Line Combos: The PK

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
I like the proposals of varying combinations of Goc-Spaling-Sutter-Duper and with some Geno/Sid and Comeau. It's time for our PK to start looking good. :nod:

I cringe when I see Malkin on the PK. He's a turn over just waiting to happen.

what.

Jjbuck

Apr 1, 2014
Malkin has been one of the most inconsistent puck handlers on the team over the last couple of years. Malkin also isn't very intelligent. He forces passes and makes poor passing decisions.

He's amazing one on one. That doesn't mean he's built for the PK.

Watch a Pens game with a Squirt/Peewee next to you, Malkin can be an excellent bad example showing what you just yelled at them for doing at the rink. The boy ain't smart.

He's the last thing we need on the PK.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Malkin has been one of the most inconsistent puck handlers on the team over the last couple of years. Malkin also isn't very intelligent. He forces passes and makes poor passing decisions.

Watch a Pens game with a Squirt/Peewee next to you, Malkin can be an excellent bad example showing what you just yelled at them for doing at the rink. The boy ain't smart.

Can we save this for a hall of fame for worst posts?

Malkin is incredibly good at puck handling; one of the best in the world. And he is incredibly intelligent. He does force stuff, but you don't think he would know now to do that short handed?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

You seem to think Malkin is spelled "A" "D" "A" "M" "S" because there's no other way this post makes even the slightest bit of sense.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Can we save this for a hall of fame for worst posts?

Malkin is incredibly good at puck handling; one of the best in the world. And he is incredibly intelligent. He does force stuff, but you don't think he would know now to do that short handed?

No, because he's stupid. Keep up with the whatever that post is. :rant:

Seriously though, what was that post?

penguins2946*

I can tell you're going to go far here.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011

this kind of **** pisses me off.

You know why Malkin forces passes and sometimes tries to do too much? Because he is capable of doing things with the puck that are beyond what many of us can even comprehend, not because he's "dumb."

You know nothing about his intelligence.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Are you a squirt or peewee?

Jjbuck

Apr 1, 2014
On no ... angry internet fanboys.

Maybe we'll see more of Malkin on the PK, then maybe I'll be shown right or wrong.

Or maybe we won't see him on the PK, and new coaching staff will draw similar conclusions as last coaching staff.

Disagree with me all you like. Internet can't hurt my feelings.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
On no ... angry internet fanboys.

Maybe we'll see more of Malkin on the PK, then maybe I'll be shown right or wrong.

Or maybe we won't see him on the PK, and new coaching staff will draw similar conclusions as last coaching staff.

Disagree with me all you like. Internet can't hurt my feelings.

Can you at least try to explain where your opinion is coming from? I mean you made some pretty outlandish statements about Malkin. How many future Hall of Fame hockey players are dumb?

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
This. Didn't he play top PK time in Nashville? All they have is two-way players too.

He actually played on the second PK unit. Gaustad and Nystrom were their two top PK forwards.

And what is this nonsense about Malkin, now?

The guy was a top penalty killer for his Russian teams under several respected coaches. Say what you want about the quality of competition there. But he's clearly capable. I don't even want to touch the "he's dumb" stuff.

TheSniper26

Oct 2, 2005
Youngstown
Can you at least try to explain where your opinion is coming from? I mean you made some pretty outlandish statements about Malkin. How many future Hall of Fame hockey players are dumb?

Let's not encourage more posts. I don't think we'll be getting any pearls of wisdom from the "I'm above the internet" internet poster.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

I'm allowed to call this guy an idiot right? I won't get infracted? I'm completely justified right?

Mo Wanchuk

Embrace the Hate
Mar 16, 2009
Palm Isle

Can't tell if you are serious or trolling. :shakehead

Sty1877

Mar 21, 2010
Ignore the trolls, folks.

Honestly, the only point that anyone can make to discredit Malkin being on the PK, with any bit of legitimacy, is that he often takes emotional, unintelligent penalties. He does it. He hasn't outgrown it. I'm sure it's possible that he would tone them down while in a PK situation, but like I said, they're often emotional penalties.

However, his skill and ability to turn defense into offense/read plays greatly outweighs the chance that he may put us two men down, in my opinion. I'd still put Sid out first for those same reasons, though.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Sutter-Spaling
Goc-Dupuis
Goc-Malkin

jay caufield forhead

May 17, 2014
not telling you
Malkin on the penalty kill.

Reason against:
-Do not want him blocking shots and possibly getting injured.
-He is more gifted at offence than defence
-Save him for pp and even strength
-Malkin is not stupid or not smart but on the ice he is focused more on trying to score than preventing the other team from scoring. This could lead to D zone break downs and more scoring chances o pp for other team.
-He often takes emotional, unintelligent penalties.( as already said)

All that being said if he could become more disciplined and take safe play most of the time on pk he would give the other team something to worry about while pens were shorthanded.

Sutter-Spaling
Goc-Dupuis

Those four will be the pens main pk but putting sid and geno out there maybe twords the end of pp might have some merit.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
Again: there are not two PK pairs. There are not two "main" PK pairs. There are three. Even Bylsma used three units while cramming Gladams out there for as long as possible.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Again: there are not two PK pairs. There are not two "main" PK pairs. There are three. Even Bylsma used three units while cramming Gladams out there for as long as possible.

That's absolutely false. The top 3 guys have over double the PK ice time of anybody else last year. We were so top heavy on the PK that Dupuis finished the year 4th for SHToI after playing only 39 games. Sid was next.

The year before we had 5 players over a minute per game, with the next guy having half the time of the number 5 guy. The year before we had 4 guys over 2 minutes per game, and the number 5 guy was at 40 seconds per game.

We have run with 2 main units for years.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
That's absolutely false. The top 3 guys have over double the PK ice time of anybody else last year. We were so top heavy on the PK that Dupuis finished the year 4th for SHToI after playing only 39 games. Sid was next.

The year before we had 5 players over a minute per game, with the next guy having half the time of the number 5 guy. The year before we had 4 guys over 2 minutes per game, and the number 5 guy was at 40 seconds per game.

We have run with 2 main units for years.

No, we still had three units, Bylsma would just yank one of the forwards to throw out Adams Glass or Dupuis when he was available, again. I'm not gonna deny that Bylsma used the units idiotically but there was still three.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
No, we still had three units, Bylsma would just yank one of the forwards to throw out Adams Glass or Dupuis when he was available, again. I'm not gonna deny that Bylsma used the units idiotically but there was still three.

You are arguing semantics now. There will likely be two primary units with some combination of Sutter, Goc, Spaling, Dupuis with a few others sprinkled in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad