The playoff penalty count thread

Mickmagoo

Apr 2, 2017
If there is one thing that is frustrating in the NHL it is the inconsistencies in the penalties. One play a slash is a penalty and the next play it isn’t. Since I have playoff fever I have decided to quantify these penalties and chart them in excel, reproducing the results here:

The method: A team gets penalty minutes added when they take a penalty. However a team does not get penalty minutes for offsetting penalties. I have also not included penalties late in the game that do not affect the outcome of the game

Example: 2 people get 5 min major penalties. These are offsetting and do not result in a penalty kill for either team, so these minutes are discarded.

2nd example: Columbus took 20 minutes of penalties at 19:55 of the third against PIT. Since it was 3-1 at that time, I did not feel it important to include these. Also, kesler falls on the puck and gets a delay of game penalty at 19:59 of the 3rd in game 1. Since that also made no material difference In the outcome, I didn`t include it.

Now the fun part! Here are the penalty minutes according to above after 2 games (numbers are in respective order, I saved the best for last). I will update this thread daily to better represent the trend:

EDM-SJ (26-16)
Game 1: 14-8
Game 2: 12-8

ANA-CGY (14-22)
Game 1: 8-14
Game 2: 6-8

WSH-TOR (12-16)
Game 1: 2-6
Game 2: 10-10

MTL-NYR (18-14)
Game 1: 12-6

OTT-BOS (14-12)
Game 1: 8-4

PIT-CBJ (8-10)
Game 1: 4-6
Game 2: 4-4

MIN-STL (12-12)
Game 1: (8-6)
Game 2: (4-6)

CHI-NSH (8-8)
Game 1: 2-4
Game 2: 6-4

CANADIAN TEAM AVG: 9.6 minutes per game
US TEAM AVG: 5.478 minutes per game

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
We could shave off 6 minutes in each game just for stupid penalties alone.

I've never seen a stupider penalty than game one, watching a winger chase a defenseman down the boards, punching him in the back of the head.

Oh wait. That happened to Larsson. And there was no call.

There is definitely something off this year.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Much ado about nothing. It's as if some people have never watched playoff hockey before. Though, given the state of this franchise I don't blame them!

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
I mentioned this in the out of town thread. The Only one canadian team has had more PP'S in a game in the playoffs and that's Montreal . We will see if this trend continues in round one and if it does it might seem like NHL does not want to many Canadian teams advancing in the 1st round. And before the tin foil hat remarks wake up people many things in life are rigged ,and the op has Calgary Anaheim reversed.

oljimmy

May 9, 2013
I mean, the sample size is already large enough that 9.6 vs. 5.5 is really surprising. If this differential were to continue past round 1, you might have a genuine scandal on your hands. I can see a minute or two either way due to random variation, but that's already a huge difference.

Aequitas

Jun 10, 2008
Fort McMurray
I don't have a problem with the penalties called. I have a problem with them not calling the same ones against the opposing team. And it's not a one off we are talking 2-6 minutes of PP time a game. I watched Calgary Anaheim last night and it was pretty brutal how they would call Calgary and let Anaheim get away with the exact same thing.

Prayfor97Preyfor97

Apr 6, 2017
So what are we at? 12?

Was kinda hoping for something like this...

1ncm0q.jpg

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
If we beat the Sharks and the Refs this series we get to look forward to playing Anaheim and the Refs next series.

McDrai

Mar 29, 2009
So all of the Canadian teams are in the top 5 most penalized teams in the playoffs. Coincidence?

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
Much ado about nothing. It's as if some people have never watched playoff hockey before. Though, given the state of this franchise I don't blame them!

Then why don't you enlighten us as to what playoff hockey is then.

Its totally one-sided reffing? Its one team being shorthanded for half a period? Its ticky-tack post-whistle scrum calls that don't be called in pre-season?

I've seen this stupid comment made before and I'd love to hear it explained. Because Playoffs have ALWAYS meant, 'the refs don't call as much and the game gets tighter' and what we've seen this year is the exact opposite.

JBear

Mar 26, 2014
The Oilers have taken a lot of really undisciplined, dumb penalties that have to be and should be called. But I find that SJ does get away with a lot more and draws penalties easier (i.e. hooking of McDavid vs McDavid holding Pavelski who did a little twirl to draw the penalty). They both should be called.

Mickmagoo

Apr 2, 2017
Since I'm not allowed to edit my own posts for some reason here is the update after game 4, except CHI-NSH

EDM-SJ (47-26)
Game 1: 14-8
Game 2: 12-8
Game 3: 4-2
Game 4: 17-8

ANA-CGY (30-26)
Game 1: 8-14
Game 3: 10-0
Game 4: 6-4

WSH-TOR (22-26)
Game 1: 2-6
Game 2: 10-10
Game 3: 6-8
Game 4: 4-2

MTL-NYR (28-24)
Game 1: 12-6
Game 3: 6-6
Game 4: 4-4

OTT-BOS (22-26)
Game 1: 8-4
Game 4: 2-6

PIT-CBJ (18-22)
Game 1: 4-6
Game 2: 4-4
Game 3: 4-6
Game 4: 6-6

MIN-STL (22-24)
Game 1: 8-6
Game 2: 4-6
Game 4: 4-4

CHI-NSH (10-14)
Game 1: 2-4
Game 2: 6-4
Game 3: 2-6
Game 4: TBA

CANADIAN TEAM AVG: 7.45 minutes per game
US TEAM AVG: 5.9444 minutes per game

Mickmagoo

Apr 2, 2017
We could shave off 6 minutes in each game just for stupid penalties alone.

It's hard to continue to be a fan when you go from a nail biter well reffed (in comparison to Game 1&2) then all of a sudden we just explode into the box in game 4.

It doesn't add up to me sometimes. Maybe it's my tinfoil hat or maybe their is actual vested interest in having a cali team win

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
I think it's in the Jersey colours which are actually a form of camouflage, the refs simply can see the San Jose players. If the teams switched jerseys this game I can guarantee San Jose would suddenly get a lions share of the penalties!

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Does it feel like it's our game to lose or that we're legit up against the refs in this series?

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
Does it feel like it's our game to lose or that we're legit up against the refs in this series?

Last night is how a game should be officiated. No bias. Had it been like the first 3 games we would be down 3-2 going to San Jose. If we get another game like last night, then we have a solid chance.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Last night is how a game should be officiated. No bias. Had it been like the first 3 games we would be down 3-2 going to San Jose. If we get another game like last night, then we have a solid chance.

I don't know there were still issues. San Jose got away with quite a bit throughout the first two periods, but the refs chose to make a gigantic production because of Maroon's mild snow shower. I wouldn't have had an issue with them warning him, but they made a big show of warning him.

The difference this time is that Edmonton didn't let it get to them and stayed disciplined which took away opportunities for the refs to make the calls.

Also, of note, San Jose didn't embellish nearly as much as previous games, other than Jones' leg amputation.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
The difference last night is the Oilers didn't play as recklessly as they have the rest of the series. Definitely could've been a few more calls going the Shark's way, but I also thought the call on Lucic and the trip on Desharnais were kinda soft considering some of the other more obvious ones (there was a trip on Nuge, missed high stick, a few others I can't remember).

If the Oilers play like that every night, they won't have any penalty issues. A lot of their penalties earlier in the series have been pretty blatant.

I did think the Maroon thing was ridiculous, I can't recall seeing a show put on like that for a warning. The ref was pointing and yelling all over the ice, no one knew what was going on.

Nunymare

/ˈnʌnimɛr/
Sep 14, 2008
YEG
I don't know there were still issues. San Jose got away with quite a bit throughout the first two periods, but the refs chose to make a gigantic production because of Maroon's mild snow shower. I wouldn't have had an issue with them warning him, but they made a big show of warning him.

Yeah, this... I honestly think that the ref was more mad than the Sharks were about it.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Yeah, this... I honestly think that the ref was more mad than the Sharks were about it.

Good way of putting it. There were some subtle face washes but the players were already moving on, but the ref would have none of it and wanted to make sure everyone in the building knew.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad