OT: The place to own your takes (both good and bad)

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Lose Thought Domi would be a great player and nothing like his father.. Wrong
Win 2: Knew that Kessel and Rick Tocchet would be a major mistakes for the Yotes

Oh another loss, really thought our last GM who shall not be named was an amazing GM

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I watched a ton of meh Gopher hockey to get hyped for Wheeler and then the motherf***er takes less money to sign elsewhere. I still hate him. I don't really hate Turris, because he was right to get away from Tippett (funny how that worked out) and made himself a nice little pile of money as a 2C.
I remember that game where he made an amazing play and was doing the sweater jerk thing to show off the Gopher logo to the crowd. I was so pumped, first time I ever follow a prospect that closely. I couldn't be a bigger fan of a player who wasn't even a Coyote yet and felt pride that the Coyotes took him despite being a bit of a laughing stock for doing so. Watching him totally f*** them over for it is something I've never gotten past. I will hate the mother f***er until the day my hockey fandom dies! I would take a thousands Turris's and Ribeiro's over the f***head Wheeler.

I'm glad Laine left, I hope it's the beginning of the end for the Jets and Wheeler, I would never wish for injury but I hope he fades into obscurity.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
I've never said anything bad about Garland. Ever.

I'm still not really impressed with Schmaltz at center, and still not convinced the two tallest players on that line can keep up the hustle. But it's working surprisingly well when they are trying.

You're going to say, "See?! They are untouchable", and I'm going to say that we've seen bursts of production and effort from them before that they've never been able to sustain, and say maybe this represents your chance to sell high and get rid of a questionable contract and pick up some otherwise unattainable assets...

Schmaltz is great as a center in the offensive zone. Against the rush he's mediocre (nominal position doesn't matter against the rush). In the D zone, he's a bad center. On the dot, he pretty much completely blows ass. That's just my opinion, though.

Reactions: RemoAZ

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I remember that game where he made an amazing play and was doing the sweater jerk thing to show off the Gopher logo to the crowd. I was so pumped, first time I ever follow a prospect that closely. I couldn't be a bigger fan of a player who wasn't even a Coyote yet and felt pride that the Coyotes took him despite being a bit of a laughing stock for doing so. Watching him totally f*** them over for it is something I've never gotten past. I will hate the mother f***er until the day my hockey fandom dies! I would take a thousands Turris's and Ribeiro's over the f***head Wheeler.

I'm glad Laine left, I hope it's the beginning of the end for the Jets and Wheeler, I would never wish for injury but I hope he fades into obscurity.

Hah yeah. 4 years of following and defending the Wheeler pick before he decided to screw the team for a tiny bit more money. I know Gretzky is kinda a joke, but for a teenage prospect to actively snub being picked by the TGO and the team that believed in him so much was just so much disrespect.

Hadnt looked at the stats for a while but Wheeler is now #3 in goals and points in that draft class, behind only Ovechkin and Malkin. For a forward that never once got PPG rate in major juniors or college, just making the NHL is extremely rare, never mind reaching the top of the draft class.

Reactions: Sinurgy

87turbobuick

Jan 13, 2011
Phoenix
I think Garland is the only player I have not gone after. With this team blasting players means you are probably correct most of the time. I do not follow Junior or College, but when you see draft picks play you can tell real soon if they will make it.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Like others here, I've been following the team closely since Day 1. I'll go way back to a few that I was really wrong about.

Bryan Helmer was an undrafted defenseman. I saw him in some games in 1998-99, and insisted he was going to be a star. During the next ten years, he played 146 NHL games.
The Coyotes drafted Ossi Vaananen in the second round, and I was excited about his skating finesse. He carved out a decent NHL career, but wasn't anywhere near the #1 D guy I predicted he'd be.
And to this day I don't know why I was happy at the time that we gave up on Danny Briere at the deadline. Ugh, Chris Gratton in return.

In case you're not as well-versed in ancient Coyotes' history, you'll recognize the name Rick Tocchet. It was evident to me that his game was tailing off, so I was pleased with the deadline deal in 2000 with the Flyers for anyone. It ended up being 15 games of Mikael Renberg, but shedding Tocchet at that time was the right move. So that take was a win, sort of.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
I'm probably alone but I'm not really getting all this hype over Seider. I've seen him play a few games for Germany and caught a couple in the AHL and SHL. He just seems a really safe and solid player. Does all the right things without being amazing in anything. Maybe he was just being really deferential to senior players as he was only 18 after all but I havent seen him taking over the game the way I'd want a #1 defenseman to do. Might be a bit harsh but I didnt get him being a top 6 pick when he was drafted or the #1 prospect outside the NHL now. There are much more exciting players to pick from. Be interesting to see how he gets on next year when he joins Detroit.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Long before HFB and in the heart of Ranger/Islander fan arguments in the late 80’s I predicted Jeff Norton would be better than Brian Leetch.

I have Ranger fan friends who remind me about that prediction 35 years later.

More recently:

I thought Kyle Wood would be a top 4 dman.

I thought Sam Reinhart would be a solid 1C.

I thought Christian Fischer would be a top 6 forward and regular 20 goal scorer.

Oh, and I trusted John Chayka.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
The catalogue of things I've been wrong about is about the length of the Bhagavad Gita, but none more so than my head-scratching stanning of Andy Miele.

Not even my man-crush on Enver Lisin can make up for that (the guy was lightning in a straight line but had no lateral skill or speed at all).
Feck, thanks for reminding me that I was a fellow Miele stanner!

Surf, what a great idea for a thread. Easier to remember the wrong than the right.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
At least four out of every five assertions I make here are ultimately proven to be incorrect. You want a collection of my L’s? Just click my post history. Lol. They’re basically all L’s.
I agree with you about 80% of the time which means I’m wrong about 2/3 of the time.....consistent with what my wife tells me. :nod:

Reactions: Summer Rose

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad