, and some other prospects like Brown, Leivo, & Percy.

The tank won't be as imperative next season either, as we'll have a solid start to our young core (Rielly, Marner, Nylander, & 2016 first).

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
We have 58 games left. We only have to go 38-20 that means winning 65% of games to finish with 97 points and clinch a playoff spot.

Reimer has been getting points 73% of the games he has played this season. In his last 7 games he has been winning 71% of the time.

Last edited:

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
I am positive about the leafs becoming fully actualized and being the best leafs they can be

Le Cobra

Rent A Goalie
Nov 11, 2015
Toronto The Good
I am positive that we have the best management, GM and head coach in the NHL.

I am positive that Reimer, Kadri, Phaneuf, Komarov are more confident than they have ever been in their careers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad