OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Week One

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mischa

Feb 11, 2012
You know, I feel like complaining about Haley is the Steelers equivalent of yelling "Shoot!" on the power play.

pretty sure its happened with steelers offensive coaches for years. its usually been at least a little justified though.

the offense completely stalled in the 3rd quarter and beginning of 4th this time (though the field position didn't really help)

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
This team is built to run the ball 35-40 times a game. At this point, Le'Veon Bell should be seeing 30-35 touches a game in some capacity.

lolwut? This team's best player is it's QB. It's not the 70's anymore, and the Steelers aren't the Seahawks.

djt153

Dec 26, 2003
You know, I feel like complaining about Haley is the Steelers equivalent of yelling "Shoot!" on the power play.

I feel this sentiment, but that Blount run for a four yard loss from the shotgun on a 3rd and 1 was a legit horrible playcall at such a pivotal point in the game.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
The problem is they get gashed when they are spread out and in the nickel. The spread offense is once again the Achilles heel of this defense and DL doesn't seem to have the answers. Every team is going to run the spread agt them until they stop it. It's shades of 2002.

He still insists on playing his corners 7-10 yds off the ball and the spread just eats that up all day long. Ike was 6 yards off the LOS on the last Browns TD and got turned around. Let him come up and press... I just can't fathom what DL is thinking. He just let Hoyer look like Tom Brady.

Of course their DBs use the same brand of Novocain in their gloves as Dupuis.

That was a dark time for the Steelers' pass defense.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
The run defense worries me as much or more than the pass defense. Both Browns backs (Tate and West) averaged over 6 yards a carry today. That ain't going to cut it. They better hope McCullers and Tuitt come along quickly.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
lolwut? This team's best player is it's QB. It's not the 70's anymore, and the Steelers aren't the Seahawks.

OK? That has nothing to do with the game. And the team is built to run as much as it passes. It has 2 highly competent runners, and a good run blocking offensive line.

The way this game would have been out of reach is if the foot was held on the throat of the Browns. Doing that would simply be just not letting them have the ball. Ben did his job in the first half. The 2nd half should have been intermediate stuff and runs while bringing the play clock down to 0 every single snap.

Being up 24 points, there is no reason at all for Ben to stretch the field from that point on, and there is no reason to try risky passes so that the clock is stopped. When you are up by that much, you are looking to just end the game. Hard concept for you, I realize this.

"you don't want to throw 62 times vs pittsburgh"
-Tony Dungy

That used to be true. It may be true again in the future if we can find a consistent pass rush.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
And I think with how Le'Veon played today, there's going to be a big push to give him more carries, because if he keeps this up, he is our best offensive player. He was our most dynamic offensive player today, and probably the most dynamic offensive player we have had in a very long time. It was an awesome display by him today.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Brown was pretty damn good too. And if he was greedy he could have had another touchdown, but he understands that it was more important to kick that dude in the face than to pad his stats. That's a team player right there.

member 51464

It was definitely on purpose.

if you say so

I like the implication that the other person's opinion is fact but mine isn't.

well thats the case

2aab73893abf2b455cb873f884a66047.gif

Still don't think it was on purpose?

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Brown was pretty damn good too. And if he was greedy he could have had another touchdown, but he understands that it was more important to kick that dude in the face than to pad his stats. That's a team player right there.

That's the truth

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Watching that angle of the play, if he just didn't boot the guy in the face and turned his ankle in towards his body, he may have accomplished the hurdle.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I am as positive as I can be without being Antonio Brown that at no point in time did he think "I'm going to kick this dude in the face." He obviously tried to jump him. Once that didn't work, he pretty much just panicked I'd think. He threw his foot forward so that he didn't get flipped over and hurt. He just did it right through that dudes face. The instinct in that position is to get your foot to the ground as fast as you can.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I am as positive as I can be without being Antonio Brown that at no point in time did he think "I'm going to kick this dude in the face." He obviously tried to jump him. Once that didn't work, he pretty much just panicked I'd think. He threw his foot forward so that he didn't get flipped over and hurt. He just did it right through that dudes face. The instinct in that position is to get your foot to the ground as fast as you can.

He definitely didn't take the air thinking, "I'm going to kick this dude in the face."

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
Brown was expecting the punter to dive at his legs, but instead the punter just kind of stayed on his feet and sat back. It was an awkward reaction by the punter to an even more awkward (and premature) hurdle attempt by Brown. In summary, I don't think Brown's intent when he began his hurdle attempt was to drive the punter's face into the ground with his shoe.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I guess I was watching a different 2nd half than some of you guys. You guys are honestly saying that they didn't run enough? Aside from Bell's long td run the running game was having trouble all day. For the whole 3rd quarter they were running a whole lot and all it accomplished was our offense going 3 and out a bunch. You can say all you want that the team is built to run but the simple fact is that the passing game was the only thing working consistently on offense.

The criticisms of Haley are well founded as well and are not at all comparable to yelling "shoot the puck". I will give Haley credit in the sense that his system works very well with the kind of skill players the Steelers have atm. That being said, situationally he couldn't be more stupid and he made several head-scratching play calls today. I'd honestly rather just have Ben call the plays from the line. I have faith that Ben wouldn't call a shotgun draw on 3rd and 1 when the opponent has 9 guys lined up in the box.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
OK? That has nothing to do with the game. And the team is built to run as much as it passes. It has 2 highly competent runners, and a good run blocking offensive line.

Is that why they kept only 2 true RBs and 7 WRs on the roster?

The way this game would have been out of reach is if the foot was held on the throat of the Browns. Doing that would simply be just not letting them have the ball. Ben did his job in the first half. The 2nd half should have been intermediate stuff and runs while bringing the play clock down to 0 every single snap.

Actually, this game would have been out of reach if the defense didn't stink.

Being up 24 points, there is no reason at all for Ben to stretch the field from that point on, and there is no reason to try risky passes so that the clock is stopped. When you are up by that much, you are looking to just end the game. Hard concept for you, I realize this.

You seem to not want to put any blame on the defense. For a defense that is that crappy, it's pretty easy to understand why the offense would think it needs to score more points. Hard concept for you, I realize this. ;)

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I guess I was watching a different 2nd half than some of you guys. You guys are honestly saying that they didn't run enough? Aside from Bell's long td run the running game was having trouble all day. For the whole 3rd quarter they were running a whole lot and all it accomplished was our offense going 3 and out a bunch. You can say all you want that the team is built to run but the simple fact is that the passing game was the only thing working consistently on offense.

The criticisms of Haley are well founded as well and are not at all comparable to yelling "shoot the puck". I will give Haley credit in the sense that his system works very well with the kind of skill players the Steelers have atm. That being said, situationally he couldn't be more stupid and he made several head-scratching play calls today. I'd honestly rather just have Ben call the plays from the line. I have faith that Ben wouldn't call a shotgun draw on 3rd and 1 when the opponent has 9 guys lined up in the box.

Go look at the drive sheet. Bell consistently was picking up 4 yards a carry.

In the 2nd half, there were 18 passes and 12 runs.

Here was the Steelers big drive in the 2nd half...

1-10-PIT 20
(9:05) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to 15-J.Brown to PIT 38 for 18 yards (22-B.Skrine). CLE-22-B.Skrine was injured during the play. His return is Probable.
1-10-PIT 38
(8:32) (Shotgun) 26-L.Bell up the middle to PIT 44 for 6 yards (39-T.Gipson, 56-K.Dansby).
2-4-PIT 44
(8:02) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short left to 26-L.Bell to CLE 47 for 9 yards (36-K.Williams).
1-10-CLE 47
(7:21) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger pass short middle to 84-A.Brown to CLE 38 for 9 yards (23-J.Haden). PENALTY on CLE-23-J.Haden, Defensive Holding, 5 yards, enforced at CLE 47 - No Play.
1-10-CLE 42
(6:54) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 26-L.Bell left guard to CLE 38 for 4 yards (36-K.Williams).
2-6-CLE 38
(6:16) (No Huddle, Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at CLE 43 for -5 yards (58-C.Kirksey).
3-11-CLE 43
(5:32) (Shotgun) 7-B.Roethlisberger FUMBLES (Aborted) at CLE 48, and recovers at CLE 48. 7-B.Roethlisberger sacked at PIT 44 for -13 yards (99-P.Kruger).
4-24-PIT 44
(4:48) (Punt formation) 9-B.Wing punts 38 yards to CLE 18, Center-60-G.Warren, fair catch by 11-T.Benjamin.

My personal opinion is Ben shouldn't be running shotgun when we are up in the game. He should be under center, running play action.

Last edited:

Xavier Laflamme*

Those watching the Colts vs Broncos game will see that Emmanuel Sanders is looking like an all pro out there...goes to show you what an impressive offensive scheme and quarterback Peyton is. Don't get me wrong, I think Ben is awesome but Manning just turns those receivers into something else.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Those watching the Colts vs Broncos game will see that Emmanuel Sanders is looking like an all pro out there...goes to show you what an impressive offensive scheme and quarterback Peyton is. Don't get me wrong, I think Ben is awesome but Manning just turns those receivers into something else.

Except in the playoffs. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad