OT: The Players' Tribute: New York, Let's Go to Work, by Keith Yandle

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Cool story by Yands. Here's the start of it. Follow the link for the rest.

I'll never forget the first time I saw that sweater. It was March 2, 2015. When I saw it hanging in my stall, I marveled at my name and number stitched on the back in red and white. Then, when I put it on, I ran both hands over those seven historic block letters: RANGERS.

I was a New York Ranger.

The jersey said so much with so little. There was no flash about it. The rough stitch of the letters made sense. It reflected New York.

For the first time in my career, I was wearing blue. I walked over from my stall to the bathroom so that I could catch the first glimpse of myself in the new jersey. To be honest, it was really weird to look in the mirror and see myself without the howling coyote that I had worn on my chest for the past 10 years.

http://www.theplayerstribune.com/keith-yandle-rangers-nhl-stanley-cup-playoff/

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Definitely a cool story.

Doesn't sound like he wants to leave, though. Sorry folks.

Sounds like he got a taste of the big market life. Good read. There are just some things certain teams will offer that the Coyotes never can.

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
There are just some things certain teams will offer that the Coyotes never can.

True. To be positive about something, the Coyotes do offer things that many markets don't: no hounding press, being able to be in publicly and not be recognized, privacy, a whole city not questioning your every move, nice weather, and more. A few other markets are like this too though.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
HCanes Bandwagon
Underwhelming. Not much to it.

Off the top of my head, I enjoyed the Sean Avery, James Neal, Brendan Morrow and Bryan Trottier articles much better. Love Yandle to death, favorite Coyote, but the personality I've seen in small doses is sorely lacking here. Read like a Rangers media department piece, not a Players Tribune article. Oh well.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I really disliked the Avery article. It was factually suspect at best and intentionally misleading most likely.

This was light-hearted. But made me think about the stark contrasts that exist in markets more than I have. Also, helped me visualize how different life can be from one market to the the next. It read like a Rangers PR piece because Yandle fees good about it. Now, consider how a different kind of player would feel. Shane Doan would probably run screaming.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Underwhelming. Not much to it.

Off the top of my head, I enjoyed the Sean Avery, James Neal, Brendan Morrow and Bryan Trottier articles much better. Love Yandle to death, favorite Coyote, but the personality I've seen in small doses is sorely lacking here. Read like a Rangers media department piece, not a Players Tribune article. Oh well.

Part of that has to do with the Players Tribune shadow writer. He does a good job at getting detail but he has a hard time capturing voice. With a guy like Yandle who is so dry-witted and sardonic, it's going to be difficult to translate that to print, and the PT writer certainly fell short this time.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Definitely a cool story.

Doesn't sound like he wants to leave, though. Sorry folks.

I didn't get that from it. Big rush playing in NYC for sure. I don't think the article tips his hand on what his future will be or where it will be. Hard to say.

There will be plenty of bidders for Yandle but we know him and have plenty of money. If he has no interest in coming here, we will know right away, he can just say no thanks. If he liked it here, and wants to come back to raise his family, we can sign him. Hard to say at this point. DM being gone could help us if there is any resentment of DM for trading him or the way he handled him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I didn't get that from it. Big rush playing in NYC for sure. I don't think the article tips his hand on what his future will be or where it will be. Hard to say.

There will be plenty of bidders for Yandle but we know him and have plenty of money. If he has no interest in coming here, we will know right away, he can just say no thanks. If he liked it here, and wants to come back to raise his family, we can sign him. Hard to say at this point. DM being gone could help us if there is any resentment of DM for trading him or the way he handled him.

At his age I suspect that he wants lifestyle as much as money. Can't beat NYC when you have money, which he has. Then again, if we offer substantially more, Scottdale ain't all that bad...

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
At his age I suspect that he wants lifestyle as much as money. Can't beat NYC when you have money, which he has. Then again, if we offer substantially more, Scottdale ain't all that bad...

I think his decision is going to come down to where his family wants to live. This next contract is going to be the one he retires on, I'm thinking, and while he may look at Arizona fondly, uprooting his family to move back across country might not appeal to him, especially if the Rangers or Bruins offer similar or better packages than what we can offer.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

It was a fluff piece, that' all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad