The playoff teams in the West have officially been set.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
If we (Nashville) have to yet again play Chicago and likely lose in the first round, I'm going to cry.

So much for amazing playoff match ups with this format, eh:rant:. This is the most boring format in a long long long time.

kcin94

Jul 17, 2011
Someones math is off. The west havent played the east more than the east have played the west. Too lazy to check myself.

Each of the teams in the west play 2 games against the East's 16 teams, so 32 games.

Each of the teams in the east play 2 games against the West's 14 teams, so 28 games.

Thus the 8 west teams would have 256 games against the east and the 8 east teams would have 224 games against the west. (at the end of the regular season of course)

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
point is both are winning records, and points percentage means **** in the playoffs. good teams are good.
No it's obvious the west is significantly weaker. West was weaker last year too. I'd be shocked if any western team other than Chicago won the cup. It happens though, it goes in cycles. West was better for like a decade.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
So much for amazing playoff match ups with this format, eh:rant:. This is the most boring format in a long long long time.

What does the format have to do with your team having zero chance against the Hawks? You think if the format were different you'd go to the cup or something?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
What does the format have to do with your team having zero chance against the Hawks? You think if the format were different you'd go to the cup or something?

They could possibly get a different match up which would help in terms of actually getting past round 1. But who knows what will ultimately happen, the strongest team on paper doesn't always get out of round one anyways.

I just hate this format as it leads to the same match ups repeatedly. The Central match ups this year will likely be exactly the same as 2 years ago. I like a bit more variety.

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
Who's out? Dallas and LA missing the playoffs is a surprise. Colorado and Arizona missing the playoffs is not. Wonder when the Jets will put it all together.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
They could possibly get a different match up which would help in terms of actually getting past round 1. But who knows what will ultimately happen, the strongest team on paper doesn't always get out of round one anyways.

I just hate this format as it leads to the same match ups repeatedly. The Central match ups this year will likely be exactly the same as 2 years ago. I like a bit more variety.

That's just you. I'm fine with the Habs making the Bruins roadkill any year.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
No it's obvious the west is significantly weaker. West was weaker last year too. I'd be shocked if any western team other than Chicago won the cup. It happens though, it goes in cycles. West was better for like a decade.

The head to head results do not show that. The west's best wins more than 50% of their games vs the east and vice versa.

Ultimately with both the "bests" having wpct's over 50%, obviously they both cannot coexist in a direct head to head comparison, so the numbers are not directly comparable. Thus the talk of regular season points is not especially valuable across conferences.

Both conferences have pretty similar ranges of team quality. i mean, not really surprising, leaguewide parity is increasing every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad