OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: They Blamed Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I don't mind this loss. The Steelers had no business even being in the playoffs.

There is a lot that you can blame management and coaching for, including the inexcusable lapses and horrid tackling that has plagued this team for years now. But this particular loss? Nope.

I have been far more frustrated in previous years when favored Steelers teams got out-coached and blew playoff games that they were expected to easily win.

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
The root of his anger is how the whole Canada thing went down.

LOL
I wouldn't be shocked if he's butthurt because they approached him about trading him. Omar seems smart and that would be the smart thing to do. Not sure if they would discuss it mid-season, though.

They can't trade him unless he agrees. No team...well, maybe the Raiders, would trade for a guy without knowing he's not going to just retire instead of going there.

Reactions: T1K and Night Shift

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013
"It's not something that I've been concerned with" or something similar.

But, like you said ... he wasn't prepared for it. Kind of like everything else.
Na. Tomlin is dumb in other ways but I think he had that planned. He's left crumbs of 'talking about his future with his family' then walking out on the question.

Take a step back. He's posturing to make Rooney sweat and give him a big extension. Just wait and watch it unfold. Rooney can't lose his "Hall of Fame" coach.

We are screwed to stay mediocre. I don't think we win a playoff game for another 5-10 years.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I don't mind this loss. The Steelers had no business even being in the playoffs.

There is a lot that you can blame management and coaching for, including the inexcusable lapses and horrid tackling that has plagued this team for years now. But this particular loss? Nope.

I have been far more frustrated in previous years when favored Steelers teams got out-coached and blew playoff games that they were expected to easily win.

Totally disagree.

We are trying to normalize that this team can’t win in the playoffs now and it’s horse shit.

The 9-8 Packers came in and smacked around the second highest scoring Cowboys team of all time.

The 9-8 Bucs currently have Philly on the ropes because they came in and had 178 yards to 26 in the first quarter.

How many times is a Tomlin playoff team going to spot a team a 20+ point lead?

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Cap:

Current Cap: -$7.4M
Cuts: Robinson (+$10M), Peterson (+$6.9), Okorafor (+$8.7M), Trubisky (+$2.9), Nate Herbig (+$4M), Harvin (+$1M), Cole (+$4.7M)

Cap After Cuts: $31M
Restructure: Heyward (+$10M), Watt (+$5M)
Cap After Restructures: +$46M
Resigns:
Rudolph (-$7M), Killebrew (-$2M), Wallace (-$5M), Kuntz (-$1M)
Cap After Resigns: +$31M

QB: Pickett, Rudolph, Need
RB: Warren, Harris, Need
TE: Freiermuth, Heyward, Washington
WR: Pickens, Johnson, Need, CAIII
LT: Jones
LG: Semualu
C: Need
RG: Daniels
RT: Need

DE: Heyward, Ogunjobi, Leal, Need
DT: Benton, Loudermilk, Need
OLB: Watt, Highsmith, Herbig
MLB: Roberts, Holcomb, Robinson, Need
CB: Porter, Wallace, Need x2
S: Fitzpatrick, Kazee, Neal

K: Bos
P: Need
LS: Kuntz

Reactions: T1K

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
By the by. The way the running game spluttered today is why I want to keep investing heavy in the line. Harris and Warren can absolutely gouge teams but Harris in particular needs his first three yards or so clear and they didn't get it. Buffalo won up front, both by guessing the play and through good line play, too often.

Also... I can't give a passing mark to a QB who throws that interception then. You can't do that. That's a gamebreaker. That's maybe a whole different game if Rudolph makes that throw.

But I thought he dealt well with the pressure, which was my big question mark. There was one dumb as hell sack but he evaded a couple of others, one to get a sweet big time throw away, and he was smart about getting rid of it early a few times.

And I'll be curious to see what his passing chart looks like. I thought he started slow but grew into being a guy who could use the intermediate areas of the field well. Don't recall any great deep shots but then I think Buffalo kinda went a bit protect and conservative on their defence after going 14 up, which means you're not going to see them and you take what's given.

All in all... I maybe feel a bit higher on his talent today, depending on how much I think one interception should change things. Numbers look ass but then he didn't get much help from his line, running game didn't spark fear, and the rest of it. Probably not a starter but maybe there's not many number 2s who are clearly better than him.

Reactions: Colonel Mustard

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
By the by. The way the running game spluttered today is why I want to keep investing heavy in the line. Harris and Warren can absolutely gouge teams but Harris in particular needs his first three yards or so clear and they didn't get it. Buffalo won up front, both by guessing the play and through good line play, too often.

Also... I can't give a passing mark to a QB who throws that interception then. You can't do that. That's a gamebreaker. That's maybe a whole different game if Rudolph makes that throw.

But I thought he dealt well with the pressure, which was my big question mark. There was one dumb as hell sack but he evaded a couple of others, one to get a sweet big time throw away, and he was smart about getting rid of it early a few times.

And I'll be curious to see what his passing chart looks like. I thought he started slow but grew into being a guy who could use the intermediate areas of the field well. Don't recall any great deep shots but then I think Buffalo kinda went a bit protect and conservative on their defence after going 14 up, which means you're not going to see them and you take what's given.

All in all... I maybe feel a bit higher on his talent today, depending on how much I think one interception should change things. Numbers look ass but then he didn't get much help from his line, running game didn't spark fear, and the rest of it. Probably not a starter but maybe there's not many number 2s who are clearly better than him.
He only got sacked once, when Jones got beat badly. Not MR’s fault

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Typical Tomlin playoff game - play horribly in n the first half, make a comeback in the second half, then fall short/get blown out.

Reactions: Wattsburgh

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Resigns: ... Wallace (-$5M)

Levi Wallace might have the most disappointing season for his money of anyone on this team not called Mitch Trubisky and yes I know what I basically just said.

He only got sacked once, when Jones got beat badly. Not MR’s fault

I'd have to rewatch to be sure but from memory, that sack, Rudolph had time to see the guy coming and instead of getting rid of it tried to outrun him and failed.

But since that was indeed the only sack, I'm not going to be mad about it. There could have been many more.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'd have to rewatch to be sure but from memory, that sack, Rudolph had time to see the guy coming and instead of getting rid of it tried to outrun him and failed.

But since that was indeed the only sack, I'm not going to be mad about it. There could have been many more.
I'd have to watch that play again to see if Jones even laid a finger on that guy.

That sack is 100% on Jones, especially since he got beat to the inside.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Levi Wallace might have the most disappointing season for his money of anyone on this team not called Mitch Trubisky and yes I know what I basically just said.

I thought Wallace was horrible, like gouge-your-eyes-out horrible, at the beginning of the year but then he got progressively better, towards an average 3CB level.

A bit reticent to go into the offseason with just JPJ and then ????. Pat Pete cannot come back. Dude is already about 80% of the way down the cliff. He was our worst individual player today.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
After the game, and during the game for that matter, Pickins blamed the refs for the L.

I have very mixed feelings on Pickens, would probably trade him if it yielded 1st round value enabling us to get Jayden Daniels...

But I'm glad he feels motivated and that play was a clear & obvious defensive infraction. It was an absurd no-call especially after the tissue soft calls on Myles Jack for roughing and then the PAT scrap with Moore.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I thought Wallace was horrible, like gouge-your-eyes-out horrible, at the beginning of the year but then he got progressively better, towards an average 3CB level.

A bit reticent to go into the offseason with just JPJ and then ????. Pat Pete cannot come back. Dude is already about 80% of the way down the cliff. He was our worst individual player today.

Take the money assigned to Peterson and Wallace and get a good consistent in his prime CB1/2 guy. A Sutton-like guy. Might leave you thin on the depth as you're then relying on Darius Rush/James Pierre type guys, but that seems the better play to me than bringing Wallace back.

I'd have to watch that play again to see if Jones even laid a finger on that guy.

That sack is 100% on Jones, especially since he got beat to the inside.

I don't think Jones laid a finger on him either but at the same time, if the QB has eyes on the guy he needs to make the best decision he can. I don't think he did.

Okay, 3:12 on the highlights -

Pause at about 3:14, it's clear the Buffalo rusher is getting past Jones, he's about 4 yards away from Rudolph and Rudolph looks like he's looking right at him. Throw it away there and then.

Pause at about 3:14 again, just a fraction later, and the rush is now clear of Jones and you can see Rudolph shifting his weight to try and outrun him. He very clearly is aware of the problem and making moves. But it's a bad move. He can't outrun the guy. I think he has time to sling it out of bounds in the vague direction of what I think is Muth heading towards the sideline and avoid the sack, but he's never outrunning the dude.

Yeah, the OL shouldn't put him in that situation (part of me wonders if the call was for Daniels to slide over and Jones left that hole there because he didn't expect it to be a hole, but I've no way of knowing). But insofar as the QB has control over his destiny, he exercised it very poorly. Not a huge deal given his body of work today, but that one is what it is.

ZorkEnchanter

Aug 16, 2020
Totally disagree.

We are trying to normalize that this team can’t win in the playoffs now and it’s horse shit.

The 9-8 Packers came in and smacked around the second highest scoring Cowboys team of all time.

The 9-8 Bucs currently have Philly on the ropes because they came in and had 178 yards to 26 in the first quarter.

How many times is a Tomlin playoff team going to spot a team a 20+ point lead?

Your not wrong but the standard is to squeak by every year and play super safe (no chance to lose it all or win it all)

This smells like 2-3 year extension to me, AR just doesn't want to have a losing year...

That is truly the standard.

Wattsburgh

Apr 3, 2023
Tomlin will wish he left with no losing seasons than leaving with finally getting one.

The fact that he keeps hanging on tells me he thinks he really did win with Cowhers players or something. Because Mike has to know it’s time for a change or that the honeymoon phase is over.

Starting to lose hope in his off the field character now and that has NEVER been an issue.

Pouncey left when he knew it was time. As did DeCastro. Both under Tomlin’s care.

I’m starting to see his speeches no longer walk. I don’t know what else to say. Both the Steelers and Penguins have great generational players not being used just to hang onto to their Head Coaches.

Very weird time to be a Pittsburgh Sports fan. Where dynasty was the goal and now mediocrity.

Last edited:

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
They lost because Josh Allen is a far superior QB. Plain and simple.

People that think we just need to build the line and run the ball just don’t understand how you win in the current NFL.
They were in this in the second half. What sunk all of their momentum was that missed hit by Minkah Fitzpatrick.

The fact that they were even in it up to that point without Watt was impressive and Mason had a few incredible drives and then Minkah did "that" and sucked the air right out.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Every year a player says this and it falls on the coach. He plays favorites a ton. Some players get away with more than the others, kind of like another coach for another Pittsburgh team.

Not that it didn't happen under Cowher too, but in an era where social media is another situation to deal with altogether, the coach has to have the room united and it just seems like every f***ing season under Tomlin, the drama takes a spotlight and ruins the perception of young players while the accountability towards others is nonexistent. f***ing done with seeing all of that.

Reactions: TNT87

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think what pisses me off about this the most is that the Steelers f***ed themselves. The game was going well after the way the first half ended and how they started the third quarter.

Then the refs got involved and Minkah went whack. Ah well.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad