• This year will be worse

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Similar levels of suckage

Votes: 10 52.6%

• Total voters

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
I'm sick of talking about even strength line combos and 'team toughness' ad nauseam.

Last year's PK was absolutely shameful. With the roster as it stands today, how are we lookin? AI and Kupari are gone. Durzi is also thankfully gone. In comes Lewis. Who else figures in?

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
I'm sick of talking about even strength line combos and 'team toughness' ad nauseam.

Last year's PK was absolutely shameful. With the roster as it stands today, how are we lookin? AI and Kupari are gone. Durzi is also thankfully gone. In comes Lewis. Who else figures in?
PLD should help on the PK and Durzi is addition by subtraction

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
It will be interesting to see. I think coaching will factor heavily because the lineup will be similar, but potentially better on paper. We lose Iafallo but gain Lewis who would likely be relied upon during the PK. Losing Walker, Durzi, and Edler will definitely help us a bit on our mobility and decision making but our D corps is still young and someone is bound to be christened with the title of fanbase whipping boy. Unless goaltending is atrocious, I think it will just be can coaching instill a more active and aggressive penalty kill strategy?

The thing that drove me nuts against the Oilers is, sure they are a ridiculously tough powerplay to stop, but at least other teams try to stop them. The Kings gave up and sat in the tightest, most passive, box formation I've ever seen and practically allowed Oilers to skate into prime scoring areas and pick their corner.

I am optimistic on what our PK could look like, but ultimately it is hard to tell as it is almost out of the hands of the players on the ice despite now having better options to go with.

Eagle Fang

Less Defending, More Offending
Oct 12, 2005
Not that it's all on them, but having Kupari and Durzi on the PK probably didn't help much either.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Kopitar - Kempe
Danault - Moore
Lizotte - Lewis

Anderson - Doughty
Gavrikov - Roy

Probably better than last year just because of Gavrikov and subtracting Edler and Durzi, to be honest. Not to mention, last year, Cal Petersen had the second-worst penalty kill save percentage of all time. It would literally be historic if either Copley or Talbot were worse.

DoktorJeep

Expediency x Sentimentality = Mediocrity
Aug 2, 2005
OC
The hopium fiends suggest that it’s entirely possible that the PK improves purely through coaching and does not rely upon talent alone.

So I guess a 75% PK (24th in the regular season) and 45% PK in the playoffs (worst in the league) will get better because Todd thinks it over during summer vacation. He pretty much has to, because the other coaches are not changing, so he owns it.

If Doughty and Kopitar are your pillars on the PK, what is your ceiling in 2024? I guess we need Todd to either change minutes and / or strategy. I think it’s strategy for the first 30 games, and then he’ll make ice time adjustments in the face of failure.

Surf Nutz

Hockey Remote Viewer With A Frozen Finger
May 16, 2022
In the tube
clubnami.com
Tough question.
Hopefully future interim coach Hiller had a chance to think about he PK, over the summer.
Tending could be an issue with Talbot old and Copley due to touchdown back on earth,
Losing Iafallo and Kupari could hurt too.
TOugh facing a historical PP in the playoffs but the coaches needed to come up with something else.
The Vipers just snipe.
They could be wrong if they vote so their ego will not allow them to.
The Viper are actually chickens , pecking not sniping.

yankeeking

Jun 4, 2007
I.E.
there has to be a PK whisperer that needs a job, like Hiller did for the PP night and day better in the second half . But I agree not having durzi and edler as first PK pair has got to help and maybe after the results of the diamond formation last year TM actually makes a change

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
I mean you'd think it can't get any worse than it was last year. And then subtracting Edler and Durzi from PK duties will help and hoping for better goaltending as well. But honestly unless they change how they defend dramatically, I'm not overly optimistic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad