The players who needed that Cup in order to get into the Hall of Fame

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Who are those names do you think? There is always those guys that desperately needed a Stanley Cup and that would have likely propelled them into the Hall. I think we'd have slightly more positive memories of them and it would have put them over the top. I'll list mine.

Rick Middleton: You can argue he belongs already and I am okay with that. He had so many close calls with Boston and while I wonder what would have happened had he won in Boston in 1988 and then retired I think had the Bruins won in 1978 or 1979 with him as a central part of it than it would have changed everything for him. In 1979 he's right there for the Conn Smythe with Ratelle had they kept going to the final. They beat the Rangers and depending on how the final goes he could have won the Smythe. But he's hoisting the Cup, so I think this puts him in.

Andy Moog: In before the "He DID win the Cup................" crowd comes in. Yes, he did. And I will mention he was actually in net the last two and a bit games in 1984 for the Oilers, replacing an injured Fuhr. He did well, but was it "his" Cup? When I am thinking Moog I am thinking of a guy we all know contributed but was not there in the playoffs. He wasn't the #1 guy. No shame in this since Fuhr was that guy, but you have to wonder how do things change if Moog wins his own Cup as the #1 starter? For example, in 1983 he took the Oilers to the Cup final. What changes if he wins against the Islanders? Or in either one of 1990, 1991 or 1992? I would say especially 1990 against his old team, that would have been special. Maybe there becomes a bit more of a "Fleury" feel to him if he has his own Cup knowing he could do it. And then the shared Cups are just a bonus. Either way, I think he's in if he wins in 1990.

John Vanbiesbrouck: Never thought of as a playoff goalie per se, but imagine winning in 1996. He's got the Smythe in his back pocket easily if the Panthers beat the Avs. For me I think he has a harder time than Moog, even with the Vezina and the other Vezina-esque year in 1994. Here's why. He wasn't strong in the playoffs. Maybe the one Cup gets him over the top in 1996 and the rest is glossed over. Because beating Mario and Jagr and then Roy, Sakic and Forsberg is something that would be tattooed on him for the rest of his life.

Jeremy Roenick: Lots have him pretty close as it is. There is that drop off after 1994 where he went from dazzling player to just pretty good player for a while. He's certainly in the running for the Conn Smythe in 1992 had the Hawks won, although Chelios was right there as well. Does the fact that he sort of gets lost in that big log jam of players in the early to mid 1990s get glossed over if he is a Cup champ? Does he stay in Chicago longer? Who knows. I would say that he had this flair for the dramatic and his 4 playoff overtime goals get pumped up even more and he's remembered as more of a playoff guy. Not that he was bad in the playoffs to begin with, he had his moments. Even in 2008 he scored 4 points in Game 7 against the Flames which came out of nowhere. I have to wonder if this puts him over the top. It might very well have.

Curtis Joseph: So Cujo is in the Hall with a Cup win, is that pretty close to a consensus? Reason being for me is that he already has that insane reputation for the 1st round of the playoffs under his belt. And he has a pretty good case with his Vezina voting: 2, 3, 3, 4, 5. I honestly think the Cup is what stopped him from getting in. Because as the rounds went on in the playoffs his magic sort of faded away. But if he proved he could do it once he'd be forgiven for the other times. Also, he never made the Cup final. So he'd have that elusive great postseason. Beezer has that and lost in 1996, but Joseph never had that at all and was still a modest 63-66 in the postseason despite never making the final. And look at his save % in the playoffs. There are some of those cases where he could only do so much. 1993 comes to mind, 2003 and 2004 also. Not sure he can do anything more outside of taking a blow torch to the competition and eliminating them. So a Cup really changes his legacy, in my opinion.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
It's actually kinda ridiculous Roenick isn't in.. the HHOF is so weirdly inconsistent, who knows if even a single Cup would make a difference. Mogilny has one and that didn't seem to matter... that's another thing they're bit inconsistent about.
Well, Mogilny basically did nothing for his Cup win. In fact, it's easy to forget he was even on that team. So, I'm not sure that really should affect his argument.

Good post by the thread starter. Generally agree with all points. Not sure about Moog, though.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Well, Mogilny basically did nothing for his Cup win. In fact, it's easy to forget he was even on that team. So, I'm not sure that really should affect his argument.

Good post by the thread starter. Generally agree with all points. Not sure about Moog, though.
So who decides what makes a Cup count or not? Again, inconsistent.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Does Dale hunter get in if he wins the cup in 1998 as captain against the powerhouse wings?

I guess that puts him in that damphousse category if he gets a cup, but hunter played with a distinctive edge to his game although again, he had some deplorable actions in the process.

On second thought I suppose he wouldn't be in regardless.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
So who decides what makes a Cup count or not? Again, inconsistent.
The Hockey Hall of fame committee decides.

My point is that being a top player on a cup winner is valued a great deal more by hockey observers than being a non-entity on a Cup winner.

The Cup-argument for Mogilny would be like arguing for Kent Nilsson, Tomas Sandstrom, or Andy Moog as Cup winners.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Does Dale hunter get in if he wins the cup in 1998 as captain against the powerhouse wings?

I guess that puts him in that damphousse category if he gets a cup, but hunter played with a distinctive edge to his game although again, he had some deplorable actions in the process.

On second thought I suppose he wouldn't be in regardless.

I think with Hunter he was finished at that point and wasn't an effective player anymore. 4 assists in that entire 1998 Cup run in 21 games. No goals. I don't know if it mattered. I guess I will say that while Andreychuk did a bit more in his Cup run in 2004 he really shouldn't have gotten in either, but they put him in. I don't induct him one way or another. So I guess you never know with the HHOF if they would see Hunter in a new light if he is hoisting the Cup. But man that would really lower the bar.

I guess Moog is that wild card. Maybe the least likely out of anyone on that list. Not sure why Moog gives people that feeling. I think sometimes people mistakenly lump him with Chris Osgood. I think he was better than Osgood for sure, more capable of stealing a series, in fact he did that more than once. He isn't winning the 1990 Smythe, that has got to go to Neely if they would win I would think. Maybe Bourque? But Neely likely is the front runner.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Exactly and they decide arbitrarily.
I'm not really sure what point you're making. It's an interesting thread topic to point out that there may be Hall of Fame "borderline" players who just needed that little tip over the edge to make them appear Hall-worthy. Being a big contributor to a Stanley Cup win is obviously one such factor that might tip a player towards "inclusion" rather than "exclusion". It seems equally obvious that being a forgettable passenger on a Cup win isn't necessarily the same as having had a memorable performance on a Cup winner.

If your argument is simply that Hall of Fame induction is inconsistent, then I think we all know that, but that's another topic.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I'm not really sure what point you're making. It's an interesting thread topic to point out that there may be Hall of Fame "borderline" players who just needed that little tip over the edge to make them appear Hall-worthy. Being a big contributor to a Stanley Cup win is obviously one such factor that might tip a player towards "inclusion" rather than "exclusion". It seems equally obvious that being a forgettable passenger on a Cup win isn't necessarily the same as having had a memorable performance on a Cup winner.

If your argument is simply that Hall of Fame induction is inconsistent, then I think we all know that, but that's another topic.
and all I said is if they kept Jeremy Roenick out now, I doubt a Cup would put him over. The media perception is often that Wingers are irrelevant for Cups and they want to look for a Center somewhere to give the credit to.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
He isn't winning the 1990 Smythe, that has got to go to Neely if they would win I would think. Maybe Bourque?
Moog's abysmal performance in the 1990 Cup Finals makes it difficult to imagine (a) the Bruins winning it, or (b) Moog getting a Conn Smythe!!

In game two, he played 24 minutes and posted a .250.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
roenick with a non-hanger-on cup would be a no brainer imo

i don’t see moog with his own cup in if mike vernon isn’t

cujo, yeah probably also a no brainer with a cup if he starts

actually one guy not mentioned that needed a cup is dave taylor. if he had walked off with a lanny mcdonald cup in 1993, i think he gets remembered very differently in the short term, even if that’s not a good reason at all to induct someone.

Crosby2010

Mar 4, 2023
Moog's abysmal performance in the 1990 Cup Finals makes it difficult to imagine (a) the Bruins winning it, or (b) Moog getting a Conn Smythe!!

In game two, he played 24 minutes and posted a .250.

He'd had to have played super well for them to win it. Moog always seemed to be able to get his teams there alright. He played a lot of playoff games. Someone said that if Moog wins in 1990 he still doesn't think he gets in if they have kept Vernon out. Maybe he's right, although there never was that playoff black hole in Moog's career like Vernon's in between his Cups.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Middleton with a Cup still isnt in (he should be already). Middleton's "case" boils down to he's getting punished for leading the NHLPA lawsuit against the league and Eagleson.

My bet is they're waiting for him to die before inducting him as a final FU

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The Hockey Hall of fame committee decides.

My point is that being a top player on a cup winner is valued a great deal more by hockey observers than being a non-entity on a Cup winner.

The Cup-argument for Mogilny would be like arguing for Kent Nilsson, Tomas Sandstrom, or Andy Moog as Cup winners.
Do the Oilers still win the cup if Nilsson doesn't break free and assist the game-tying goal in game 7? We'll never know. Obviously it would be silly if the Oilers retired his number after a few dozen games there, but that cup definitely is a part of his HHoF argument. Especially as he was an important part of the team through that run.

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
Interesting question and some good candidates in the OP.

I can’t really think of any further ones. The thing is, winning the cup only matters for somewhat borderline HoF candidates, until it doesn’t and they’re in.

Winning the Cup and getting the Conn Smythe in 2007 would maybe have placed Alfredsson in sooner, at least it would have been pretty egregious that the only real HoF candidate on a cup winner had been placed on hold. But he’s in now, so it simply didn’t matter he never won the cup, really.

But I agree that given how impactful Roenick was for those Blackhawks, a cup with them should’ve sealed the deal for him. Let’s say the Flyers go all the way in 2004 with him as their third best scorer though… I think maybe, probably it helps him that he could win one as a 34 year old impact player. But should it place him inside the Hall had he won the cup as a passenger/depth scorer with the Sharks?

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
I guess it depends what you think the HHOF should be about, but I wonder if somehow Shane Doan won a cup while playing a century in Arizona and scored like 30 more points throughout his career to get 1000, if he gets in

NOTENOUGHRYJOTHINGS

Oct 23, 2022
MacKinnon seems he has support to go into the HOF after last season.

Would Roenick with a cup midway through his career have been seen as similar?

ichbinkanadier

Apr 22, 2023
Andy Moog could have won four Cups and I wouldn't consider him a HOFer...(probably)...
From '83 to '87 he had one of the best save percentages for all goalies during that run. I think he and Fuhr are underrated for just how good they were, many people believing they just benefitted from a high octane offense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad